OCR01852 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "The World's Smallest Giant"

You know, I've been thinking... I don't recognize the music from the actual game at all... it's true I only managed to play all the way through once, but you'd think something like this would stick out to me more than just as the other remix on this site of the same song (Drift) ... Is it only on the Sega CD version or something? I played the Genesis version...

I really digged being a bit disoriented during the onset, and slowly settling in to the pulsating groove. Fun to listen to, and Anso was right in that he beautifully caught the mood here. It has a certain deep ebb and flow reminiscent of the mysterious depths, with a that high end sparkle inviting us back towards the surface like rays of light amongst the waves.

Feelin' it, Anso.

You know, I've been thinking... I don't recognize the music from the actual game at all... it's true I only managed to play all the way through once, but you'd think something like this would stick out to me more than just as the other remix on this site of the same song (Drift) ... Is it only on the Sega CD version or something? I played the Genesis version...

Oh yes. The Sega CD version of both Ecco 1 and 2 had completely different soundtracks from the Genesis ones. They're actually some of the best on the Sega CD (which is saying a lot--there were some games with amazing scores for that console). (On a side note, I actually picked this game up for $3 in a bargain bin.)

I'm glad to see the Sega CD versions get more recognition for this. KF

The weird attack on the bass really throws me off in a distracting way at the beginning, but once the song proper starts, it's a well balanced and atmospheric adventure. :3

It's really laid back and has some great undulating textures. Progression is subtle, but overall the intent to create yet another soundscape has been achieved. Great textures, they really make this work.

I told Mattias this before when he gave me a sneak preview of this track, but this is my favorite piece of his. Something about the gentle, playful groove hits all my music pleasure centers. There are shades of Trentemøller, early Depeche Mode, Metroid Prime - all music I love. And the section at 2:44 is heavenly, there are no other words for it. Outstanding song.

Slow, brooding, watery electro. There's a nice contrast of textures here, slicing leads on gelatinous synths. Very cool. One thing I really love about AnSo's pieces is how pristine they are, despite the heavy usage of synths and beats. It really gives you some great depth perception when the sound is as clean as it is here.

As always, nice mood, nice atmosphere, nice... what's it called.. that new-fangled term that all the youngens are using today... soundscape! That's it, nice soundscape.

I was pretty excited when I read Shpongle in the write-up, but the remix proved to be quite different from what I expected. After I overcame my intial disappointment, I started to appreciate the remix for what it is: a nice and smooth arrangement with a very fat low-end. I was hooked, and I've listened to the song quite a few times since then.

Nice work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AnSo, you weren't kidding when you said this was your best work... It really is. In fact, this song more or less embodies everything I want out of my own personal musical style.

In terms of instrumentation, I love how the bells and pads contrast the more digital sounds of the bass and random other sounds. My favorite remixes tend to be ones that are able to blend the more complex, "real" sounds with the decidedly simpler blips, beeps, and other random digitized elements. The World's Smallest Giant does that and more.

I also particularly liked how, even though the melodies and themes in this mix are rather simplistic, they're woven together in the most complex ways possible. I've been listening to this mix at least once a day since its posting, and I'm still amazed at the little new things I pick up every time I play it.

And, thematically, you've done a fantastic job. This is a complete re-interpretation of the source...and yet, I can throw it into a playlist of songs from the game and it fits magnificently. It is, at once, beautiful and creepy - just like many of the themes Nilsen created for Ecco. On top of that, as Palpable said...2:44 is truly heavenly.

The only thing I could even possibly fathom changing, from a personal standpoint, is the percussion. I really feel that, although it still lended a positive touch to the song, it could have been more fleshed out and emphasized than it was. I also feel the use of "real" percussion (such as some of the samples from zircon's Groove Bias sample set), would have been an improvement, as opposed to the drum machine that was used. Regardless, I really want to emphasize that this criticism is an EXTREMELY minor one - even the percussion was done with extreme care and talent.

Overall, a truly impressive mix...and one I will be recommending to new listeners from now 'til the end of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The brilliance of this one honestly eluded me on my first few listens. Then, I decided to give it a second listen because of what you said in your submission email, and boy am I glad I did! This is really one of your best sleeper-hits, AnSo, and I can see why I didn't find it engrossing right off the bat. The joy of this mix is in the subtleties, like the percussion, for example.

This really is a work of brilliance, I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice it sooner but me and Halc have both ranted and raved about how great this is via IM.

You're my hero! ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01852 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "The World's Smallest Giant"