OCR02035 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Agahnim Arsenik"

I have to say, the discussion of the chastity of mothers in the decision thread literally made my day 500% better. Thank you for this laugh. :-)

As to the song... well, it was definitely awesome, although I have to agree with Palpable and say I didn't think it was Seb's best yet. But it, too, also made my day a lot better, and for that I thank him and OCRemix. :-D Definitely worth a listen.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Judge Vig on this one. I found it... tedious. And while I like cheesy movies, I do not like cheesy synths - unless they are placed in balance with tones that are sufficiently non-cheese. Unfortunately everything here seems to be pure cheese, and not particularly interesting cheese at that.

No amount of fine, nitpicky effects processing will make up for repetitive repetitions of repedity (1'08 for something to finally happen? Seriously?), long drags of not-quite-harmony (2'07, seriously?) or ultra-cheesy synths.

I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but did everyone just say, "Oh hey, AeroZ is doing Zelda3" and just want to believe that it's good? :/

I think a large part of it is just that this song did not lend itself to the style. I do think, though, that if AeroZ did a short - maybe 1 to 1'30 long - ReMix of Zelda's dungeon music, it would work quite well. But not this. Sorry, but... no. Just... no. Ick.

I gotta say well done to aeroZ for a very creative arrangement. Sure it takes a while to get going, but when it does, there is so much crazy gating, sample cutoffs, and sound modulation techniques going on that really shows attention to detail.

However, i'm not so sure that this is sitting so well with me. I'm not a fan of the sound design really, the samples (excluding the drums and bass, which seem thin by comparison) all have a kind of fat timbre, without being particularly hard hitting, and the arrangement I find to get a tad boring at times.

Not something i'm going to download for myself, but what I will say is that people who like updated chiptunes sounds and a good groove will find something to like here :)

I enjoy a lot of the subtle little things done throughout the mix, but I don't think that's enough to make me enjoy the way the source was interpreted here. I don't know if it really works like it's supposed to. With the sounds it's obvious that all the choices were intentional, but they just left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I think that's more because of the arrangement than anything else, though.

Wow… just wow.

I thought for a lopng time that no one could do the Hyrule Castle theme justice.

Then comes aeroz, who did one of the sickest SMW themes I've ever heard, and BAM!, drops this one on me.

Can you say, auditory orgasm?

I think the hairs in my ears were standing up when I listened to this.

Some nice phat bass, an enchanting treble line, and just the slightest bit chiptune, all thrown in a blender and tossed into a cement mixer to amke yet another excellent rearrangement.

If aeroz ever does a Kefka based remix, I'll die a happy man.

If anyone is wondering what the heck it actually says in English, here's the translation!

"Kom kom kom, Medan som-som-sommaren ännu hänger sig kvar, Medan natten ännu är ljum, Och vår längtan lockar och drar, Kom kom kom, Det finns dom dom dom som ser chansen glida förbi, Ta min hand så gör vi allt det som dom låter bli"

Come, come, come, when the sum-sum-summer is still (hänger -> hanging...sounds awkward to use in direct translation)here. While the night is still young(ljum doesnt mean young, but still close to the same meaning), and our longing sticks and drags.(Swedish word choice and poetic language sounds weird in English, but that's okay, it's a translation after all.) Come, come, come, there is those those those that see the chance gliding bye, Take my hand so we can do all that they did not.

Hopefully that helps those who are curious! (from a Swedish-American)

-Loning

Cheesy intro, I can see how that would turn people off; you put out the weakest part of the mix (the synths) all pink and naked right off the bat, and people can't help but notice them throughout. Definitely a shot in the groin with a football.

Still, I liked it. It did feel a bit samey in places but that's the genre, arrangement wise no complaints. Good enough to groove to, play zelda 3 to, drive recklessly to, or get into a brawl with several town guards to.

I don't like how low the volume seems to be overall in this song - it seems like to me that not all of the sounds are crisp, possibly due to some crowding. The song also sounds a bit on the thin side, mainly with the lower frequencies. In this case, I feel like production boosts would help this song immensely for most people's enjoyability.

Some nifty ideas in this song though, and I'm surprised to see an absence of Sebastian's cello. A bit short though.

I know you can do better Sebastian!

You've definitely spoiled me in the past with some tremendously out-there arrangements always with that chippy, synthy Swedish charm that I've come to expect from both you and AnSo. The drawback is that ones like this, that take a little while to build up speed, feel a little less spectacular in comparison.

So while not your best track, this is still quite a good one. Favorite part is right after minute 2 when you switch the section you're doing.

The panning feels a little disparate between sides, which creates points of strength and weakness depending on what instruments are playing at any given moment. Interesting but I wasn't the biggest fan of that choice this time around. The attention to detail for the glitchy chip noises somewhat compensates but doesn't fully negate the panning issue.

Overall, a cool new take on the source, and while not the best display of your skills, it is still catchy and quirky.

PS. Needs moar cello.

