OCR02198 - Pokémon Red Version "Drowning Blue"

djpretzel

just want to go ahead and echo something I said in the album review thread:

the mp3 that was included in the album torrent is not the correct version; it is OLD and got mixed up during bundling

the mixposted version here is CORRECT, as is the FLAC version on the album, and has much improved mixing/mastering/EQ compared to the mp3 in the torrent

thanks for listening and thanks for the mixpost :3

Looking at the game version this remix is classified under, it sounds like the main character is holding his rivals head underwater. O.o

Annnnyway this remix is really great the ss anne is the one part of the game you can't ever return to (unless you cheat of course) so weirdly the source sticks in your head and so does this remix,

love the slow breakdown which then brings it back.

Very good remix and thank you for including it in the album.

I always loved the St. Anne theme. I thought it was beautiful and elegant, especially remastered. It's a shame that the only time it played was when you were on a boat that lasted maybe fifteen minutes to a half hour if you wasted time battling everyone. I almost missed the Poke Center bit you put in there, but it was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the drowning out ending to the ReMix. Overall, you gave it a good chippy work over and it added that playful sense of fun to it. Great job.

• 4 months later...

This is probably my favorite Pokemon tune and I was really happy to see that someone went after it for a remix. I'm also very pleased with the results! Excellent work. It does my heart good to see a great tune given the proper appreciation and attention it deserves, and done so well too!

• 4 months later...

S.S. Anne! If the version in FireRed was of any indication, it's a wonderful source to lend one's style to for a remix.

So the track starts out fairly faithful, but in true Ben Briggs fashion it uses the progression as a foundation to manipulate over a more original structure, complete with some very interesting synth work being placed throughout. Even the little downtempo/syncopated part at 1:25 moving to the source's B theme helped to break the monotomy somewhat here and the gradual build back up to regular tempo also helped really give in a strong sense of color. That ending with the increasing echo/reverb space and the hi-passing does sound somewhat of a strange note to end with though, but it still shows another hint of testament towards Ben's skills as a producer.

I may understand that you might've leaned a lot towards halc's style in this particular track, though the one thing I might advise you to work with is with your manipulation of your polysynth pads; they do kind of start to feel stale after a while. But after sensing your guys' work as Insert Rupee I can understand that you've learnt a lot in regards to texture to really focus on these little details, so I have a lot of trust in you. :)

Hence, another neat Poke-mix! I'm all up for seeing future developments from you even though you've been focusing on more original material lately :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02198 - Pokémon Red Version "Drowning Blue"