OCR01056 - *YES* ICO 'Save Me (OCR Edit)' *FT*

Israfel

Game: ICO

Song: "Heal" the save menu theme plus a little bit of the continue theme in the middle.

Title of mix: Save Me (OC Edit) (yes, I would like to have this one named the OC edit because I had to shorten this version down a lot from the original 9 minutes for the 6 mb limit)

Mixer: SuperGreenX

System: PS2

DJP, if this is posted, could you please mention in your write up that the full version is available at my website www.mp3.com/supergreenx? It almost made me cry when I had to cut down my 9 minute song, so I would love it if people could hear the full version .

(btw, if by any chance Save Me (the full version) is not up on my mp3.com page by the time you get this, it should be up shortly. I made some minor changes to the song and reuploaded to mp3.com. Approval is usually just a couple of days though, so it should be up before you get this anyways. )

Some song info:

I used some voice samples from the game again like I did with More Than A Weapon. As with Panzer Dragoon, ICO uses a made up language (actually, two different ones, I believe). So I pretty much don't know what any of the samples I used mean. They just sounded cool. Though the last Yorda sample I used is from the end of the game when the good old screen with "~fin~" comes up.

I hope you guys dig this.

-------------------------

And then I was recently PM'd this from SuperGreenX as well:

"The university shut down its webhosting servers for the time being because of the hurricane. So, my ICO mix should be temporarily unavailable. I got a mirror though:

If it would help, you could update the judging thread with that info. Thanks!"

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played this game or even seen it so I don't know how the music is, but I found this mix very enjoyable. I am always skeptical that long mixes can hold my attention, but this did so throughout. I particularly enjoyed the midsection. Unless this mix is discovered to be too close to the orginal by the other judges, this is resounding YES from me.

I put off voting on this because I wasn't sure about it for a while. The piano progression seemed too repetitious, carrying the bulk of the melody for the most part, and the sudden mid-break transition into the windpipes sounded iffy. Much of the track felt stagnant.

Then I realized SGX did the best he could transforming the light source material, soft underlaying ambience under moody chords, into boppin' trance. So this is actually a rather decent job. Drums are tight, programming is hot, and sequencing works well enough. Pleasant trance; nice to see ICO mixed.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh... videogame music transformed into ultimately soothing dream trance. This is really good. Everything mixes together, and even though some of the synth textures aren't entirely original, that's bound to happen a LOT, so I can't hold that against this remix. Nice transition at about 2:50 with some nifty log percussion, a neat little breakdown, and some nice flanged synth work. The voice samples really compliment the song quite well, unlike those used in some OTHER remixes. FX are used quite thoughtfully, and nothing is too drenched in reverb or EQed improperly. The dynamics are wonderful, too :o

Definitely good enough for me.

YES