HUGE midi keyboard delay

I just got a laptop which isn't too bad, but I noticed in finale and FL (demo for now) my midi keyboard had a HUGE (prolly like .05 seconds but very noticeable) delay between hitting key and the sound coming out.

Is this a matter of soundcard, processor or what?

Specs:

Inspiron 1545, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz, 1M L2 Cache

3GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm

320G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB(Panzer) Application 1.0

My main computer is custom and perfect in almost every way...so it makes sense that I should be let down by a pre-built dell laptop, but still I wonder if there is a reason that this delay is there >.<

How are you connecting the keyboard to the computer? Direct USB, or are you going through a MIDI interface?

USB

You're remembering to use ASIO sound drivers, right? If not, head over to asio4all.com and grab them. Then simply specify that you want to use those drivers in your DAW or VSTi.

I thought it did that automatically when I dl'ed FL

FL does include asio4all, if that's what you mean. You still have to specify in FL (or the stand-alone synth you want to use) which audio driver to use. If you hit F10 (or options > audio settings) under the audio tab make sure you don't have one of the "DirectSound devices" selected as your driver.

If you're using a stand-alone synth like say, FM8, it'd be under like File > options or File > Audio/MIDI preferences or something along those lines.

It wasn't set to Direct Sound Devices

here's what I think/know:

when metronome is going at 140bpm the keyboard sound is off by 2/3 of a beat.

This happens in FL, finale, and I'm sure any other program that my keyboard could generate sound through.

I think it's just the capabilities of my laptop. So that sucks :?

Well, what IS it set to currently? You pretty much have to have Asio4All set as your Input/Output device if you want to record live with decent latency.

thanks for the continued help everyone!

I found on my main comp that the buffer length is 512 samples (but it's 12ms)

On the new laptop you were right that my sound driver wasn't even on Asio, and it was set to 47ms. When I set it to Asio4All v2 it goes to the 512 samples 12ms but no sound comes out of speakers ._. When I set it to my primary sound driver and set the buffer rate to less than 47ms it gets really fuzzy.

So now what I'm wondering is why is there no sound coming out when my sound driver is set for asio (I'm such a noob)

Also: I noticed in main comp that "Use Hardware Buffer" is unchecked, but on my laptop I cannot uncheck it!

wait, it was working with the asio set as my sounddriver, but now it sometimes doesn't have sound (it shows the wave moving in the monitor though...)

If you have any music programs open (utilizing the sound card) or have MIDI playback enabled in your DAW, ASIO won't work. This is because ASIO is designed to bypass all windows mixing to reduce latency as much as possible.

Make sure you don't have anything open that's producing sound and that you don't have midi output enabled.

I've been searching the internet and ppl have the same problem only i cant find the solution.

My soundcard was pre-installed and it's fine.

When I click Show Asio Panel, nothing is unavailable but the "Use Hardware Buffer (does not always work)" is checked but I can't uncheck it.

It was working the other day for a little, and now it isn't.

:(