Wings of Death: 'Level 1 Remix' (ATARI Game)

zedpentium

Hi guys.

I submitted this song "02 - ZED Pentium - Temple Glide", and just a few days later got a mail that the song wont be posted of forwarded to the Judges Panel in present form.

So i tought i could at least post it here and see what the general "public" thinks of it.

Short info:

A Remix of the ATARI Version "Wing of Death" Game by Eclipse.

Music on Level 1

I made sure to keep it close to the original melody in the beginning, but futher in to "drift away" :)

Link to my Remix:

http://web.comhem.se/zeds/download/02%20-%20ZED%20Pentium%20-%20Temple%20Glide.mp3

(Listen in HeadPhones is always nice)

Enjoy.

hum... i have rechecked the mail i got.. and i do have a few text lines that are in bold text.

So i would guess theese are there "issues" with it:

the arrangement is not different enough (e.g. structure, tempo, instrumentation) from the original game music

the arrangement is too underdeveloped and/or too repetitive

the sound quality (e.g. mixing, processing, sample quality, recording, performance) is poor

All the other reason text isent with bold text... so guess that is a standard mail format.

And that the bolded text is the real reasons.

Thanks mate, yeah its not a commercial sound. I wanted it more to sound like a retro tracked music... with a fresh sound to it.

my guess is they saw the default soundfonts you were using and tossed it right away. the composition actually is pretty nice, i enjoyed the song, but all of the sounds were ones i had heard before. if you could get good sounds and put some nice effects on them to give it a more (for lack of a better word) professional feel, i think this could definitely go somewhere.

Well, this sounds to me like something that would've made it on the site back around 2002 or so. This genre isn't really my strength, but I'll try to break down a few thoughts:

-It doesn't really have an intro per se, instead it just goes into the song with the lead synth and backing synths sans drums (if you don't include the very tiny hihat click)

-Drums come in at :12 with a very basic beat pattern and generic sounding clap sound. Jumping around in the song, it sounds like there's little/no variation on the beat throughout the rest of the track. You need to work on making more interesting patterns, builds, and fills. Also, the samples themselves could use some work. You can try to get some better quality samples, layer stuff, process them more - anything to make it more interesting. Definitely get some compression on the drums too, give them some punch.

-I'm hearing a lot of phasing on the synths, esp the lead. Not a bad effect for some leads, but IMO it needs to be more subtle.

-Main gripe here: there's no real hook to this song. If you jump around the song, most of it basically sounds the same with the exception of a bit of a subtractive breakdown at 1:52. The synths don't really change a whole lot thoroughout the song and there's not a whole lot of dynamic contract going on.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad song. I just beleive constructive criticism is a lot more important than praise (you can get plenty of that in the Review forum once it's posted). It's definitely not a bad early track, just needs work to get it above the bar: work on your beats, dynamics, transitions, and synth useage. Hope this helps.