Theoretical Passive Monitoring Setup

Hey guys, I have been using my Shure SRH840 recently for mixing and they have been working well for me but I feel monitors would help me do a better job mixing. I plan on getting some monitors but I am got some issues in regards to the room I am putting them in. Basically the design sucks. It's pretty assymetrical and after doing more research I found that active speakers are gonna difficult to use in my room. I can't treat my room because of the bed that is in there and the weird ass corners and an area that sections off that has the family computer there so it is pretty crowded.

I plan on changing up my current home theatre setup and I thought, if I were to buy a receiver with the Audessy MultiEQ with enough power to drive the passive speakers I was interested in (Tannoy Precision 8), that it would allow for a more suitable monitoring environment for me. I also feel like it would work out for me in two ways, 1) I have my monitors to help with mixing and 2) I have my home speakers to see how well said mixes translate. Of course this all theory.

What do you guys think?

Also the lowest the Precision 8 can go is 54Hz. If I plan on doing occasional rap music, is that gonna be low enough, or would I have to get a 8" sub? My "workspace area" is 11' x 11.5' x 8'. smh Don't forget I could use the Audessy if that even makes a difference.

I don't understand why you're getting passive monitors if you're short on space. Active monitors are designed for smaller spaces and much less hassle. If you do go passive, you have to make sure you match the amp to the speakers. Do you know the wattage and impedance of the monitors? Do you know how to properly match that with an amp? You can get the best passive monitors on the market, but they'll be useless if you don't drive them correctly, not to mention the noise and hiss you'll get from a cheap amp.

I don't understand why you're getting passive monitors if you're short on space.

I will have the space to put the passive monitors when I wall mount my left and right home theatre speakers on the front wall. The passives will be on stands I believe about 6 feet away from me which is borderline far. In THAT aspect I have space. The room treatment aspect I am boned because of the room design. I can only put in one bass trap in the corner of my room and one or two panels at most. As I mentioned before, I was interested in getting passives because I thought if I could connect them with my Denon receiver, I could use the Audessey to EQ the speakers to my room. I don't think I can't do that with active speakers because of how they work.

Active monitors are designed for smaller spaces and much less hassle. If you do go passive, you have to make sure you match the amp to the speakers. Do you know the wattage and impedance of the monitors? Do you know how to properly match that with an amp? You can get the best passive monitors on the market, but they'll be useless if you don't drive them correctly, not to mention the noise and hiss you'll get from a cheap amp.

I did keep those things in mind. If anything I would prefer getting Focal CMS 65 (which I am still considering), set them up and call it a day. Then I read about acoustics and got me thinking differently. Or perhaps I am just over thinking this acoustics thing. :banghead:

Anyways, the Precision 8 is 80-160W @ 8 ohms. Nominal impedence 6 ohms. The Average power of the speakers are 80W and the program is 160W. I THINK I would need an amp or receiver that can dish out 160W so that the amp won't get stressed out powering the speaker. I can double check with my father since he is the audio buff.

In that setup I'd make sure the amp can crank out at least 240W, you want that headroom. As for EQing your speakers to the room, do you really have the tools and ability to do so? Unless you're a professional EQing your room will fail, trust me on that. Your best bet is to treat the room as best you can, even one bass trap is better than none. Also, a better way to go through this would be to learn your speakers as they naturally are. Substituting room treatment with EQ is a very bad idea, that technique is more suited to very subtle aspects of a room sound after it's been treated. You can't solve a rooms moderate or major acoustic problems with EQ.

And yes, you are very much over-thinking the acoustics thing. My suggestion to you is to re-consider going active. But if you still want to go passive you'll get great results with those speakers, just don't try the room EQ thing.

Hey Snappleman, I thought a little bit more about what you said. I think I will go with active speakers after all. For one thing it's less of a hassle. Another thing is that the Focal CMS 65 would suit me better. I always had problem with the lower end with my mixes and I think they would give me a better picture of what is going on in that end.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.