QL Goliath VST

Dissidia

I'm thinking about buying Goliath from QL, I have a special offer that grants me:

50% off on any QL product and a free iLok key. http://www.soundsonline.com/Quantum-Leap-Goliath-Virtual-Instrument-pr-EW-176.html

Total cost would be 247,50$, the reason I want Goliath is because I want a broad range of instruments and sounds. Now for question: Are there any better "complete" libraries out there?

Also, I would like to hear your opinions on Goliath.

The offer only lasts 4 four more days so I don't have much time.

EastWest Colossus, which is basically what Goliath is now with another piano thing, used to be $995 IIRC, so thats a fairly decent deal. I really did not like a lot of the samples in Colossus and most of them are pretty fucking old and hard to really do justice with, but at $249 you could do much worse.

Complete libraries? Well, you could get the EastWest Composer's Collection for $995 (I think thats still the price), which gives you Goliath plus EWQLSO, EW Pianos Gold, Voices of Passion, Ra, StormDrum, and I think another one although I'm drawing a blank. Thats your complete library there, although you'd have to buy the iLok.

Yes, actually they have a special deal for the composers collection as well (until 28th February) 70% off the list price of each product. I forgot to mention that the 50% offer also ships for free. These two offers cannot be combined. I would go for the complete composers collection but unfortunately I can't afford it atm.

Moseph: I'm looking for a complete everything-but-the-kitchen-sink set VST.

Meteo: Do you think it's possible to make music with only Goliath (while sounding good)?

Soundsonline are giving me dilemmas over and over again :lol:

Dude, you could have the most expensive and extensive library in the world and that won't guarantee your tracks are going to be any good by themselves. Remember the major foundation of this website and out culture were built out of pure waves, FM synthesis and cheap PCM samples from 1992. Fuck, man, Final Fantasy VI is glorified GM MIDI - Final Fantasy VIII-IX too.

So if you can get a full-range professional library that gets you started for only $250 with a free dongle - go for it. Nothing is ever going to sound good by itself, its only going to sound good with your effort.

Dude, you could have the most expensive and extensive library in the world and that won't guarantee your tracks are going to be any good by themselves. Remember the major foundation of this website and out culture were built out of pure waves, FM synthesis and cheap PCM samples from 1992. Fuck, man, Final Fantasy VI is glorified GM MIDI - Final Fantasy VIII-IX too.

So if you can get a full-range professional library that gets you started for only $250 with a free dongle - go for it. Nothing is ever going to sound good by itself, its only going to sound good with your effort.

Yeah that is very true and I agree completely. The reason I asked that question was: "I really did not like a lot of the samples in Colossus and most of them are pretty fucking old and hard to really do justice with".

I still have a few more days to think about it, and at this rate I'm going to buy it.

Yeah that is very true and I agree completely. The reason I asked that question was: "I really did not like a lot of the samples in Colossus and most of them are pretty fucking old and hard to really do justice with".

I still have a few more days to think about it, and at this rate I'm going to buy it.

Sometimes I wish I had Colossus or Goliath. There have been a handful of times when I looked to my samples and was disappointed that I couldn't get some generic band sound or something like that--lately I've been dipping into the Kontakt general library and I've collected some other libraries over the years that fill in some of the gaps, but say for example, I don't have a generic sax sample, I just generally don't USE them, but if someone wants one, I'm sort of stuck unless I go buy Mr. T-sax or something.

But when I was starting out, man, it would've been nice to have a general library to dip into that had like... everything--even if it wasn't great.

And that's really the question, man. Quality or quantity?

Sometimes I wish I had Colossus or Goliath. There have been a handful of times when I looked to my samples and was disappointed that I couldn't get some generic band sound or something like that--lately I've been dipping into the Kontakt general library and I've collected some other libraries over the years that fill in some of the gaps, but say for example, I don't have a generic sax sample, I just generally don't USE them, but if someone wants one, I'm sort of stuck unless I go buy Mr. T-sax or something.

But when I was starting out, man, it would've been nice to have a general library to dip into that had like... everything--even if it wasn't great.

And that's really the question, man. Quality or quantity?

Yes you're right, thank you. My mind is almost set now.

Well, I still used it. I was dissatisfied with Colossus/Goliath, but that doesn't mean I don't think its a great buy for starters at $250.

In this line of work, $250 doesn't go far, so grab it, learn to work with it difficulties, and put out some good work and you'd have gained a good amount of EXP points for this line of work.

I can name a handful of people who can make good-sounding music with soundfonts.

*cough* Nutritious *cough*

I know, but that's not where I'm getting at :-P

When I do spend money I want it to sound better than freeware, otherwise it feels like a waste you know.

In this line of work, $250 doesn't go far, so grab it, learn to work with it difficulties, and put out some good work and you'd have gained a good amount of EXP points for this line of work.

That's a valuable point, I'll remember it.

I noticed that the price is 247.50$ for US & International customers while it's 211€ for European customers which equals 287$. I still think I'll buy it in the EU shop, I have been unlucky with taxes/customs in the past and it wasn't even a pricey order, actually it was 2 ocarinas. I got a kokiri/sarias ocarina and my friend got an ocarina of time (in case you were wondering :lol:) good times.