9] Rich polyphonic instrument

10] Some flourishing arp thing

11] Countermelodic instrument

12] Big awesome pad

13] Alternative polyphonic instrument

14] Alternative countermelodic instrument

15] Alternative lead

16] Another big phat bass

But really though, I almost always have more than 16 because I'm crazy and I layer things like a mofo. :lol:

Now the question is, how many pattern clips do you use? =0 (apparently I've reached 196 before)

Edited by timaeus222

What is this I don't even

Okay, let's attempt to address the topic. :whatevaa:

1] Kick

2] Snare

3] Hi Hat

4] Open Hi Hat

5] Toms

6] Cymbals

7] Big phat bass

8] Uber-expressive Lead

9] Rich polyphonic instrument

10] Some flourishing arp thing

11] Countermelodic instrument

12] Big awesome pad

13] Alternative polyphonic instrument

14] Alternative countermelodic instrument

15] Alternative lead

16] Another big phat bass

But really though, I almost always have more than 16 because I'm crazy and I layer things like a mofo. :lol:

Now the question is, how many pattern clips do you use? =0 (apparently I've reached 196 before)

Assuming you use FL Studio, have you ever considered using the Patcher? It would save you a lot of room when it comes to layering. I can't say it would help with the amount of memory necessary for the VSTs, Soundfonts, or whatever. It's basically the same workflow, just simplified. :)!! The issue might be when it comes to EQing and such for each synth. :whatevaa:

Assuming you use FL Studio, have you ever considered using the Patcher? It would save you a lot of room when it comes to layering. I can't say it would help with the amount of memory necessary for the VSTs, Soundfonts, or whatever. It's basically the same workflow, just simplified. :)!! The issue might be when it comes to EQing and such for each synth. :whatevaa:

Nah, since I'm used to layering with the Layer tool, and somehow I'm able to keep a bunch of things organized in my head (sometimes I reach 60+ mixer tracks, 50+ playlist tracks, and 100+ VST wrappers, and I'm okay with that). If I end up EQing for each synth, I'd just route each to their own mixer tracks, and if they're for the same purpose, then I route each of those mixer tracks to one bus for cohesion. And since EQing has somehow become fun for me now, I don't mind EQing a zillion instruments either. :)

Metal Man the excessive smilies in the topic post makes me suspicious that you're a bit drunk.

But fine, I'll play.

1. Piano

2. Acoustic Drum Kit

3. Acoustic Bass

4. Violins

5. Violas

6. Cellos

7. Horns

8. Synth Instance (I'll use it for a pad)

9. Synth Instance 2 (I'll use it for leads maybe)

10. Flute

11. Oboe

12. Vibraphone

13. Acoustic Guitar

14. Electric Guitar

15. Organ

16. Harp

Hahaha, guess I was a little.

I'm building some templates but all I have for now is Miroslav, so for each instance of Miroslav, I have 16 instrument slots.

I made one with strings only, one with percussions only, etc

But I'm trying to make one more general with a little bit of everything.

]1[| French horns 1 LP

]2[| Trombones FF LP

]3[| Tombones 1

]4[| Bass drum hall 00

]5[| Cymbals Hall 00

]6[| Gongs 01

]7[| Oboes-Clarinets

]8[| Marimba

[9 ] Cinema Strings

[10] Split Choir

[11] Ethereal Orchestra Strings

[12] Bassons 1

[13] Classical Guitar 2

[14] Bell Play 1 Comp

[15] GM Perc Map 2

[16] METAL PLATES

Edited by Metal Man

Nah, since I'm used to layering with the Layer tool, and somehow I'm able to keep a bunch of things organized in my head (sometimes I reach 60+ mixer tracks, 50+ playlist tracks, and 100+ VST wrappers, and I'm okay with that). If I end up EQing for each synth, I'd just route each to their own mixer tracks, and if they're for the same purpose, then I route each of those mixer tracks to one bus for cohesion. And since EQing has somehow become fun for me now, I don't mind EQing a zillion instruments either. :)

I was doing a collaboration once with a friend, and we got about 60 synths put in. I handed him the collaboration back for him to fill in whatever he would like, but we never got around to even completing it. Too much stuff scares me. I like to keep at a minimum of at least 10 to 15 sounds, that's excluding the drums and FX. I would have to devote a ton of time in if I was doing stuff like you. I'm so unmotivated though, and it's mainly because of EQing and not really understanding compression, or when to apply it, if necessary.

I was doing a collaboration once with a friend, and we got about 60 synths put in. I handed him the collaboration back for him to fill in whatever he would like, but we never got around to even completing it. Too much stuff scares me. I like to keep at a minimum of at least 10 to 15 sounds, that's excluding the drums and FX. I would have to devote a ton of time in if I was doing stuff like you. I'm so unmotivated though, and it's mainly because of EQing and not really understanding compression, or when to apply it, if necessary.

Yeah, it helped once I found a way to organize things. I tend to group drums together, similar sounds together (i.e. synth leads, pads+drones, misc. FX, draggable samples, etc.), and similar automation clips together. My project files get pretty big, but that's something I've become proud of, knowing that I can say "wow, I did that and I didn't get confused. Cool."

Hahaha, guess I was a little.

I'm building some templates but all I have for now is Miroslav, so for each instance of Miroslav, I have 16 instrument slots.

I made one with strings only, one with percussions only, etc

But I'm trying to make one more general with a little bit of everything.

