hmmm

BK (Klaw)

my songs are not good enough to submit... but i still want people to hear them. check these out.

BK (Klaw) - Thoughts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xic61C-RdE

BK (Klaw) - Reverse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yak5bqxk8Go

BK (Klaw) - Cascade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6pKYx0_oHg

BK (Klaw) - Memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9mKbPABpOY&feature=related

BK (Klaw) - Ancient http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fISMihwEqiM

BK (Klaw) - Corrupt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tek6NEmpClc

BK (Klaw) Midnight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-QgoAbq7uU

BK (Klaw) - Fly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjjg55Jz_I

I have no clue how to sumbit my remixes (Ive read the about section on it)

Then perhaps you should take a break from remixing and work on your reading comprehension.

EDIT: I will say, though, that this music has some potential (assuming it's not too coverish; I'm not familiar with the sourcetunes), at least as far as I can tell from a low-quality youtube listening.

We'll be able to give you much more useful critique if we can hear a higher quality version. There are a number of free filehosting sites to which you could upload your tracks.

I can't comment too much on the second one as it's very short - whatever the source is, 55 seconds shows that there has been inadequate exploration of the source, unless the source was like a 6 second loop...and even then there are ways to extend those to longer than 55 seconds with the current looping you have.

But for the first, minus what is probably a quirk of youtubes at around 0:06, there is a lot of repetition with the looping of a 6 second clip until ~0:30 - you only need to repeat 2 or 3 times at most. 5 is a bit excessive. Also, there is little rearrangement that is going on here - what I see is the original track from Breath of Fire as a cover version almost wholesale, with some minor remixing. I don't really have a problem with the instruments used, but there's quite a lot of room for reinterpretation, which is what this site is about.

For example, take a look at this mix: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01695/

I hope this gives you a good place to start improving. Loops are good for starting out from what I'm told, but even in genres such as hip hop you have to get more creative.

Bahamut,

youtube does make my mp3's sound so different. samples are part of my style and they seem to be cut well and the BPM sounds to be perfectly adjusted. Simple hip-hop is what i love to make. Something simple, but sounds good (which are mostly loops). I want to get feedback and this is helping. is the a certain length a song should be? and am i aloud to use Midi's as Sample because i used that for the breath of fire and u said it was origanal? Even if i remixed a song by the littlest difference in it wouldn't it still be considered a remix? Do you guys think i suck? And even if i keep posting my links, will I be aloud? Thanks for the feedback -BK-

First One: There's no melody... it's just a bass and a drumline. It's kinda short and repetitive.

Second one: Overall, it's really, really, really repetitive. It's not much of a song it's just two or three loops over and over again.

Third One: Same. You got a little more creative in the second half, but the first half is really... how do I put this... stagnant. It's also really short and it ends abruptly, there was no effort put into a closing. (Well that last statement is based on my personal opinion)

Fourth One: Wow this one intros quite nicely! I like this one. It's flowing and not too repetitive! However, it does repeat itself for an ending, and like I said before, it's too short. Try doing something original like a solo or something.

Fifth One: This one is also nice. But it's kinda... how do I put this... stagnant. And it repeats itself. Also, the ending is abrupt. Again, too short.

I do not know what sources these remixes come out of so I can't tell you if it's too conservative (means it's almost the same song with different instruments) or if it's too original. It's definitely one of the two as most of them repeat too much.

This guy said he wanted to submit these, which is why my comments are a little over the top...

Bahamut,

youtube does make my mp3's sound so different. samples are part of my style and they seem to be cut well and the BPM sounds to be perfectly adjusted. Simple hip-hop is what i love to make. Something simple, but sounds good (which are mostly loops). I want to get feedback and this is helping. is the a certain length a song should be? and am i aloud to use Midi's as Sample because i used that for the breath of fire and u said it was origanal? Even if i remixed a song by the littlest difference in it wouldn't it still be considered a remix? Do you guys think i suck? And even if i keep posting my links, will I be aloud? Thanks for the feedback -BK-

To answer your many questions will take some time.

