Notice Me Senpai! (Sakura's SFA2 theme remix)

Docjekyll

**EDIT 1/18/2015** posted an updated WIP link

updated WIP link: https://soundcloud.com/docjekyll/notice-me-senpai-wip

old WIP link: http://cjdevsite.com/misc/music/Notice%20Me%20Senpai!.mp3

Source: Sakura's theme from Street Fighter Alpha 2 (on YouTube)

Sakura.png

About Me:

I'll introduce myself since I'm new. I'm Docjekyll (aka Chris Johnson, @jhnsnc). I've been lurking on OC Remix since about 2004, but I just recently decided I would try to post something. Music is just a hobby for me, but one I rather enjoy. I rarely share any of my music with anyone besides my wife and a friend or two.

About this remix:

I've had this song idea sitting around as a rough sketch on my hard drive for about 9 years. I'm pretty sure that it's not up to the OC Remix quality standards, but I promised myself I would at least get some feedback after turning this old idea into a full song.

As someone with relatively demanding musical taste and relatively low skill, I've gotten pretty much incapable of constructive, objective feedback for myself.

Edited by Docjekyll
adding updated WIP link, fixing old link

I've had this song idea sitting around as a rough sketch on my hard drive for about 9 years. I'm pretty sure that it's not up to the OC Remix quality standards, but I promised myself I would at least get some feedback after turning this old idea into a full song.

As someone with relatively demanding musical taste and relatively low skill, I've gotten pretty much incapable of constructive, objective feedback for myself.

Hey man! I've recently covered this theme myself! (

) Gotta love Sakura - its one of the funnest themes in Street Fighter History! So, I'd be more than happy to give you some feedback on this one!

- Overall this isn't half bad. I agree that it wouldn't pass the judges, but its certainly better than some of my early work. The mixing and composition is pretty respectable, with some standout moments (like 1:50? Awesome!)

- I'm not sure what you are using for samples, but certain aspects of the mix are held back simply by your synth choices. I'd even go so far to argue that its the single biggest limiting factor. The mixing isn't bad, and your composition never hits any off bits, and there are some highlights along the way but ultimately, I feel like its a samples issue.

- Try to find some better quality samples. (Zebra2 and Nexus2 are two of my current favorites, but hunt around - there are literally hundreds of places to find new sounds!) Your pads, arps, and background synth effects sounded the best of what you had, the lead and bass we're probably the weakest elements. Play around and try to find something that sounds a bit better overall.

- Another big trick is layering. Rather than having a single 'lead' synth instrument, try having a few and blending the levels to create a unique sound.

- The 'Woosh' sound that hits at 2:03 and several other times during the mix is being completely overused. I used to be very guilty of doing this exact same thing. The best advice I can give you is to not rely on a single 'effect' to mix up your drum patterns and instead play with your drums a LOT more. Your drums and percussion is another big thing holding this back, drums need to change more and become more dynamic. Right now it works and it sounds okay, but after awhile things tend to get boring because its just not changing enough. Your Kick sample is solid, but Im not much of a fan of your hihat samples.

- The part that hits at 1:50 is freaking' awesome. It's a bit limited by your samples, but it's one of the coolest parts of the mix and I'd love to see it expanded upon!

- Overall? Not half bad at all :) Keep at it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the feedback, k-wix. It's been quite a while but I've learned a lot and made some progress.

Here's a more recent WIP link for this song: https://soundcloud.com/docjekyll/notice-me-senpai-wip

It's still not done. There are a few sections I want to rework and I need to work on the mix a lot (I'm having a hard time either having the mix be too quiet or too 'muddy' sounding).

I could use some feedback from folks on the improvements.

• 3 weeks later...