Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Rashad Hill
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

This is sweet, I love the 80's feel of all of your music that's been established by you. I'm not familiar with the source tune of this actually I'll have to go and listen to this. Good stuff Will.
"We are not wise enough yet, nor are we civilized. As long as there's prisons, police, armies, navies, we are not civilized. When the world joins together, and agrees to use the Earth intelligently...That'll be the beginning of the civilized age" - Jacque Fresco
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Goomba (+100)

Send a message via AIM to Pander
Wow you need to hit Gradius, willrock. This sounds like it belongs in Gradius III.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Still not feeling that snare, but amazing solo and some good times to be had by all on this one. A very fun arrangement that works out pretty well.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 AM
William Harby, Judge
Ghaleon (+2250)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Ricers View Post
Willrock actually made one, but it wasn't accepted on this site Maybe if he wanted to re-work this mix?
I still could do I guess :P

I do believe BGC told me he would see me banned forever if I didn't resub it... I haven't resubbed it yet...

Also, LT quote from the judges decision :P

Quote:
The guitar solo at 1:52 was decent, but the sample was pretty exposed and didn't sound realistic. That was the first time I've heard you sequence a electric guitar in the context of it needing to sound authentic, which is a good risk to try; not terrible, but keep at it.
The guitar was actually PLAYED by me. No sequencing.

Larry-bot fail :D
<3 you really
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Nabeel Ansari
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer
The guitar solo at 1:52 was decent, but the sample was pretty exposed and didn't sound realistic. That was the first time I've heard you sequence a electric guitar in the context of it needing to sound authentic, which is a good risk to try; not terrible, but keep at it.
As willrock said

LARRY FAIL

Willrock can play guitar, dude.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Blake Troise
Tanooki Mario (+1500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neblix View Post
Willrock can play guitar, dude.
He can't. He programs the MIDI into his brain so his fingers are automated. Filthy cheater.

Good song, one of my favourites of yours. <3

Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Nabeel Ansari
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoDome View Post
He can't. He programs the MIDI into his brain so his fingers are automated. Filthy cheater.

Good song, one of my favourites of yours. <3
Dude, the system.

THEY CAN'T KNOW ABOUT THE LIES, MAAAAN.
I DON'T WANNA DIE MAN!!!

DUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Kraid (+1200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Here's my full review as promised.

Willrock is an interesting character. He takes alot of genres to different novel levels in his music. This one's more of a rock that's more of a groove than a smack in the face which is a nice switch. There's definately Castlevania sound and a bit of Zelda LA's Tal Tal Mountain at 0:26. The 303-ish bass is an interesting insert with the organ and a kind of chiptunish sound for the bass. I like the lead synth at 1:04 as it's got a very saxy (or sexy) kind of sound that works well with the organ and synth basslines. At 1:39, things get going good in terms of the arrangement and a solo guitar 1:52 really brings out the emotion of the entire feel of Mario having a hard time in the castle. 2:45 and onward though, I just couldn't get into it, but at the ending is where a good smackdown comes in as well as the snare/crash combination which works as a superb move.
To conclude for some odd reason, this isn't something I'd have on repeat over and over. It just doesn't appeal to me even though synth rock is a beautiful genre, especially if you did a Mario track with a Castlevania type sound. I guess I'm just used to Konami making my pulse go during an epic 2D level while listening to a great track. What I'll do is give a 8/10 since it's got some great arrangement qualities as well as excellent instrument choices, however, I'd love to hear more of Willrock's work before I give better reviews on his stuff.

8/10

Last edited by A-RoN; 04-23-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Martin K.
Simon Belmont (+2500)

Send a message via AIM to Martin Penwald
Definitely hearing the Castlevania connection once the organ comes in at 0:32. Nice synth following up, and the guitar adds that delicious extra-layer of 80's cheese.

My only complaint is that everything until 1:36 sounds like an intro; I guess it's because the song just doesn't get a beat going; in my opinion, the beat in the background sounds like it's holding back the remix from starting for real.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Octorok (+200)

Send a message via AIM to Nobbynob Littlun
The drums' hollowness is actually a good thing in my book, adds to the feel of it. Come to think of it, they remind me of the drums in Castlevania: SotN, "Final Toccata"... looking it up... at around the 4:15 mark in that song. So yeah.

I also really like that low baseline synth in this. A good spot to hear what I'm talking about is 0:36. Actually this whole thing reminds me of the main theme song for Legacy of Kain, Soul Reaver as much (more?) than it does Castlevania. Doubly awesome.

The only thing that I'm meh about is the electric guitar. It just sounds too... high in pitch and heavily processed, given the other sounds surrounding it. It doesn't balance out. Balance of high and low pitched sounds is a big deal imo, and that balance is so neatly found in the first minute of this song, the rest of the song is... well, it's too good to be a letdown, but it's not up to par with the first minute of the song.

Regardless, good stuff, definitely a keeper!

Tags
electric-guitar, organ, rock, synth