OCR01660 - *YES* Marathon & Halo 'The Forerunner Mix (Beta)'

Liontamer

Double submission; typically not allowed, but I'll let this one ride on due to the obscurity of the source material - LT

Hi,

a couple of weeks ago I made a couple of tracks celebrating the music of marathon and halo, basically taking themes from both and orchestrating them together. They are currently up at halo.bungie.org:

But I can email them to you if you want.

The first track uses the theme "Leela" from marathon and mixes it with various motifs and rhythms from the halo soundtrack, mostly from the theme 'Covenant Dance'. The second is based on "Chomber" from Marathon and "Under Cover of Night" from Halo.

No samples from the originals were used.

I'm not good with names so I've just been calling them Marathon Mix 1&2..pretty lame I know.

anyway let me know if there's anything else I can tell you

By the way I'm a composer from London Uk working freelance for film/TV and trying to break into the game industry, more info on my website if you're interested.

thanks for your time

Nick Singer

http://www.nicholassinger.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marathon - "Chomber"

Halo Original Soundtrack - (10) "Under the Cover of Night"

Intros with the opening verse of "Under the Cover of Night" dropped down a bit. Transitions over to "Chomber" at :37 on some nice plucked strings, before bringing back the "Under the Cover of Night"-style writing from :49-1:37, greatly extending the progression of that theme, with "Chomber" constantly in play no less.

Nice airy segue at 1:33 bringing back the "Under the Cover of Night" melody from 1:38-2:01, then laying some light strings based on that progression from 2:01-2:18 in a nice touch, moving the Chomber melody to the background from 2:02-2:13.

Slick. And much like your first Marathon/Halo mix, a very subtle, yet deceivingly dynamic arrangement. It says a lot in a short amount of time. Two mixes, but with both I'm heavily impressed. You gotta submit some more material in the future, Nick. These took a while to internalize and appreciate in comparing them to the sources, but once everything clicked, I loved what I was hearing. Awesome stuff.

YES

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello

just wondering if there's anything I can do to help to speed up the judging process- I know I'm just one of many submissions in the waiting, I only ask because I have some time coming up and I was planning to either re-work the tracks I submitted, or work on some new tracks, so any advice would really help.

best regards

Nick Singer

I told him to hang tight and work on some new material. In the meantime, he has inquired within. Let's get moving on this.

Well, my loss for not taking advantage of hearing these two mixes sooner. As the case with Larry, I'm heavily impressed. For more than one reason. The production is pristine and clean. You've chosen some solid source material to work with. You're adaptation to the set genre is right on point. Typically, I tend to smirk a bit at mixes that are less than 3 minutes long, but you've done a phenomenal job at creating a progressive arrangement in a short amount of time with not only one, but two themes.

I'm also really happy to finally see Halo get some love for a theme other than "Truth and Reconciliation", which has been done quite a bit already, and we'll probably hear much more of down the road, I imagine.

Great arrangement, production, and style. This is really top-notch quality.

YES

i echo brother BGC. my loss for not hearing these sooner. part II is even more exciting than part I. the mood is a killer setting and i'm a sucker for that kind of thing. add to that an unusually subtle dynamic beneath it all and you're actually still moving the audience even in the calm. very clever.

the two of these tracks looped together provide a great storytelling experience, truth be told. you know what you're doing and i wish you the best of luck with your professional career!

YES

Wow, this mix has such a creative texture! The combination of swirling pads, strings, and atmosphere is wonderful. Your production is great overall; clearly you know how to properly implement and polish your sounds. As for arrangement, the two source tunes are combined and interpreted skillfully and seamlessly.

My only complaints are that the mix could be slightly louder (maybe with a bit of bass skimmed off), and that the ending could have been extended slightly to ring out more, but these are definitely minor.

YES