Dragon Warrior Project - Claim tracks, send WIPs, yeah?

Monobrow

Welcome to the Children of Erdrick OCReMix Project

CoE is a project which consists of remix tracks from the first three Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games. Koichi Sugiyama is the composer and has composed some of the most celebrated and unique video game music created.

This is a concept album, with emphasis on flow, please be open to adhering to project guidelines for the sake of the album as a whole.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vision

1. No symphonic or orchestral tracks will be accepted. It has been done to death with Dragon Quest music. Let's go for something different and not try to one-up Mr. Sugiyama's own accomplishments with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

2. Album Flow That is, once some more concrete tracks are selected, I would appreciate trying to get each song to flow, one to another. This is not specifically required for every track, but as this project comes together and becomes more cohesive, I will be contacting each of you to figure out placement and ways to make this album as a whole, more fluid. More like a project, less like a collection of random songs.

3. Do not stray too far from source material. In other words, make sure your goal with music is to showcase the original song's latent merits, adding emphasis to the pleasure you got out of listening to the original. The goal here is to do the original song as much justice as possible. Interpretation is great, and of course can bring out the greatness of the source, but it always comes secondary to honoring the original. I want you to view each song as a delicate and important piece of music that you want nothing more than to show everyone its true musical merit.

4. Lean towards more organic, acoustic, rock oriented and more realistic sounding styles of music. Instrumentals would be nice. Electronic is also acceptable of course, but think more serious, less "cute" in your sound. Synthy stuff is great, but use them to add tension or to volumize the feel to your music. Also lean towards conveying a real sense of atmosphere in your music. Your source tune should be able to give you an idea of what mood you are going for.

5. Be creative. Honor the source, but no straight covers. Hit that balance, that place where you are arranging the song and bringing out the best of it, without straying from the source too much and losing sight of what the original was about.

A NOTE ABOUT VOCALS: If you attempt vocals, please contact me w/ your thoughts beforehand. They are a very hard instrument to utilize and implement with skill. What I do not want is along the lines of vocals for the sake of being in there, but more along the lines of getting a point across. They need to be used in a way that makes the song more than a sum of its parts. For example, vocals for ambience, or lyrically to set a tone. Atmosphere is important. There are great singers in this community, and I definitely do not discourage vocals in general, but I am talking about integrating them into an album as a whole, which would be harder, spotted with non-vocal tracks. I hope that helps. I do not have anti-vocal bias, but I'm trying to be realistic in terms of whether or not they would fit, or be disruptive overall.

Here are links to the NSFs from Zophar

Dragon Quest 1 nsf

Dragon Quest 2 nsf

Dragon Quest 3 nsf

Available tracks numbered accordingly from the .nsf files

ALL CURRENT PROJECT CLAIMS ARE ON HOLD. IF YOU HAVE A WIP ON THIS LIST PLEASE CONTACT ME. IF YOU HAVE A FINISHED TRACK FROM THIS LIST, PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Dragon Warrior/Quest

2 - TANTEGEL CASTLE (Castle)

4 - TOWN GAME SELECTION (Town) Brandon Strader

5 - OVERWORLD - djpretzel

6 - UNDERWORLD - metaphist

14 - BATTLE THEME

15 - FINAL BATTLE THEME

16 - ENDING THEME

20 - GAME OVER (Thou Art Dead) - Fratto

Dragon Warrior/Quest 2

2 - JOYOUS SONG - (Menu) - ShrackAttack

3 - ROYAL PALACE (Castle)

4 - BUSY CITY STREETS (Town)

5 - A LONELY YOUTH - Phantasia

6 - UNDERGROUND (Dungeon)

7 - EVER UPWARDS (Tower) - Christian Pacaud

8 - ALL HOPE IS LOST (Requiem) AeroZ

9 - PROPHECY (Shrine)

10 - TRAVELING WITH FRIENDS (Overworld 2)

11 - KINGDOM OF ALEFGARD (Unknown World) - Cyril the Wolf

12 - RIDING THE WAVES(Ship) - Rexy

13 - DEMON ATTACK (Battle)

14 - MALROTH THE TRUE EVIL (Final Battle)

15 - RECOUNTING THE JOURNEY (Credits) - CarboHydroM

Dragon Warrior/Quest 3

3 - OVERTURE

4 - CASTLE

5 - ADVENTURE (Overworld)

6 - UNKNOWN WORLD

7 - JIPANG

8 - DUNGEON - ilp0

9 - TOWER

10 - PYRAMID

11 - SMALL SHRINE (Temple) - Ryan8bit

12 - SAILING

14 - VILLAGE

15 - HEAVENLY FLIGHT - Reserved, pm me for details why, and please try to pick something else for now

16 - TOWN

17 - BATTLE THEME - Shnabubula

18 - THE PHANTOM SHIP - Protricity

*19 - FINAL BATTLE (Hero's Challenge) - Reuben Kee*

20 - REQUIEM

26 - CREDITS

BONUS ARISTS:

NeoS

Red = Claimed tracks

Magenta = Extension

Purple = WIP

Blue = Significant WIP

Green = DONE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument contacts

Geoffrey Taucer - acoustic guitar (AIM - GeoffTaucer, MSN - midgetboysk8@hotmail.com)

