Fire Emblem: Sealed Sword - "For The Commanders"

MannieFresh555

Hey guys just need some advice/help for a remix I submitted. Here are some problems noted that I got back from someone:

Percussion-style SFX from :58-1:05

Electric guitar sample - first used from 2:25-3:22

Stomp/crunch sound - first used from 3:16-3:21

Piano sequencing exposed as rigid, e.g. 3:24-3:36, 3:44-3:47

Very exposed, unnatural-sounding string articulations and decays 7:52, 7:55, 8:14

I really love this mix, and I want it to be really good in order for it to be accepted. If anyone wants to drop their 2 cents or even collab a little bit, I would widely appreciate it! Articulations and all! :350:Here is the song:

and here is the actual audio file

http://www.2shared.com/audio/je2fvTKu/Fire_Emblem_-_For_The_Commande.html

Edited by MannieFresh555
Better title

That's a really cool mix! Very in-depth, very cinematic, and I love the various styles. Just some feedback I had from watching/listening for you to consider (I'm no expert I'm just going by ear):

-At the very beginning (about 0:08 ), the sample from the original game skips a bit. this is likely just from improper sample placement in the sequencer; it's an easy fix, but otherwise I really like the intro.

-Up until about the 1:00 mark, I was loving every second of it. That odd reverbed clap at around 0:58 (like you noted) does sound a bit strange and jarring. Maybe it's the filter on the sample, I'm not sure. A higher-quality/different version (or just a different sample) should be considered.

-I REALLY love 1:10 to 1:55; I absolutely adore that orchestral/tribal percussion sound. At about 2:26, the guitar and fx comes in. While I do like the smooth transition, the guitar does sound a bit synthetic. I don't know if it is just a midi guitar or a sample library, but if it is, then I would suggest getting a guitar player to record it. If you don't know one, you can always ask here; someone would love to do a recording for a mix (usually :-) ).

-Around 3:16, the same issue arises with the clap again; it sounds a bit jarring, another sample should be considered.

-At about 4:00 you had a cutting sound to match up with the video (will address the video in a sec). Quite frankly I though it was really disgusting; I feel that a more metallic effect (like

) would fit better and not pull the listener out of the mood quite so much as the fully visceral one does. Once again, completely up to you though; I don't think it would be rejected on that merit alone. Also same with 6:34, but to a lesser extent.

-The kicks/bass at 5:26 sounds really distorted. I would suggest a cleaner sample to fit the feel of the current movement.

-Guitar at 5:55 sounds much better than earlier, but I feel it could be more dynamic in terms of volume. At 6:03, there's an odd visceral/flame-y sound effect that has the same problem as the sword slice; too gross (for lack of a better word). And as for the sword sound at 6:34, I feel that it lacked the impact that it required, as it is basically the climax of the entire song.

Okay, now let me address the video. The video is really really cool; you fit the song to the video quite well, and watching it is a blast. However, I listened to the audio-only mp3, and a minor flaw was apparent: some of the effects like the marching or the crowd screaming sound kind of out-of-place. I feel that the video was a major concern, and the effects do add to a more cinematic feel to the overall production, but as a song it sounds kind of weird. And don 't get me wrong, 95% of your song is really solid, and I love it, but I feel that adding and changing some things would be paramount to getting it posted on OCR.

I really do want to stress that this is an awesome mix, and as a massive fan of Fire Emblem, I love it quite a bit.

The video was quite nice and made me want to pick up the game to play.

Some of the percussion and effects stand out from the mix, and should sit better in it. (At least the lo-fi steps around 1:00, the percussion at 1:10-1:56, the crunchy bass drum starting around 5:28).

There's that synth bass from 2:25-2:48 that stays the same through the part, I feel like it should follow/adjust to the last chord change.

I'm not sure, but the bell-like trip-hoppy stuff coming in at 3:47-4:02 sound like they were playing in a different key/mode. It's a bit strange, like another piece fading in.

When the strings get louder during the last two minutes it sound like the volume knob was used to make it louder, instead of the "playing" of the strings, if that makes sense.

Pretty good work work overall, maintaining interest in such a long piece.. I liked the narrative flow, though some of the transitions feel a bit loose if you're not watching the video. I think you have the basic believable orchestral sound down fairly well, though I'm not by far a good judge of that.

The video was quite nice and made me want to pick up the game to play.

Some of the percussion and effects stand out from the mix, and should sit better in it. (At least the lo-fi steps around 1:00, the percussion at 1:10-1:56, the crunchy bass drum starting around 5:28).

