My kingdom for a MIDI composer!

SmartLX

I'm playing with the trial version of Reaper right now, and the one thing it doesn't seem to have is a basic MIDI composer/sequencer.

In case I've got the terminology wrong, I mean the facility to pick a virtual instrument and tell it to play C#, B, A and so forth until you have Mary Had a Little Lamb. Reaper only seems to use prerecorded MIDI and actual sound samples.

I quite like Sound Anvil and have for years (hooray for actual notation!), but its advanced functionality appears limited even in its latest incarnation. I don't see myself creating anything on the technical level of AeroZ's Wicked n' Floating with Anvil alone.

So, how do you folks get your MIDI?

- Is there a composer feature in Reaper I haven't found yet, or a plugin?

- Is there a rival package along the lines of Reaper that includes this function?

- Failing that, can .mid files created in a basic program like Anvil be easily imported into a larger package and the tinny instruments replaced? (Or else, where can you get good instruments for Anvil? I think it takes VST.)

Every single note of every remix can't possibly have been played live. What do you do?

• 1 year later...

Be afraid of people who are not willing to admit they are wrong.

Not knowing, and admitting it makes you stronger than many people who believe they can stop learning because they reached a certain point.

The greatest people aren't the ones who compete with the entire world. The greatest people are the ones who compete with themselves.

If you're looking for something with the best piano roll, I'd say go with FL Studio.

However, Reaper does have MIDI capabilities. Just add a new MIDI track and create a region where you can write in the playlist (where you arrange all the tracks together)

Be afraid of people who are not willing to admit they are wrong.

Not knowing, and admitting it makes you stronger than many people who believe they can stop learning because they reached a certain point.

The greatest people aren't the ones who compete with the entire world. The greatest people are the ones who compete with themselves.

Cool story bro. Answer his question next time.

• 2 weeks later...
You get what you pay for though.. btw both of those software are easily try-able with torrents... you might want to try both of best worlds before choosing a purchase.

Why bother wasting the time to get an FL Studio torrent to try it out when you can just download the demo? :P

btw we should stop posting as this thread is really old and the OP probably forgot about it