MagiNinjA - clarinet, violin (AIM - ReMiXedD, MSN - xmagiragnarok@yahoo.com)

PriZm - electric guitar (MSN - prizm_shard@hotmail.com)

The Prophet of Mephisto - bass, saxophone, vocals (AIM - mavericksprophet)

Ryan8bit - bass, guitars, vocals (AIM - Ryan8bit)

XMark - rhythm/solo guitars (AIM - ChexMark)

Zoola - saxophones (AIM - zoola4zoola)

Olarin - cello and double bass

Jeff Ball - violin and viola (AIM - some1namedjeff)

just64helpin - whistler

Fishy - bass, acoustics, e-guitar (pm, irc)

ShrackAttack - percussion, various (pm, irc)

Note: If you have any questions regarding this project, PM me. If you wish to claim a track and I know who you are, please msg me with your thoughts on what you plan to do with the source you are claiming. If you wish to claim a track and are new, please send me a sample of your latest work. WIP claims are on a case by case basis. Thanks!

Other Contributions: (help wanted)

Design: Monobrow

Illustration: Monobrow (looking for volunteers)

Promotion: Monobrow (looking for volunteers)

Final Mastering: (looking for volunteers)

Edited by Monobrow

Can I claim track #5 from the first DW? It's the same as#11 from DW2 and #6 from DW3 - are you eliminating duplicates?

Cool choice. :-) If you're going for that, I guess i'll have to step back, since i've already got one of the tracks done and my first take on this theme wasn't up to par. Can't wait to hear yours!

Hey guys, I made my first update, yay!

So I just want to say this: About duplicates... I kinda want them in there, but I do want to run them by you good people first. I am the type that is for any possible interpretation. Every single song is going to sound different, everyone's interpretation is going to have something worthwhile. This is how I roll.

I don't view it at all as a competition. However I want to make sure everyone is comfortable with this first. I am for Unknown World being put in there three times since it is in all three games, but since NeoS has a song already, it was really nice and polite of you to "step back" but I don't want that. Redo your song dude, after the work you did the first time, you deserve that chance, even if it may end up as a "bonus" for compromise. And djp? Can't wait to hear what you have to give either.

Moving forward. I am just excited that people want to do music! haha

I'm gonna start figuring out a forum setup for you guys to go, and also I really wanted to point out that SETTING ALL THAT TEXT UP ON THE FIRST PAGE IS ANNOYING AS HELL. Bolds, italics, text size, color, assigning names to shit, man that took forever!

I can't believe you would have the AUDACITY to take my beautiful, COMPLETED town remix I made nearly 5 years ago off the project. :<

Actually, thanks. Did you listen to that atrocity? I don't even think I have a copy anymore.

Oh yeah, and Zoola, no I never got to hear it. I really am curious now. Also get back on this project! :J

Oh yeah, it also seems like Olarin wants to try an improv on that Unknown World/Alefgard/Overworld theme as well lol...

Hey I say go for it, it may become a bonus too but give it a shot please!

Edited by Monobrow

Hey guys, I made my first update, yay!

So I just want to say this: About duplicates... I kinda want them in there, but I do want to run them by you good people first. I am the type that is for any possible interpretation. Every single song is going to sound different, everyone's interpretation is going to have something worthwhile. This is how I roll.

In my opinion (you're free to disregard it), one person should be allowed to name their track "Unknown world" and use it as the central material.

Everyone else should consider medleys instead, and weave some material from Unknown world with other themes.

The symphonic suites tend to do medleys of tracks rather than tracks on their own for example.

Dragon Quest music is not very motif-based (unlike, for example, Final Fantasy in which we hear the 'main theme' in many songs - you may get the "sad" version and the "chase" version and the "fighting" version) so it may be interesting to get variations of the same track.

In my opinion (you're free to disregard it), one person should be allowed to name their track "Unknown world" and use it as the central material.

Everyone else should consider medleys instead, and weave some material from Unknown world with other themes.

The symphonic suites tend to do medleys of tracks rather than tracks on their own for example.

Dragon Quest music is not very motif-based (unlike, for example, Final Fantasy in which we hear the 'main theme' in many songs - you may get the "sad" version and the "chase" version and the "fighting" version) so it may be interesting to get variations of the same track.

While I understand your reasoning, at this point I don't want to try to constrict the creative process in a way that forces people to medley anything up. IMO a good medley comes from the creative process and is implemented through great ideas "hey, this song really goes well with this song!". As in, they flow seamlessly. While I am sure people will medley things up (they already have in some of the finished material)... Well, they is what they is. Start with a song, and where you end up, who knows... But I will consider the starter song, the song with the most source used as a remix of that particular song, no matter what else people do...

This just will make things less confusing in the long run, IMO.

And yeah, I understand the way the symphonic suites did it, they were going for (and constricting themselves to) a certain style of presentation. IMO there is no need for that in this sort of album project.

Hey guys! The forums are up and working for anyone who is on the project to see now. If you want to see the SUPER SEKRET part of the forum for being on this project, sign up and give Kyle a shout (in his shoutbox or pm him or call him and chew him out) and things will be all good.

In other news: I will be announcing a tentative WIP due date as soon as I have a few more sign ups, which should be pretty soon.

I also have a few surprises coming if you guys listen to video game related radio shows etc. Oh no I spoiled the surprise!