If you aren't finding anything interesting going on until 1:08, you are doing it wrong. I was completely rocking for the entire time, and I absolutely love the track. Sure, it's lofi, but it's an intentional choice, and it works really well. I wish there was a bigger ending, but overall this track is sick.

And you sir know how to rock. :ocrgreen:

I almost wish AeroZ's mixes were in surround sound. That way we could really hear all of the microsound details he puts into his mixes. I really enjoy how different ideas are introduced and developed throughout the mix. Really gives the mix a sense of forward motion. Kudos good sir! :)

this is a well-written and produced mix for sure, and I would think that AeroZ executed his vision here just the way he wanted, but something about it rubs me the wrong way. the melody at 1:50 with the sampled zelda strings was hottness, but a lot of it (although there are lots of little nuances all over the place) just seemed too heavily arranged for me to personally appreciate it as a hyrule castle mix. setting my source bias aside, this is definitely a creative piece with lots of cool lo-fi sounds and crazy attention to detail - high quality stuff as always, but it just doesn't captivate me the way many of AeroZ's other mixes do.

• 1 year later...

AeroZ seems to be a highly-skilled remixer, and this is a quality mix. There's just one problem...

Whatever happened to the melody?! We never liked the Hyrule Castle tune for the base or chords. It was the melody that stuck out. AeroZ has made a catchy mix, but he has forgotten what made the Hyrule Castle music so memorable.

I find that appreciation for melody decreases at an alarming rate among people these days. At first I thought it was just the teenage crowd that didn't like melody. Then I expanded my opinion and thought it was the whole listening crowd (i.e., not the musicians). Now I find that even the musicians are heading steadily away from melodies and leaving us only bass, percussion, and chords... Then again, I might be able to blame early "rock 'n' roll" (like the likes of Elvis and Stevie Wonder) for that. Not that I'm saying rock has to exist without a good melody...

Video game music and movie soundtracks seem to be the only sure-fire places to market melody and especially orchestrated music. Let's not ruin that...

AeroZ seems to be a highly-skilled remixer, and this is a quality mix. There's just one problem...

Whatever happened to the melody?! We never liked the Hyrule Castle tune for the base or chords. It was the melody that stuck out. AeroZ has made a catchy mix, but he has forgotten what made the Hyrule Castle music so memorable.

Uh, the melody comes in around 1:50. What remix are you listening to?

And there is way more to the Hyrule Castle theme than just the melody; specifically the instantly recognizable syncopated brass line that AeroZ adapts to great effect in this mix. There are many ways to approach and arrange a piece of music; adapting the non-melodic elements is one way of doing that.

I find that appreciation for melody decreases at an alarming rate among people these days. At first I thought it was just the teenage crowd that didn't like melody. Then I expanded my opinion and thought it was the whole listening crowd (i.e., not the musicians). Now I find that even the musicians are heading steadily away from melodies and leaving us only bass, percussion, and chords... Then again, I might be able to blame early "rock 'n' roll" (like the likes of Elvis and Stevie Wonder) for that. Not that I'm saying rock has to exist without a good melody...

Video game music and movie soundtracks seem to be the only sure-fire places to market melody and especially orchestrated music. Let's not ruin that...

Stevie Wonder is "early rock 'n roll?" Are you accusing Elvis and Stevie Wonder of not writing strong melodies? Have you ever even heard a song by either of those artists? It seems to me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to post a review in the review threads, that's great. If you want to leave a constructive review, that's fine. But if you're going to sit here and get on a soapbox and spout ill-informed nonsense about some hypothetical pervasive decline of melody in modern music, you can keep it to yourself.

Stevie Wonder is "early rock 'n roll?" Are you accusing Elvis and Stevie Wonder of not writing strong melodies? Have you ever even heard a song by either of those artists? It seems to me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Alright, I admit much of Stevie Wonder's music has plenty of fantastic melody ("Superstition" comes to mind). In fact, I'm kind of embarrassed that I came off this badly and that my examples didn't really help my point. But my examples are not my point in themselves.

I'm kinda referring to what I call "Rockin' Robin Syndrome", where popular music is-- instead of high-quality music that is built around a good melody-- whatever sounds catchy and rhythmic and moves your body. This kind of music is absorbed by the masses who don't appreciate music for, well, music, and who just want their body and emotions to be moved mindlessly. It destroys the quality of music. Being such an astounding musician as you are, DarkeSword, I think you know where I'm coming from, even if you don't really agree.

Like I said before, this remix is quite good. I just... I've just been alarmed lately by how much people who don't have passion for music and who don't want to understand it have predominance in the music industry, and in music production in general. Regardless, I apologize for miscommunicating myself. It's probably not good for me to rant when I'm already upset...

• 11 months later...

Absolutely love the bass and beat to this one! This is the kind of ReMix that just gets you to move, and the arrangement really shined in this. The title was pretty clever and I don't really hear anything wrong with this one. Lo-fi rock that brings back a lot of good memories, since the beginning of Zelda LttP was one of the things I liked about it, music-wise. Very nice.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02035 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Agahnim Arsenik"