Contact Information

Remixer Name: Jennerstein

E-mail address: jaredong@gmail.com

Userid: 24986

Submission Inforrmation

Name of Mp3 submission: City Corner Lullaby

Name of Game Arranged: Final Fantasy VI

Name of Individual Song Arranged from Game: Kids Run Through City Corner

Comments: Having heard both McAffe's arrangement and Uematsu's piano arrangement of the piece, I tried to compose this lullaby arrangement as a homage. My intent was to add a quiet slightly lilting feel by altering the melody in places (making it a bit more melodic) and making subtle changes to the chord progressions. My harmonic modifications are mostly found in the A section of the piece, as a walking a bass line down from the root. Originally, I planned on making more extensive chord modifications to the B section, but my attempts took the flow away from the piece and I kept the the main chord pattern intac instead.

The mix was made using a Motif ES6, and ProTools. I'm a keyboard, so I played the piece directly into ProTools and made final tweaks and edits on the midi notes itself.

Thank you,

Jared

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Kids Run Through the City" (ff6-120.spc)

Piano tone was on the thin side and exposed the fakeness of the sound a bit, but on the whole it was fine and held up nicely throughout the listen. Heard a light click/pop at 1:46.

There's clearly personalization to the arrangement, but the overall feel was still pretty conservative IMO. It's not that the piece was arranged or produced poorly; far from it. But it didn't particularly distinguish itself to me as a unique piano interpretation of the theme; rather it sounded like a fairly boilerplate piano arrangement. Without implying that you need to go full-on towards a hugely interpretive arrangement, Jared, this could have interpreted the theme more thoroughly and integrated more ideas of yours to further brand this as a unique interpretation.

I've got no hate here, and it could just be me not quite feeling this yet, so good luck with the rest of the vote. Even if this doesn't make it, you've clearly got an ear for arranging, Jared, and I'm glad you found out we weren't just a MIDI site. Whichever way this goes, it's a solid piece of music, and I hope we hear a lot more from you!

NO (resubmit)

This is great stuff - very gentle, even compared to the original. It's conservative in structure, but I found a lot to appreciate about this arrangement in other areas. There were somewhat significant additions and changes to the melody, the left-hand part strays a good amount from the bass part of the original, and there are a couple short parts like 1:23 that are entirely original and alter the chords. I think it has enough personalization.

The piano is full and crystal clear, playing is excellent, and the dynamics are good. I think this is a YES.

YES

I'm a keyboard

I'm a timbale.

Motif ES piano is trés bien. You can't really require a better fake-piano than this. The production was also crystal clear. Now get Motif ES8 so you can play all octaves D:

In any case, very pretty arrangement of the source. Fairly close in terms of melody but you've gone the extra mile and spiced it up with melodic additions and chord changes to make this a very pleasing arrangement. You could probably have made this a finger-jerk session but I think this arrangement is terrific as is, additions like 1:23-1:35 are small but gives the piece that extra something that is needed.

Not the most adventurous arrangement but solid enough for my yes.

YES

no, anso, i'm a timbale

and this is my vulnerability encased in sound. a haunting source made to sing you gently to sleep. yes, motif pianos are the shizznizzle and this is no slouching arrangement. you don't belabor it with originality without losing the essence of the source and you deceptively stay very close to the original without it ever sounding like a cover. gorgeous work

i live at a city corner, it so happens. i'm staring out my window at downtown long beach through blinds and i see lights and palm trees. this piece soothes me.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a kazoo.

Very intimate sound but it is quite dry, would've liked a bit more reverb. The arrangement adds a lot harmonically as opposed to melodically, so it didn't find it to be particularly conservative. Definitely fits the word lullaby. Really not sure why larry be NO'in it up. Strong arrangement and nice sound.

YES