Old 12-07-2004, 06:47 AM
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

OCR01281 - Dragon Warrior IV 'The Grief of Aktemto'

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Ari Asulin, Relics of the Chozo Project Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

I'd say this is too flawy to be ocr quality and should have been debugged and improved significantly and resubmitted. Way too many simple mistakes and bleh performance. At the same time... man I loved this game. Memories...
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Jared Hudson
Dr. Wily (+1300)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protricity
I'd say this is too flawy to be ocr quality and should have been debugged and improved significantly and resubmitted. Way too many simple mistakes and bleh performance. At the same time... man I loved this game. Memories...
I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zaknafean Send a message via MSN to Zaknafean Send a message via Yahoo to Zaknafean
I've been waiting a VERY long time for a Dragon Warrior IV piece to reach this site, long enough to break my long standing lurker status. I always felt it was an under appreciated RPG, and holds a very special place in my heart for being the very first RPG that I beat. I love this take on the tragic theme of Aktemto .I wasn't horribly impressed until 1:12, where the scope of the song just seemed to get bigger. Then I just wanted to die at 2:03 onwards, when the guitar comes in and takes the theme to the next logical level. However you manage to not loose the creeping hopelessness that the theme is suppose to show. If I have to complain at all, it'd be pre 1:12, where some of the acoustic guitar just seems somewhat off to me (perhaps it’s just that I'm not a huge fan of most acoustic tho). Overall while it may have some technical issues, I feel it captures and recreates the right feeling in the end.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Monobrow Send a message via Yahoo to Monobrow
I've been waiting a long time for a DW4 mix, a very long time. I really think this game has some of the best 8-bit video game music I've heard. And to have it translated here, makes me very happy.

Although I could be harsh...I do give kudos to the rawness of this song...and I'd like to add that I once (a long time ago) attempted to make a meager mix of this song...and failed miserably...So I appreciate what has been done.

I've always thought this is one of the saddest songs in video game history...and when I was downloading this, I was afraid that the original tune would be carrying this mix...But I can feel very powerul emotions and feelings coming from elsewhere, and that is good enough for me.

SNESology
Old 12-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Chrono Symphonic Director
Kraid (+1200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

There is absolutely no reason this song should have been kept off the site. This is perhaps the single most emotional, well-orchestrated, and deeply involving song I've ever downloaded from OCR, and if it had been denied the chance to be posted, my opinion of the judges' panel would have decreased significantly.

Glad you made the right decision, judges. And glad you made this song, Ryan. Awesomeness.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Abobo (+600)

Send a message via AIM to SleazyC
While the orchestral part does just come in very abruptly and then disappears just as fast, the acoustic guitar is just oozing out emotions and I can really feel all that was put into the performance. Great to see a new Ryan8bit back on OCR with such an awesome song.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Ryan Stern
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
And some things like that were said by the judges. What it seemed to come down to was whether or not production was more important than heart. I was never really trying to be a guitar virtuoso or to make it a spotless, flawless playing. Any of the delays in timing are mostly due to human emotion of playing. You don't typically get that with technical sequencing. I was looking for more of the natural live performance feel.

But thanks for the comments, everyone.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Ari Asulin, Relics of the Chozo Project Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan8bit
Quote:
And some things like that were said by the judges. What it seemed to come down to was whether or not production was more important than heart. I was never really trying to be a guitar virtuoso or to make it a spotless, flawless playing. Any of the delays in timing are mostly due to human emotion of playing. You don't typically get that with technical sequencing. I was looking for more of the natural live performance feel.

But thanks for the comments, everyone.
Songs that get on ocr go on here forever.I don't think its justifyable to post a flawed song when it could be retooled and resubmitted. No justification whatsoever. Thats the problem here.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Jesse Taub, Judge
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

It was a difficult decision. I would have liked to hear a rerecording because it frankly would have been entirely possible to do a take without slips without losing the desired emotion.

however we didnt get a rerecording, and the mix DOES have lots of expression and dynamics that so many remixes lack. A close call, but certainly an enjoyable track.

"The Illustrious Mr. Taub is basically spot on with his critiques. Just do what he says. Always. Regardless of context."
-OA

Tags
acoustic-guitar, electric-guitar, orchestral, sad