Music Creator 6?

Music Creator 6 is a slimmed-down version of SONAR X3. I haven't used Music Creator 6, but I use SONAR X3 and like it. It looks like the main differences between Music Creator 6 and SONAR X3 are that the former doesn't come with as many instruments/effects, has a track limit (32 audio, 128 MIDI, 8 buses), is 32-bit only rather than both 32- and 64-bit, and doesn't support VST3 (which probably isn't a problem for you). More complete comparison here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=205802602

It's probably worth $12.49; just be aware that the included virtual instruments and sounds are pretty limited, so you're likely going to have buy your own VSTs and/or look for free stuff to download to expand your sonic palette.

Definitely don't buy it after it goes back up to full price ($50), though, because the entry-level version of SONAR X3 is only $60 on Steam.

Edited by Moseph

My instinct says no. See how it says things like "look, this DAW lets you pan! It also lets you adjust volumes! And drag stuff around!" Any DAW can do that. It's pointing out details that are basic necessities in any good DAW. (I'm being a little sarcastic but that's what I'm seeing)

So any alternatives? Many.

FL Studio

Sonar (higher versions)

Reaper

Logic

Reason

etc.

I don't know what OS you have, but I would lean towards Reason for the plugins that come with it, or FL Studio for the workflow (but not-so-good plugins that come with it).

Edited by timaeus222

Also worth noting: Music Creator 6 uses the same project file format as SONAR, so if you upgrade to SONAR later your projects will still be compatible.

EDIT:

Regarding the easy-peasy-make-music-just-like-the-pros-do language used in Music Creator 6's marketing blurbs: Music Creator 6 is an attempt to capture the casual market segment that doesn't really know anything about DAWs. Cakewalk's in a kind of weird place in the DAW scene where they're using what is at its core the same program to compete in both the high-end Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools market and the bargain-basement entry-level market. Which is nothing new, I guess, since there have always been multiple versions of a lot of DAWs, but I've never seen such a huge difference in the focus of the ad copy at the various levels as with Cakewalk's stuff.

Edited by Moseph

I don't know what OS you have, but I would lean towards Reason for the plugins that come with it, or FL Studio for the workflow (but not-so-good plugins that come with it).

Most of gol's plugins are legit, albeit some aren't included with producer edition, but then the props also sell their best plugins as rack extensions now instead of including them with Reason. FL signature bundle is about the same cost as Reason IIRC and comes with FL's best plugins minus Harmor.

OTOH Reason does come with much better sample content, and also has much more good content available for it's native sampler than what IL has for DirectWave(some good ISW stuff though). If you're looking at these two DAWs on included gear, I think that's a much bigger difference than the synthesizers or the effects

Edited by shadowpsyc

Most of gol's plugins are legit, albeit some aren't included with producer edition, but then the props also sell their best plugins as rack extensions now instead of including them with Reason. FL signature bundle is about the same cost as Reason IIRC and comes with FL's best plugins minus Harmor.

YMMV, but honestly, I ended up not using many of the given plugins (other than Fruity Delay 2, Blood Overdrive, Waveshaper, Parametric EQ 2, PanOMatic, and other basic ones) and instead integrated external resources into the experience after about a year. Various Kontakt libraries, Zebra2, Goldbaby drums, etc. I tend to value ease-of-use more than the capabilities to produce certain types of sounds when searching for plugins.

Edited by timaeus222

Def watch some videos and try out some demos. Each DAW can have a very different feel. You need to figure out which one is fun to use for you. You also need to know your preferred work flow.

Music Creator 6 + Z3TA+2 Bundle for $32 is a steal. Z3ta 2 is an amazing synth and would be all you would need for the conceivable future. The clip launcher is an excellent feature most DAWs do not have.

Remember no matter what you decide just have fun!