Soundcard or Audio Interface for DAW - & which products?

I guess, my soundcard is too lame for some synthesizers in my DAW.

Got this one after exporting a piece of music with a critical pad of my revolta² synthesizer.

Although I tried many sound drivers in different setting I got always the same painful results:

https://soundcloud.com/master-mi

So I think about buying an external audio interface (guess it's better than another soundcard).

Do you think that one from Steinberg would make it?

http://www.amazon.de/Steinberg-502004313-Audio-Interface-inklusive/dp/B00B19JBW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406474147&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+interface

Or which one would ya prefer?

There is nothing wrong with the audio file you posted on Soundcloud. Not sure what you're trying to say.

If you're referring to the "crackling", it seems to be a part of the synthesizer sound itself, because it is modulating with the rest of the sound.

I tried many sound drivers in different setting I got always the same painful results:
This should confirm what I just said.

There's no need for a new soundcard. Besides, even if you did have a soundcard problem, it wouldn't show up in the exported file. You would only hear it real-time in the DAW. A new soundcard would do absolutely nothing for you.

Edited by Neblix

Yeah, it's an onboard sound card I unfortunately use - it's a VIA HD Audio Soundcard.

@Neblix: No, the crackling sound is not okay - sound's totally different than in my DAW.

In my DAW (before exporting) it sounds like this - much cleaner - less crackling:

https://soundcloud.com/master-mi/revolta-synthesizer-how-it-sounds-within-my-daw

The community of my DAW gave me a hint that I should save for an external soundcard or even better an audio interface and they told me that there should be not even this little crackling sound with this synthesizer in my DAW - it should be totally clear, this sound.

So it's the question which external soundcard or audio interface is a good choice.

MOTU seems to be pretty expensive with over 300/400 bucks.

That one from Steinberg is about 100 - that would be still in my financial range.

There's just the question if it is enough to play all synthesizers correctly.

Are there other special things I have to look for when buying an external soundcard or an audio interface?

(Thanks for the hint with the bus noises - didn't know about this phenomenon.)

(And no, it's not a trial version of my DAW - just have the full premium versions installed I have bought in a store and some of the older versions via online store.)

yeah man I highly doubt it's the soundcard. That shouldn't affect how files are rendered. seems more like an issue within your DAW or the synth plugin.

But if you're serious about making music you should get an external soundcard anyway. I like Presonus stuff, they're pretty affordable.

Yeah, it's an onboard sound card I unfortunately use - it's a VIA HD Audio Soundcard.

@Neblix: No, the crackling sound is not okay - sound's totally different than in my DAW.

In my DAW (before exporting) it sounds like this - much cleaner - less crackling:

https://soundcloud.com/master-mi/revolta-synthesizer-how-it-sounds-within-my-daw

Uh, just so we're clear, there's still some crackling at 0:01 - 0:03, 0:04 - 0:07, and 0:14 - 0:16. It's not as substantial but it's there.

So while you guys argue over the crackling sound, I'm gonna go ahead and make an interface recommendation.

I have this M-Audio M-Track USB thing. I paid like 80 bucks for it and it does all I could ever want. Two direct inputs for guitars and two XLR inputs for mics plus phantom power - it also has a headphone jack.

I think I sort of understand; the DAW's render/live playback is being affected by faulty sound drivers. This would apparently affect exported files, because at this point, the calculation method for storing the audio data is being affected.

I've never heard of this type of problem, but it seems possible, and would seem to explain Master Mi's problem. It's hard to be sure without having the synthesizer myself and trying out the patch.

I'm not the smartest with this tech stuff... this would work for analog synths as well, yeah?

If you're getting noise in your recordings because of a bad audio interface, then a new one would help you with any kind of recording, not just analog synths.

Have you tried using the plugin in a different DAW? Maybe you could try installing a demo version of Ableton Live or something and see if you get the same results.

Also how much RAM/cpu are you working with? I've seen crackly sounds occur when the machine is getting overloaded, usually a dense VST is at fault

I've tried this sound from Magix Maker in Magix Music Studio and exported then - with the best results (as I hear the pad in the DAWs).

Maybe I have to get the Music Studio 'cause of its better Hybrid Audio Engine (although it doesn't make real sense cause Music Maker and Music Studio cost the same).

It's really annoying, cause I have to buy at least 2 Versions of the Music Studio to have the same amount of Synthesizers and Instruments I had in the Music Maker - around 150 - 200 bucks at all - poor Mi (feel milked like a cow). :((

But make sense to try those plugins in other DAWs - but some plugins like Revolta² and DN-e1 (which are really great in my opinion) only work with the engine of Magix - unfortunately.

ah sorry, I thought you were working with an external VST. I would contact Magix tech support about it and let them know as much as you can about your sound card and PC specs, maybe an example project file where the distortion is occuring.