Youtube makes your mp3"s sound different because they compress the file to fit their space needs. It would take up too much space if they put the full file. Therefore, the quality is lowered. You should host on a site where they don't compress the file. Like Geoffrey said, there are free ways to do this.

Also, you need to understand what OCRemix is about. Taken from the front page; "This site is dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form." Loops and repetitive trance/hip hop/electronica/WHATEVER is really not something they are looking for.

http://www.darkesword.com/frames.html (Go to Read, then Essays, then Four Man Combo)

That is an essay one of the ReMixers here wrote. It's a simple approach to arranging and composing for people like you and me (beginners). Don't take what he says literally, but try to take the ideas he writes down and build off of those. The song should be flowing, from one part to the next, not back and forth. Yes, technically if you did the slightest difference like a change of instruments it is a remix, but OCR looks for stuff like rearrangements. A different interpretation of the song in the game. (It's called OCRemix because Over Clocked Rearrangements wasn't really that catchy).

For example... Darkesword took a song played on an old flute and he turned it into an Orchestration. He added power to the song with a drumbeat, he used transitions. Think of music like an ESSAY MADE OF SOUND. He added melodies and he changed chord progressions. He used French Horns, strings, and Choirs. But remixing is not just Orchestration. You can take a Heavy Metal Rock battle theme from a game and turn it into a relaxing jazz song (if you really wanted to, but you have to get creative and use your imagination, it's not just gonna happen by itself) And you don't have to go out of the genre, you could stay in the same one if that's easier. You have to make the song your own, you have to make it sound like no other person could make it sound. It's your interpretation.

The rules also state that submissions should be over two minutes at least. And your sample's are not a problem as long as they are the sound YOU are looking for.

If we think you suck shouldn't even matter to you. It's your music, you have your own way with it, it's your style. It's simply a matter of taste.

neblix,

thats for the feedback. it may not be what i want to hear but its good to hear it. Not every1 is into the same music i know this. hip-hop is mostly repetitive especially with samples. Most of these Mp3's I made in like 20min. so i can get feedback on the previews (explains quality and endings) . also my friend raps on these so most likely not many will just hear the instrumental. Thanks again for your 2 cents and ill keep in mind what you have typed.. oya i used so many mixers on these samples i dont know why people say it sounds like "original" song files -BK-

neblix,

thats for the feedback. it may not be what i want to hear but its good to hear it. Not every1 is into the same music i know this. hip-hop is mostly repetitive especially with samples. Most of these Mp3's I made in like 20min. so i can get feedback on the previews (explains quality and endings) . also my friend raps on these so most likely not many will just hear the instrumental. Thanks again for your 2 cents and ill keep in mind what you have typed.. oya i used so many mixers on these samples i dont know why people say it sounds like "original" song files -BK-

Oh my bad, I didn't read his post. He means that it's basically the same song with mild differences.

And it doesn't matter if Hip Hop is usually loops... Saying "Hip Hop is usually loops" isn't gonna get your song on the site. Time and effort is what gets your song on the site.

Twenty minutes isn't really time and effort unless you had your eyes glued to the screen and took aspirin every five minutes because of the intense headaches of trying to make it sound musically flowing. (I'm not saying it doesn't!!!) But if you don't put some effort it'll just sound like any other rejected remix you find lying around.

Also, if these were just previews and you wanted to have your friend rap on these, what was the point of submitting them to OCR?

I just want some feed back on these previews for now. I know they're not song quility at all. I dont plan to submit any of these MP3's. Try listening to Fly its more like a song. And as for the rapping, he hasnt even heard these MP3's i put on here lol. niblix i cant thank you enough for showing your interest in helping me out (again thanks my man) -BK-

I just want some feed back on these previews for now. I know they're not song quility at all. I dont plan to submit any of these MP3's. Try listening to Fly its more like a song. And as for the rapping, he hasnt even heard these MP3's i put on here lol. niblix i cant thank you enough for showing your interest in helping me out (again thanks my man) -BK-

Please post the source. Fly is nice and flowing and it has some variety. However, the second half is a repeat of the first half. Once you get down something a little more original (something that wasn't previously in the song), the next step is to figure out if it's too conservative.

hmmm i see what you mean, but most of the music i like does the same thing

like this beat for example

MF Doom - Charsuka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBLMNxriCyA

im so confused. do i at least have some potential for a independent self taught fruityloops user?

