Zelda alttp - Dark World [Funk/Jazz/Odd meter]

Nostalvania

I always wanted to remix Dark World from lttp, and i always thought that it would fit into a 7/8 rhythm (and i was right). Not finished yet, but here's what i've got so far.

Remix: https://app.box.com/s/qmjsrz4t86go1xrkaj7hw662iflng5ng

Source: http://youtu.be/fde_HaMXCo8

Definitely a more faithful approach, do you agree? ;-)

Edited by Nostalvania

I love the concept; I have a few suggestions to take it even farther.

1) A more varied bass line would be good, especially under the melody, which is fairly sustained.

2) More dynamic variation would help; the piece sits at pretty much the same level. Even the piano comping is at a fairly even level.

3) I'd look for a different organ preset (or, if you're using a plugin or keyboard that has a proper B3 simulation, change your drawbar settings). Your patch exposes one of the high overtones and sustains it, especially near the start, and I'm finding it fairly piercing. If I had to guess, it sounds like the drawbars are at 008000008 initially. That's a great setting for some funky comping where you're playing percussively and fast, but for the long sustained parts in the melody, it just feels like too much, especially when the melody is played fairly high.

I love the concept; I have a few suggestions to take it even farther.

1) A more varied bass line would be good, especially under the melody, which is fairly sustained.

2) More dynamic variation would help; the piece sits at pretty much the same level. Even the piano comping is at a fairly even level.

3) I'd look for a different organ preset (or, if you're using a plugin or keyboard that has a proper B3 simulation, change your drawbar settings). Your patch exposes one of the high overtones and sustains it, especially near the start, and I'm finding it fairly piercing. If I had to guess, it sounds like the drawbars are at 008000008 initially. That's a great setting for some funky comping where you're playing percussively and fast, but for the long sustained parts in the melody, it just feels like too much, especially when the melody is played fairly high.

Thanks for the feedback man!

Ok, i'll try to vary the bassline some more, although i don't want the bass to be overly active.

I agree about the dynamics, i'll see what can be done.

Regarding the organ; yeah, it's a jazz organ plugin with a B3 simulation. I'll try some different drawbar settings.

Edited by Nostalvania

I always wanted to remix Dark World from lttp, and i always thought that it would fit into a 7/8 rhythm (and i was right). Not finished yet, but here's what i've got so far.

Remix: https://app.box.com/s/qmjsrz4t86go1xrkaj7hw662iflng5ng

Source: http://youtu.be/fde_HaMXCo8

Definitely a more faithful approach, do you agree? ;-)

My Favourite ALTtP theme, i enjoyed this remix a lot, i liked the idea. I have only 2 "problems" with it:

The piano sounds fake. Not fake as in performance, because it sounds real in that aspect. But the samples/vst used doesnt sound right. At least that's what i hear. Maybe a bit of reeverb could help it a bit.

The other is the kick, this is prolly me complaining but i find the sound distracting.

Aside from that, really good job.

I agree with pretty much everything Kanthos said. That high part of the organ is pretty piercing, but I think the dynamic variation and varied bassline could be remedied in one swoop by adding a quiet section shortly when/after your WIP track ends. Some solo bass getting down with some quiet drumming into a gradual reprise of the main theme is something I would personally do, especially after those neat little fills right at the end there. It would also serve to the added benefit of making your mix slightly less faithful to the source, but I digress.

I can't really comment on the piano issues people are mentioning.

I like it! I can't wait to hear the finished product.

Thanks guys!

The piano doesn't sound that bad to me actually. Anyways, i think i could tweak the sound a bit or use another sample, i just don't have that many alternatives in that regard.

@ timaeus: Sorry for being a spoiler but i think i want to work again on that bass part myself, aight? :-)

Edited by Nostalvania

Thanks guys!

The piano doesn't sound that bad to me actually. Anyways, i think i could tweak the sound a bit or use another sample, i just don't have that many alternatives in that regard.

@ timaeus: Sorry for being a spoiler but i think i want to work again on that bass part myself, aight? :-)

It doesn't sound bad, but it could sound much better. What are you using exactly for it?

It doesn't sound bad, but it could sound much better. What are you using exactly for it?

I used The Giant from the kontakt library.

As for weird time signatures; i once wrote a mix in 9/8 to 3/4 to 5/4 back to 9/8 and also with a part that has a 4/4 superimposed on 9/8. :lol:

Edited by Nostalvania

I think maybe if you add a lead guitar somewhere, it will give it a fuller Jazz band feel.

great work btw. Sounds like something from Star Ocean:The Last Hope. Awesome music in that game.

the intro leading up to the organ is my favorite. the intensity of the piano may can go just a little bit softer, but keep at it yo!

Much nicer drawbar setting! A couple other fine points about the organ: one is that the organ playing the melody can be a bit more full, or at least boosted in volume a bit. The other is that you don't have to be afraid of the fast rotor setting. For example, in the section at 1:32, you could go to the fast setting halfway through, leave it, and sustain the final chord for longer, using the swell pedal to take down the volume and let the chord die out a bit. The best B3 players in this kind of style are always switching rotor speeds (and even drawbar positions!) on a regular basis; a bit more variety will make the part more lifelike.

Love the bass solo!

Much nicer drawbar setting! A couple other fine points about the organ: one is that the organ playing the melody can be a bit more full, or at least boosted in volume a bit. The other is that you don't have to be afraid of the fast rotor setting. For example, in the section at 1:32, you could go to the fast setting halfway through, leave it, and sustain the final chord for longer, using the swell pedal to take down the volume and let the chord die out a bit. The best B3 players in this kind of style are always switching rotor speeds (and even drawbar positions!) on a regular basis; a bit more variety will make the part more lifelike.

Love the bass solo!

Ok, i'll try to use the fast rotor setting a bit more. I'm glad you like the bass solo :smile:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah, this is just mostly me being picky as a huge lover of the B3 (despite never having played the actual organ; I really need to change that). A keyboard with a proper organ emulation and drawbars is a big part of my live sound. Either way, this is a great concept, and especially with the bass solo taking it out of the realm of a straight melodic cover in a different time signature, I think it has a good chance of being accepted here once it's finished, if you choose to submit.

Made some progress https://app.box.com/s/pdxy7bnp68gy79v1zudjjwpkesm6b86c

Added one more C section and an outro groove. I think the arrangement is near completion, just have to find a proper ending.

EDIT: Arrangement is finished! I added a short organ solo and an ending. I dunno, maybe the bassline at 3:20 is a bit too much, ha ha.

New version: https://app.box.com/s/0nrnjgj394t9h477lpkgq4664wp1qbh3

Edited by Nostalvania