OCR01370 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'The Sad Fish'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zelda.zip - Track 47

I recalled this one from VGF59 and was glad to see it make its way to djp's inbox. The source tune entered in at :25 on a delicate French horn, and yea it was good. I'd like to see Gray in particular assess how well the execution was pulled off. It could use some refinement, but I don't need to tell Nicolas how to make his material, cuz his catalog of stuff has been pretty strong overall.

All of the arranged material was well-varied and the atmosphere was very relaxed. 1:46-2:42 dragged on a bit, and could have had a bit more going on in terms of the composition, but maybe y'all will love it. The piece as a whole was a bit too quiet for me, but you know how I am, right? Needs to be drastically overcompressed to even be listenable. Seriously though, nothing against the volume as it fit the style and the genre.

Though I heard some light popping there, I liked the flute trill at 2:48. That was a nice little touch there before...Oh ho, what's this? That was a VERY pimp transition into some incredibly catchy string, drum & piano rearrangement at 2:58. Wow. Way to breath a lot more life into the piece for the finish! I felt as if the arrangement could have been more active and intricate at times, but had no big qualms. Good enough for the YES.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no serious problems with this. Nice samples, and a good, interpretative arrangement. The writing is a bit schizophrenic for my tastes, but otherwise I enjoyed this.

Those who, like me, like music in the classical tradition but don't much care for overblown film scores ought to appreciate this one.

YES

hmm. i'm going to work very hard not to let my personal relationship with this theme interfere here...

but i have to start off by saying that the first introduction of the windfish theme in the intro seems a little forced compositionally... as though the piece was not quite willing to accept the melody but was forced to.

another thing that irks me is that the section from 1:20 (starting with the hit) lasting through the gentle breakdown at 1:40 is reminiscent of what i could have sworn was a previously arranged version of the windfish theme. but its probably just my imagination

the rest of the arrangement is fantastic. of course the production quality is top notch and i've come to expect this of nixdorux.

the move into a jazz interpretation was key. reminds me a lot of al dimeola's work on World Sinfonia. very nice

i approve

all in all, a good piece and while it goes a lot into french impressionist tones through stretches of it (sounds a bit schiz like michael said), i still think it goes to show a solid understanding of musicality.

YES

This is on the quiet side, like Larry said, but nothing a slight adjustment to your volume knob won't fix (better to have that then clipping problems). Aside from this, the production values were good.

I think the arrangement was quirky, but well-done overall. Considering the length, the introduction could have probably been a little shorter or less minimal; I felt it was on the sparse side. Nonetheless, that certainly doesn't detract from the overall mix all that much. Transitions were cool, too - good job on those.

I don't have a lot to say on this one because it's simply a great mix that meets the standard easily. Awesome.

YES