Well, sorry, but if you submit a loop to OCR it's gonna get rejected.

You do have potential... I am also a self taught Fruityloops user. (My brother's a judge here so I go to him before I submit something)

However, you need to understand that OCR doesn't look for loops that are, well, looped with extremely mild differences every two measures. They look for stuff like songs.

Stuff like "Oh this is a cool part" or "Wow I liked that buildup and it went smoothly to a high energy part!"

Not like "... This is boring I've been hearing this over and over for the last minute."

And I'D LOVE FOR YOU GUYS TO JOIN IN... I'm not very comfortable because I'm the only guy giving him advice and it feels wrong that he's getting it from a novice like me....

your right.. im glad to get info from you tho, because its like you can understand more where im coming from and im not gettin all these big words and terms i dont understand. for my newer beats i will use the advice you have given me without a doubt so i can at least submit 1 of them (even if it isnt my style it will be good for me) O and i want to hear yours songs (could you show me some?) thanks again (I say that alot lol) -BK-

PS what do you think of "thoughts" just made it (it is repetitive tho)

your right.. im glad to get info from you tho, because its like you can understand more where im coming from and im not gettin all these big words and terms i dont understand. for my newer beats i will use the advice you have given me without a doubt so i can at least submit 1 of them (even if it isnt my style it will be good for me) O and i want to hear yours songs (could you show me some?) thanks again (I say that alot lol) -BK-

PS what do you think of "thoughts" just made it (it is repetitive tho)

Mine? Mine are terrible.

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/PeacefulSpring.mp3

This is not Hip Hop, but you can tell I didn't do the same thing OVEr and OVER again (Well I kinda did but the differences were enough to keep the listener interested)

And then there's

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/SerenadeofWaterMix.mp3

A remix I'm working on it's not even half done I don't know where to go with it but I say the same thing it's not over and over and over. (The last few measures are just placeholders I'll put something new there)

i like them! Peaceful springs is so chilled and relaxing =D and it might be the same loop but you add and remove instruments nicely. im gonna find a old beat that i put this kind of focus on and maybe you will like it better? your such a cool dude it motivates me lol.. i have to get off for awhile now but dont forget about me or this thread ill b back soon... maybe we can listen to more of each others beats

your main man -BK-

i like them! Peaceful springs is so chilled and relaxing =D and it might be the same loop but you add and remove instruments nicely. im gonna find a old beat that i put this kind of focus on and maybe you will like it better? your such a cool dude it motivates me lol.. i have to get off for awhile now but dont forget about me or this thread ill b back soon... maybe we can listen to more of each others beats

your main man -BK-

Uhm... no problem?

... Just don't come to me for everything, a little advice from EVERYONE is good. A novice like me isn't gonna help you onto OCR, you need opinions from all different aspects, not just mine.

Speaking of which, if you ever encounter an overly harsh jerk that says stuff like "You have ruined the source" or "You didn't capture anything from the original" or "Your instrumentation/dynamics are terrible"

and his name is Snappleman, don't get let down. He's just a jerk. You'll become twice as good as him if you keep up your pace...

Dude, I love that first one, "Thoughts".

However it is repetitive and it doesn't seem like the guy knows where he's going with it. It just repeats over and over again. There's not even a melody. It's just a drumbeat and bassline. He needs to make a melody and make the song build into something.

Ya hear me? You gotta establish something, make the listener go like "Hmm.... this is interesting."

not "This is boring..."

You gotta add some variety make something attention grabbing.