Old 03-09-2005, 03:02 AM
David W. Lloyd, Administrator
Ganon (+8000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

OCR01326 - Turrican II 'The Desert Rocks vs. Concerto for Laser and Enemies'

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

djpretzel / www.ocremix.org / www.djpretzel.com / anime mixes
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)

This is a really great piece of music. Makes me think of triforce majeure somewhat, nixdorux's ghost mix, and others.

Really enjoyable.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Phillip Siebold
Sheng Long (+10000)

Send a message via MSN to Xelebes
Um... while not at all trancy, rather softer form of happy hardcore, which is good as I was just listening to a DJ Tyco set. This song would actually sound very sweet in a happy hardcore set actually with it being a very nice and obvious throwback to 80's dance music.

Bery nice, be it slightly compressed and trying to go through a lot a bit too quickly and so on but nice.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:12 AM
Beverley Wooff, Project Chaos Asst. Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Can't say that I'm familiar with the source material, but this is pretty damn good in its own right. This mix has got a wide range of atmospheres throughout, from the mentioned happy hardcore portions at the start towards some more climatic Ratchet & Clank style progressions from around 0:38 to 0:59 to what can be shown to be what I feel is the main pulse of the piece from 1:31 onwards given the upbeat synths all around it. I see this as a mix full of surprises, so that's also great to know.

One thing that has seemed to quirk me about it is that to me it sounded like two mixes sellotaped at once, given the vast differences between the opening and the rest of the mix. I also thought the synths that came in at 1:31 felt a bit dry for my taste, but that's probably just me. They in no way dampen this mix as a whole. Excellent work all around.

I may sound a bit geeky saying this, but has anyone tried singing Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" alongside the music at 4:12? That's what that area reminds me of, in a good way of course. :P
Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Sheng Long (+10000)

Send a message via AIM to Corporal Eschebone Send a message via MSN to Corporal Eschebone
I just about pissed my pants when I saw a brand-new Turrican 2 mix on the main page. I've never played the game, but after Mark7's mix introduced me to the awesomeness of the soundtrack and helped me recognize the name Huelsbeck through my journeys over the Internet, I came to appreciate Chris Huelsbeck as a god.

I loved the combination trance/80's vibe that certain sections have going for them. That melody was what made me love The Desert Remake, and it'll definately make me listen to this song with religious frequency.

Nutbustin' work Awesome-A.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM

The only problem I had with this was that in the middle section the trance synth was exposed enough for the wobble effect to make a noticable pitch fluxation that was kind of hard to listen too. Other than that great work.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:17 AM
James Jackson
Ryu Hayabusa (+700)

This remix is just pure genius, and one of my favorites. The intro is fantastic and sets up the song nicely, what with its bombastic beats and what have you. The transition at 1:30 is fabulous, and the Desert Rocks theme is one of the catchiest in all of gaming history. Gotta love these orchestral/electronic hybrids. My only nitpick is its ending, which I'm not overly fond with. It leaves me unfulfilled. However, this is awesome work from Awesome-A , and I really hope he continues remixing.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Octorok (+200)

Send a message via AIM to Nobbynob Littlun
Wow! Though of the techno genre, I'd say this contains progression/nuances/subtleties that should make it enjoyable for even the hardcore classical afficionados!

Very happy song, though in the second half it gets a nice tense line.

I LOVE that little woobly sound at 0:33.
The chord change at 2:40 is perfect.
You avoided the fadeout at end of song, nice.

This, sir, is a work to be proud of.

Now, some things I think could use improvement... 3:19-3:41, and continuing on from there with backup, is a synth that could use some variation, particularly in the attack and sustain (i.e. changes in volume, slight pitch would do the trick).

3:51-3:54 I think could use a little extra drumwork, maybe just some sixteenth or thirty-second notes with two different pitch of tom-toms or something, HI-lolololo-HI-lolololo, would add a nice subtlety to build it some and let it off in the next part
Old 09-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Banned
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

Wow. I agree with Xelebes about the Happy hardcore part. It's softer, and without those cheesy vocals. 9.5/10
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 AM

This is a f**king TUNE! I may even give it the honour of being my mobile-phone ringtone.

Tags
piano, synth, electronic