OCR01689 - Final Fantasy VII "Sephiroth's Wake"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with everything said, Tweek did a great job with this, and there are great effects done to the piece. I'm not crazy about the source tune, and it carries into the mix, unfortunately. It's just not enjoyable to listen to, even with all the cool stuff Tweek's done to it.

I can appreaciate the work he did, but it's not a keeper for me. It will, however, go on my OCHalloween Mixtape.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love mixes like that with limited source material.

Anybody else notice that the theme at 0:45 is the same theme as the one in Symphony X's album V : The Mythology Suite. Sweet stuff.

The ambiance here is definitely heavy and tense. The dirty synths contrasts well with the cleaner drum sounds to create a thick texture. I love the production on this one.

The only gripe I have with this mix is that the song seems to lack direction. The different parts could pretty much be used interchangeably. But, I guess that was the artist's intention and with such great sounds and ideas, that is entirely forgivable.

good work

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love the growling synth in the opening, that sounds really cool on headphones :-) The drum loop is appropriate and sounds pretty good in my opinion, it makes the song sound like something straight out of Metal Gear Solid. That said, I can't help but wonder what it might have sounded like if it utilized heavier, more dramatic percussion instead.

Very underrated effort though, this one took a while to grow on me but currently I happen to like it a lot! :-)

• 2 years later...

It's a strange source to go for due to its minimalism and lack of tempo, but to take it in a direction akin to the Metal Gear Solid score is definitely one to go for and still ultimately take the darkness of the source.

It even worked well for the most part with the firm varied percussion and the transition of the minimalist pad/string work of the original to full bodied pads here. Affectively, what was taken of the source managed to work out into something significantly more contemporary while still being atmospheric, so major props on handling that. Even the minor synth elements had some strong controller work done to it to really give some life and associate ourselves with Tweek as a musician, and all the little details elsewhere with the rhythm synths have done much to keep adding some substance.

For me, it's nice and chill; not much to fault concerning the stylistic direction, and you've managed to do well with handling one difficult source to arrange. Hopefully we'd get to see more of you come 2012 :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01689 - Final Fantasy VII "Sephiroth's Wake"