Also, you could always buy an audio interface, and you usually have something like 30 days to return it in case it doesn't seem to fix anything or meet your exact needs.

@G-Mixer - yes that interface would work fine with any kind of analog synth. any sound input device really.

well I'm just simply (and probably stupidly) asking about does the M-Audio interface work with analog synths because I'm planning to start getting that type of stuff.

after looking into it I'm pretty positive it does hahaha

I'm not sure what the question really is... so let's try this.

Your analog synth probably has a 1/4" inch output. It will send a signal along that cable and if your M-Audio has 1/4" inch input, then yes, your interface will receive the signal. It doesn't matter if it's a synth or a guitar or a microphone. Signal is just fluctuations in electricity. The interface will take the electricity (given that the cable is the right cable) and convert it to a digital signal, and you can record it.

I'm just confused because you're essentially asking the same question as "will my USB drive work in a USB port?" My apologies if I'm not really answering the question you're going for.

I've tried this sound from Magix Maker in Magix Music Studio and exported then - with the best results (as I hear the pad in the DAWs).

Maybe I have to get the Music Studio 'cause of its better Hybrid Audio Engine (although it doesn't make real sense cause Music Maker and Music Studio cost the same).

It's really annoying, cause I have to buy at least 2 Versions of the Music Studio to have the same amount of Synthesizers and Instruments I had in the Music Maker - around 150 - 200 bucks at all - poor Mi (feel milked like a cow). :((

But make sense to try those plugins in other DAWs - but some plugins like Revolta² and DN-e1 (which are really great in my opinion) only work with the engine of Magix - unfortunately.

I would seriously try investing in a new software; this program sounds a bit like a scam more than a serious DAW (one reviewer complained about it and referred to Dr. Drum as a better alternative, and that was a terrible software as well). It seems like a cheap DAW that isn't really up to snuff on features or support. The ratings for it are less than desirable. If you want to stick with it, that's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DAW itself is the problem with how shady it seems.

Edited by Neblix

I would seriously try investing in a new software; this program sounds a bit like a scam more than a serious DAW (one reviewer complained about it and referred to Dr. Drum as a better alternative, and that was a terrible software as well). It seems like a cheap DAW that isn't really up to snuff on features or support. The ratings for it are less than desirable. If you want to stick with it, that's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DAW itself is the problem with how shady it seems.

totally agree with that too. unless you're married to it I would try some other options. The good software in this case is more expensive for a reason...

There are good free softwares as well.

Cockos REAPER is a full-featured DAW and is well-supported. You have to buy a license for $60 if you want to sell your music, but if you don't sell your music, you can use it free unlimited with no restrictions.

There are also good free synthesizers; you don't have to stick with Revolta and such.

I'm not sure what the question really is... so let's try this.

Your analog synth probably has a 1/4" inch output. It will send a signal along that cable and if your M-Audio has 1/4" inch input, then yes, your interface will receive the signal. It doesn't matter if it's a synth or a guitar or a microphone. Signal is just fluctuations in electricity. The interface will take the electricity (given that the cable is the right cable) and convert it to a digital signal, and you can record it.

I'm just confused because you're essentially asking the same question as "will my USB drive work in a USB port?" My apologies if I'm not really answering the question you're going for.

no you're answering it and like I said, it was a stupid question hahaha

I was just curious as to what the M-Audio was capable of, but it doesn't matter because I looked it all up and stuff and it's exactly what I would've thought.

So, have bought Samplitude Music Studio - and it seems to work with all the pads which didn't work really good in Music Maker.

I guess it's because of the much better audio engine in Samplitude. It also supports 64 bit systems and has a multicore support (have 4 cores).

Just have an ear on it - just have exported a lil track with a Revolta²-Pad Sound.

https://soundcloud.com/master-mi/samplitude-music-studio-demonstration

Sounds pretty clean with Samplitude Music Studio, aye?

I guess (and many people say this who work with Samplitude now) that the Musik Maker is more for Working with Loops and less with the midi stuff - so more for the mainstream guys who want to make music but who don't have a clue when it comes to notes, midis and the real tough stuff in music production.

So I've just bought the Bid Daddy it seems - yesss. :D

So, have bought Samplitude Music Studio - and it seems to work with all the pads which didn't work really good in Music Maker.

I guess it's because of the much better audio engine in Samplitude. It also supports 64 bit systems and has a multicore support (have 4 cores).

Just have an ear on it - just have exported a lil track with a Revolta²-Pad Sound.

https://soundcloud.com/master-mi/samplitude-music-studio-demonstration

Yeah, this sounds clean of unwanted distortion and crackling.