Should I buy a used Ibanez RGT42DXWH @ $630?

I walked into a guitar shop to get a new string for my gf's guitar. Poked about in the store looking at what they had there, and one of the guitars that caught my eye, besides a similarly priced brown Fender with black sports car stripes on it, was an Ibanez RGT42DXWH. Both these guitars were originally more like $1,000 (with the current SEK/USD rate), the Fender the last they had and the Ibanez, again, used. Didn't look used at all. Just touching the strings on it felt completely different from the one I bought strings for, the whole thing was just beautiful and even though it had a whammy bar it still didn't lose pitch when pushing the strings down between the frets. Quality!

Now, I don't know much about guitars and I can't play worth shit, though I would really love to learn. Should I buy it anyway? I mean, I could always sell it again, for almost the same price too. Unless I wear it out, it feels like something like that would only become more valuable as time passes. Then again, $630 is a lot of money, and even though I could afford it it feels like sort of a stupid thing to do, spending half a month's wage on something I wouldn't even be able to play properly. Help?

EDIT: Actually, retail price for this guitar is $1,200 rather than $1,000. My bad.

Too bad you didn't wait for me to reply.

You got an Ibanez with a stinker Edge III trem. Sorry. It's not going to last you. You also overpaid for it by a lot.

I'm the resident Ibanez expert, i could have directed you to a guitar that would outperform that for cheaper.

Edit: More info

You state it normally cost $1,000, this is not so. That is the LIST price. No guitar ever sells for the list price. The ACTUAL price it goes for brand new most places is $450 - $650, depending where you get it. A fair used price for any RGT is $300-$450.

It's either Korean or Indonesian, if it's Indonesian then return it as soon as you possibly can, please. You can get a high quality Japanese-made Ibanez for $650 if you know how to shop (I do), with a trem that will be rock solid for life.

If by trem you mean the whammy bar, I don't think I'm going to use it much, to be honest.

How do I know where it's manufactured? Does it say on the actual guitar? Also, can you name a good, Japanese-made $650 model? Do and I'll tell you how much one of those would be here.

Remember, I'm not in your part of the world. Slap 25% tax on your actual price and you'll get closer to what I have to pay, whatever it is. It's also a lot smaller a market, so used anything is harder to come by.

It doesn't matter if you use it, the fact that your strings are locked into it means its being used every second. Basically; if you get a bad one, your guitar will not hold tuning. A good one and you'll never have to touch the tuners.

Japanese ibanez guitars are really awesome hand buit instruments, their overseas ones are hit and miss. I'm probably not as big an expert on ibanez as neko but yeah, RGT got nothin on RG, especially the prestige models.

I have an RG1570 prestige, which is probably the cheapest hand made one, and its damn fine minus the pickups (which are still pretty good for that price range).

Stage left: Neko enters the room and corrects me.

If that be the case, it might have been better if you had gone hardtail. No dealing with string locks, easier to mess with the action, ect., ect.

Yeah, I do realize it would have been better, but compared to everything else I've used, this guitar's trem is very stable, and having played for it for a few days I still haven't noticed any sort of tendency to get out of tune, unlike every hardtailed one I've played. I guess all of my friends have cheap, crappy guitars. This one is fantastic in comparison.

Fishy - the one you have would have cost me at least twice as much as I paid for this one.

I'm not going to return it, not even sure I can, but there's a few other used guitars near here at about the same price, namely an XV-500, an RG470, an RS530, an RG550, an RG570, an RG7321, an EDR 470EX, a Starfield, an S370, a 540S LTD PN, and a Fender Toronado. Would any of those have been a better buy, assuming they're in the same condition?

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, if you are happy with the guitar, that's all that counts. Are there better guitars for better prices, sure. I know how it can be shopping around. Always a next time...

Since you want to learn, check out guitar pro, but don't rely on it for everything. I import midis and learn a good deal that way.

It does, though at times you may want to move things on the lower strings. it's an annoyance. I usually import then change the string position and save it.

I haven't use power tab, not sure if midi import is possible, but it's free and I can always convert tabs over to the different programs.