There's that synth bass from 2:25-2:48 that stays the same through the part, I feel like it should follow/adjust to the last chord change.

I'm not sure, but the bell-like trip-hoppy stuff coming in at 3:47-4:02 sound like they were playing in a different key/mode. It's a bit strange, like another piece fading in.

When the strings get louder during the last two minutes it sound like the volume knob was used to make it louder, instead of the "playing" of the strings, if that makes sense.

Pretty good work work overall, maintaining interest in such a long piece.. I liked the narrative flow, though some of the transitions feel a bit loose if you're not watching the video. I think you have the basic believable orchestral sound down fairly well, though I'm not by far a good judge of that.

I really appreciate the pointers. I did edit the volume nob on the strings at the end. I fent it woild give a realer effect on the ending.....obviously it backfired.

also the bell thingy is tuned a little too much up. I will either have to fix it or cut it completely. I will have to make it mp3 friendly also. i think i may have worried too much on the video and not the actual song. if i didnt show the vid, it may have been a fail alltogether. im thankful that it didnt yet.

thank you so much

I really appreciate the pointers. I did edit the volume nob on the strings at the end. I fent it woild give a realer effect on the ending.....obviously it backfired.

also the bell thingy is tuned a little too much up. I will either have to fix it or cut it completely. I will have to make it mp3 friendly also. i think i may have worried too much on the video and not the actual song. if i didnt show the vid, it may have been a fail alltogether. im thankful that it didnt yet.

thank you so much

Yeah, I felt that you put a large amount of time into the video, and it shows :-) . I think that a few minor edits can make it a great standalone piece too.

i may have to really go back on the drawing board. im bout to clarify what sounds you pointed out:

3:16 isnt actually a clap....its a kick. some of these sounds may feel somewhat out of place because i use alot of instruments from hip hop packages, since that is what I started out doing back in the day. I may have to find natural tribal kicks to make it sound more real instead of left out. same thing with 2:05. Thats from a rick ross song lol. Same thing with 5:26. I just have to get some more natural sounds. I do have the STORMDRUM VST, so i gotta get to work

If the cut is disgusting, maybe i just have to do without it completely and find a way to merge both parts before and after the stab sound.

reverb clap has to go.......

the flame effect at 6:03 is actually dragon foot steps. I got samples from Skyrim for alot of the sound effects

overall i still need to go back in the wprkshop. One thing though. for strings, what is the best one to use? I have EDIROL ORCHESTRA and CAKEWALK SI STRINGS, but i need something realer where i can mess with the effects alot better

P.S.: my computer is old.....windows XP old lol

I literally had to separate each song in 10 different files, then export--combine--export again. its gonna be tough but with you guys advice, and hopefully others, i can fix whats needed.

I went here last February before i submitted it and no one replied...so i just submitted it anyway. I really appreciate yall replying to me.

i may have to really go back on the drawing board. im bout to clarify what sounds you pointed out:

3:16 isnt actually a clap....its a kick. some of these sounds may feel somewhat out of place because i use alot of instruments from hip hop packages, since that is what I started out doing back in the day. I may have to find natural tribal kicks to make it sound more real instead of left out. same thing with 2:05. Thats from a rick ross song lol. Same thing with 5:26. I just have to get some more natural sounds. I do have the STORMDRUM VST, so i gotta get to work

If the cut is disgusting, maybe i just have to do without it completely and find a way to merge both parts before and after the stab sound.

reverb clap has to go.......

the flame effect at 6:03 is actually dragon foot steps. I got samples from Skyrim for alot of the sound effects

overall i still need to go back in the wprkshop. One thing though. for strings, what is the best one to use? I have EDIROL ORCHESTRA and CAKEWALK SI STRINGS, but i need something realer where i can mess with the effects alot better

P.S.: my computer is old.....windows XP old lol

I literally had to separate each song in 10 different files, then export--combine--export again. its gonna be tough but with you guys advice, and hopefully others, i can fix whats needed.

I went here last February before i submitted it and no one replied...so i just submitted it anyway. I really appreciate yall replying to me.

Haha, I posted a WIP of a fire emblem song a few weeks ago, and I had the same problem :mrgreen: . I think people just aren't familiar with the source material, especially for a Japanese only game. I however am familiar with FE6, so I hope my 2 cents was helpful. As for strings, I unfortunately have no good advice; I'm somewhat unfamiliar with both of those, but from what I understand, Edirol Orchestral can be really good if sequenced properly.

As for samples, you can find many free samples online, and I think if you are just looking for one or 2 specific ones you should be fine and not have to pay much (if anything at all) for quality.

• 2 weeks later...