]1[| French horns 1 LP

]2[| Trombones FF LP

]3[| Tombones 1

]4[| Bass drum hall 00

]5[| Cymbals Hall 00

]6[| Gongs 01

]7[| Oboes-Clarinets

]8[| Marimba

[9 ] Cinema Strings

[10] Split Choir

[11] Ethereal Orchestra Strings

[12] Bassons 1

[13] Classical Guitar 2

[14] Bell Play 1 Comp

[15] GM Perc Map 2

[16] METAL PLATES

Oh, were you referring to orchestral? 'Cause I have a different one for that, now that I've done something of that sort.

1. Violins I Legato

2. Violins II Legato

3. Violas Legato

4. Cellos Legato

5. Contrabasses Legato

6. Ensemble Spiccato Low

7. Ensemble Spiccato High

8. Ensemble Tremolo

9. Ensemble Pizzicato

10. Violins Trill

11. Violins Pizzicato

12. Contrabasses Pizzicato

13. Ensemble Sordino

14. Violins Harmonics

15. Contrabasses Harmonics

16. ???

For the rest I just pick whatever fits the moment. =P For something I'm currently doing:

1. Cinematic Drums

2. Acoustic Drum Kit

3. Physically Modeled Piano

4. Big Sub Bass

5. Harp (possibly with glitch effects)

6. Glockenspiel

7. Timpani

8. Bass Drum

9. Snare Drums

10. Various Cymbals & Gongs

11. Dubstep Wobble (yup)

12. Resonant Glass Bottle-esque synth patch

13. Light Atmospheric SFX

14. Big Underscoring Synth Bass

15. Tubular Bells

16. Bass Drop

Edited by timaeus222

Yeah, it helped once I found a way to organize things. I tend to group drums together, similar sounds together (i.e. synth leads, pads+drones, misc. FX, draggable samples, etc.), and similar automation clips together. My project files get pretty big, but that's something I've become proud of, knowing that I can say "wow, I did that and I didn't get confused. Cool."

I love using automation. When I first started using FL, I saw a demo track and it had these weird looking colored things (automation clips) with a line in the middle that ended up being squiggly and stuff. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I saw what it could do, and I tried to Google it, but I wasn't getting what I wanted because I didn't know what it was called. I tried to deconstruct the demo to see if I could find what I was looking for, ended up finding out it was called automation, then Google'd that to see how to do it. I like having the kick, claps, hats, and snares all compiled in one pattern. My friend separates each. I think making a whole drum sequence and duplicating it for variation is a lot quicker and more organized, though. And what are you thinking using 77 channels? :lmassoff: I don't even go that far. Maybe one day, though.

I love using automation. When I first started using FL, I saw a demo track and it had these weird looking colored things (automation clips) with a line in the middle that ended up being squiggly and stuff. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I saw what it could do, and I tried to Google it, but I wasn't getting what I wanted because I didn't know what it was called. I tried to deconstruct the demo to see if I could find what I was looking for, ended up finding out it was called automation, then Google'd that to see how to do it. I like having the kick, claps, hats, and snares all compiled in one pattern. My friend separates each. I think making a whole drum sequence and duplicating it for variation is a lot quicker and more organized, though. And what are you thinking using 77 channels? :lmassoff: I don't even go that far. Maybe one day, though.

Yeah, I usually put all my drums in one pattern clip and do "Make Unique" for variation, too. Sometimes I separate them if I'm doing "buildup" drums or something where I slowly bring in new percussion.

And the 77 mixer tracks... are from the oodles of layering and all the diverse samples. There are a bunch of draggable cinematic samples and synth layers in that project file, and all of it was intentional (o_o). Somehow I'm not worried I'll finally get to 99/99 mixer tracks used up. My max was 80. :lol:

Yeah, I usually put all my drums in one pattern clip and do "Make Unique" for variation, too. Sometimes I separate them if I'm doing "buildup" drums or something where I slowly bring in new percussion.

And the 77 mixer tracks... are from the oodles of layering and all the diverse samples. There are a bunch of draggable cinematic samples and synth layers in that project file, and all of it was intentional (o_o). Somehow I'm not worried I'll finally get to 99/99 mixer tracks used up. My max was 80. :lol:

I'm the same way with the build-up drums as well as well as with rolling snares and crashes. By the way, I took note that the image you posted earlier says Vectorman. Is that currently in the works? I'd like to hear that when it's done. I didn't get to play that game that often, but my best friend liked it a lot. It was pretty cool back in the day. I think if you reach 99/99 in the mixer, you may have to branch out with the Patcher. :wink:

I'm the same way with the build-up drums as well as well as with rolling snares and crashes. By the way, I took note that the image you posted earlier says Vectorman. Is that currently in the works? I'd like to hear that when it's done. I didn't get to play that game that often, but my best friend liked it a lot. It was pretty cool back in the day. I think if you reach 99/99 in the mixer, you may have to branch out with the Patcher. :wink:

Yup, watch for the BadAss Vol. 3 album (it's the MidEast track)!

also [/offtopic] oops. :-P

Hm... what else.

Something I've done before for "Funkstep", but super simplified:

1. E. Piano (with and without wah pedal)

2. Claps

3. Typical drums

4. Soft synth lead

5. Deeeeeep slap bass

6. Dubstep wobble

7. DX7 bass

8. Flexitoooooooooone

9. Cowbeeeeeeeeell

10. Jazzy synth lead / countermelody lead

11. Synth lead #3 (countermelody)

12. Synth brass

13. Piano (with and without glitching)