ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 12-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Chris Hughan
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

Send a message via ICQ to Ginnsu Send a message via AIM to Ginnsu Send a message via MSN to Ginnsu Send a message via Yahoo to Ginnsu
OCR00880 - Metroid 'To Brinstar'

Metroid 'To Brinstar'

Avien gives us a lovely little orchestration here. I especially love the continuously spooky tone at the beginning. All the instruments are increadibly realisitc, crisp, and clear. The climb to a climax at the end is stunning, but the fall off is dissapointingly sudden. All in all, an excellent remix Avien, kepp up the good work.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Send a message via ICQ to Dougzee Send a message via MSN to Dougzee Send a message via Yahoo to Dougzee
Wicked

If real symphonies played in such a manner, I might actually shell out the hundred bucks to go see it. Im serious. This mix makes me feel like im actually sitting out on some blanket with a lucky dame ( ) watching the Boston Pops relent with their latest rendition of some god-forsaken nintendo theme.

But by the gods, dont we love them? I could even see the old zany conductor guy with like, Dr. Wily hair going all out, swinging that...pointing..stick..thingy..here and there directing the orchestra.

Kudos on the awesome mix.

-Doug
Old 12-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Daniel Cabrera
Dr. Wily (+1300)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

A hundred dollars? Where do you live? Canada???

We had, like 8 different songs dumped on us in the judges' department and this was one of the yesses. I think there might be 2 or 3 comin out. That zelda ryu7x one is the other. Also, that "pointy stick thingy" is called a baton, and they range in price from 2 dollars to a couple hundred (like everything else in the music world: overpriced).

Anyway, the thing with NES music is that it has only three instruments playing at any one time. Which means chords are really limited, and the artist relies more on counterpoint to imply key and chord structure. This is also the reason some NES music sounds really empty.

Avien has taken this minimal intro and fleshed it out in orchestral style. It takes a bit of doing to take something as simple as an NES 8-bit tune and give it more structure and blood than it had to begin with, plus he takes his own liberties, starting at the beginning. If you don't get goosebumps starting at 1:38, then this isn't the song for you

DC
Old 12-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDan
Avien has taken this minimal intro and fleshed it out in orchestral style. It takes a bit of doing to take something as simple as an NES 8-bit tune and give it more structure and blood than it had to begin with, plus he takes his own liberties, starting at the beginning. If you don't get goosebumps starting at 1:38, then this isn't the song for you
Here here!

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all right now.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Anthony Marin
Octorok (+200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via ICQ to neostormx Send a message via AIM to neostormx
I just listened to this song for almost 4 hours straight while playing daoc.

If there ever was a Metroid the Movie, this is exactly how i'd imagine the soundtrack would be like.

This is some really good stuff. Especially the samples.

My only complaint is with the transition at 1:52.. didnt feel smoth to me. but maybe its just me. afterall, i did listen to it 4 hours straight.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:39 PM
Danny Adler
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Avien shows some great skillz! Awesome orchestration (mostly band, instruments, however), and great instrument samples! There's a lot of good stuff to say about this and people have already said it, so I'll comment on what could be improved. The ending climax is done well, except for the drum samples used. The crash sound is pretty weak, and the final crash at the end is REALLY weak and kinda sounds out of place. Also the final "stinger" note at the end of the piece does not have enough attack. The ending seemed a little less climatic than it could have been. Awesome work on everything else, however!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:12 AM
Chrono (+800)

Send a message via AIM to Zarla
I KNEW this belonged here. Fantastic stuff.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:58 PM

NICE.

While it may be true that this sticks to the original pieces almost exactly, I don't think that's a bad thing AT ALL. I simply love the great transition from the title theme to the Brinstar theme at 1:52-1:56. Very nice use of offsetting the snare from the one piece into the next. I LOVE that kinda thing.

I will agree with SuperGreenX about the cymbal samples, though. They don't fit very well with the rest of the quality samples in this mix.

Outstanding mix!
Old 12-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Ryan Stern
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I heard this before, I think. But it must've been long ago, or in the WIP forum or something. I think then I encouraged seeing a full version done (the Brinstar part had not been added, if I remember right). So I like this arrangement, although some of the samples, mainly the horns, kinda bothered me. Also, I just felt there could've been more of a prominent bass instrument during the Brinstar part, instead of just at the end.

All in all, a good piece, though.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:24 AM
Joe Musashi (+7000)

Send a message via AIM to NightWish Send a message via MSN to NightWish
A well defined, no-nonsense remix.

Very likeable, but it doesn't shoot for the stars as it sounds like what a remix should: adding a few notes to the old ones. So in terms of creativity, this remix scores very low.... Besides, I also liked the original theme MUCH better as it sounded more gothic and dark. This remix should please anybody looking for an upbeat Metroid theme fix.