Old 07-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Banned
Little Mac (+900)

beautiful man, what are you going to do with part II to sound this good? I love it, keep it up
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Expressing my awe is best explained by my gaping maw. Explaining my thoughts and feelings on listening to this piece is limited by the English language. I downloaded the song this morning at approximately 10:30am CST, and I am still listening to it at 12:44pm CST. I'm certain that going to work at 4:30 today will put a damper on my allotted "Listen to fricken' amazing music" time, and for that I'm saddened because I'll have to go five hours out of my day without listening to this gem of a remix.

Truly dynamic. Good god, this is nothing short of amazing. I eagerly look forward to your future works.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Blake Perdue
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via MSN to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Blake
Hm

Wow, when I heard this, I didn't know what song he was remixing, then it slowly came back. Then I was like O_O HOLY SHIT I REMEMBER THIS SONG. It makes me feel like this part of the game was turned into like an oscar movie.

I am gonna loop this song while playing Warcraft III Frozen THrone.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Rob Durham
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

wow... just wow...
Old 07-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Daniel Baranowsky
Akuma (+1100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via ICQ to danny B Send a message via AIM to danny B
This song opens up with an incredible reinterpretation of the opening ambience of Final Fantasy 7. I absolutely loved it.

However, at about 1:35, from then on, what I really hear is a very high quality MIDI-Rip with minor additions. I'm not saying the arrangement is without skill, just without anything amazing to signify a mastery of arrangement. I'm sure Mr. Robson knows exactly what he is doing, but with these quality samples, I think it's imperative to reinterpret and reorchestrate to play upon the original and come up with something half-original. But that's just my take on it. If you're looking for a near-verbatim, high-quality version of the originals at hand here, this is great for you.

But I sure wish that people with gigas and super high quality samples would not depend on them so much to MAKE the song. Rather than use them as a crutch, they should be something to enhance a great arrangement. Again, I mean the artist no disrespect, but this could have been a true masterpiece with a bit more creative input and rearrangement. But if that's not what the intent of the song was, then so be it.

-SM
Old 07-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Send a message via AIM to Darkmoogle
Woah, you've done incredible stuff with this... Honestly, I loved it more before about 2:09 when I finally remembered the original song. It's a good song, but listening to it back in the day for so long... I dunno. Maybe I grew not to like it. That doesn't mean this is any less good; new life into a song that many of us listened to for hours on end is always welcome.

And for the guy who's playing this while listening to Frozen Throne... Good choice. I used to make playlists of stuff like this while I was beta testing it. =D
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to MegaManXxX Send a message via MSN to MegaManXxX Send a message via Yahoo to MegaManXxX
Its like being in a dream state. From the first note that I heard it was just breath taking. A great arrangement. Its almost like listening to a acutally movie soundtrack. Nice use of brass, woodwind, and percussion. Very intense, with great sounds. Nice transitions through out. Great use of Strings. It's fucking great. Great Job. Can wait to hear part 2. I'm Out!!

X
Old 07-18-2003, 02:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jarrid Send a message via MSN to Jarrid
Hehe, Uematsu would probably even agree that this is extremely nice. So, when's Part II? :o
Old 07-19-2003, 03:08 AM
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysteManiac
But I sure wish that people with gigas and super high quality samples would not depend on them so much to MAKE the song. Rather than use them as a crutch, they should be something to enhance a great arrangement. Again, I mean the artist no disrespect, but this could have been a true masterpiece with a bit more creative input and rearrangement. But if that's not what the intent of the song was, then so be it.
*cries*

Ok, seriously now....

I had not wanted to post a review, as the few times I've been asked my comments on this song, half of those people came back with comments of "You're just jealous!" or "What, don't want someone else to write orchestral remixes?" This is my opinion of the mix in particular, and not toward the person -- I can't even remember his/her name while I'm typing this.

The beginning up to the swell of the orchestra is nicely executed, even if it comes out of nowhere and serves almost no purpose in that particular section. Then once the brass 'section' comes in it becomes sloppy. Nice and chaotic, but still sloppy. The marcato of the SAM Horns delays the attacks and makes them sound late, not to mention the horns are *SO* far back into the mix that they sound like they're into a completely different room. If you're using the "far" version of the horns then I wouldn't add any reverb as it sits well in almost any mix that has a decent amount. I know that a little 'lateness' is acceptable on the brass parts, but the horns just sound so late the by the time the notes are heard it's too late -- even the percussion is more in sync than the horns.

The dissonance around 4:15 is very nice and sounds great. But from here on out it just... dies literally. That may have been the point but once the quiet section begins it just sounds out of place after the "Bombing Mission" part. Is it bad? Not at all, but it just doesn't fit to me.

The spatial field seems to move on a few things -- the bones and the violins. When the violins play the staggered sustain they're on the left but when the runs begin in "BM" they're on the right/middle. THe bones also seems to drift from center, right, and back to center. Maybe it's just my ears....

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all right now.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:27 AM
Little Mac (+900)

Ughh, you are such an arogant piece man...You're just jealous of his orchestral remixing skills.

Tags
brass, cinematic, classical, epic, orchestral, strings, solemn