A Castlevania/Deep Purple tribute - Wicked Child

Boogie

Hi everyone. :mrgreen:

Here's my new cover, wicked child, with a little surprise for all Deep Purple fans out there :wink:

Please dont hesitate to post your suggestions, comments or anything.

Here is the video version:

But since youtube's compression sword is legendary. Here's the HQ mp3

https://soundcloud.com/the-game-civilization/castlevania-wicked-child-a-deep-purple-tribute

Greetings from México :mrgreen:

Edited by Boogie

wicked child in time!!

awesome!

2 criticisms: i thought the legendary burn arpeggios could've been hitting harder at a different point in time. they were cool to hear but their introduction didn't seem as natural as in the original. but that's setting the bar rather high, right? :)

the organ could've had more rocks and dirt in it (in german we say "schweineorgel", pig organ). it has a lot to do with the leslie speaker just goin apeshit. listening on cheap speakers so i can't say for sure, but it appears to be lacking that. it's a good sound choice for 4:35+, anyway.

relistened to burn now, and yeah, the schweineorgel part before the sacral melodic part is what it's all about to me. i was also amazed how that one sounds in the original(4:24)... synthesizer and piano. freaking cool. forgot about that.

one more thing, i think you could've just played the main riff at some point. why be subtle about it at this point, hehe.

anyway, freaking nice mashup, i love this kind of venture. rock onnn

Edited by Nase

wicked child in time!!

awesome!

2 criticisms: i thought the legendary burn arpeggios could've been hitting harder at a different point in time. they were cool to hear but their introduction didn't seem as natural as in the original. but that's setting the bar rather high, right? :)

the organ could've had more rocks and dirt in it (in german we say "schweineorgel", pig organ). it has a lot to do with the leslie speaker just goin apeshit. listening on cheap speakers so i can't say for sure, but it appears to be lacking that. it's a good sound choice for 4:35+, anyway.

relistened to burn now, and yeah, the schweineorgel part before the sacral melodic part is what it's all about to me. i was also amazed how that one sounds in the original(4:24)... synthesizer and piano. freaking cool. forgot about that.

one more thing, i think you could've just played the main riff at some point. why be subtle about it at this point, hehe.

anyway, freaking nice mashup, i love this kind of venture. rock onnn

Wow thank you so much for your comment.

Yep I know exactly what you mean regarding the guitar arpeggios jeje. It was difficult because Wicked Child is in A major and Burn is in G major so I had to pitch wicked child one tone down. The original idea was to play the same guitar solo but there was a conflict in the chord progression I didn't find a good arrangement to introduce the complete burn solo... so this one was the more natural way I could come up with. I have much to learn :mrgreen:

I agree with you about the organ part. I don't play keyboards so I made the solo on my guitar and translated it to the organ using a VST plugin called B4 by Native Instruments. It was really difficult to find the right sound. Most of the time I had no idea what was I doing :< ... I tried the "Lord" and "Purple" presets but they didn't work :-( they sounded like accordions so I decided to go for a gothic kind of organ and clean it up for the solo.

Jon Lord was a genius there is a lot of things going on in the sacral melodic part, 3 organs 1 piano and 1 synth making that chorus in the back. It was crazy :banghead: ... I love that guy.

Thanks again and yea try to listen to it with headphones. Before uploading my cover I tested it on cheap laptop/tv speakers too and yea it sounds a bit awful :mrgreen:

Greetings.

PS: I see you have a Space Station Sillicon Valley remix. Man I love that game and it's soundtrack awesome job!!.

Edited by Boogie

well, the 70's recordings of deep purple are super hard to match, not only playing but also sound wise. i really like the compositions but the sound is a different matter. it's kind of perfect.

and i'm not even that huge a sound guy. it's just so...crisp but also jelly. and other super vague synesthetic adjectives.

your recording sounds more 80's ;) not a bad thing, just not what i adore so much about dp's stuff.

b4 should be enough to do a decent job at anything lord-like, i think. i've heard its leslie emulation isn't the absolute best, but really, it's mostly in the playing/sequencing and programming.

oh and thanks about the remix, why don't you just leave a note in the comments section? remixers like that, and i'm no exclusion. :) what you wrote here is enough, no need for huge reviews.

Edited by Nase

• 5 weeks later...