Support OCR Month 2011! HUGEST SUCCESS EVER!!!! THANKS ALL!

big giant circles

*UPDATE*

ALL GOALS EXCEEDED!!

4TanSupportOCRsuccess-1.jpg

Original Post

Hi, Everybody! In a slight break of protocol, we are officially kicking off our annual Support OCR Month! Normally we dedicate all of April to this event, but since we're getting a late start, we're going to carry this over into May this year. It’s been an eventful year for everybody, both inside and outside OCR, but especially inside of it. We now go live, to the mixpost by David “djpretzel” Lloyd, our reporter in the field (and also site founder).

Just a quick note... at this point we've actually posted MORE than one album per month in 2011. We've posted more mixes so far this year than at the same point in 2010, which was our biggest year since 2004. Nevertheless, we've gotten fewer donations to the site so far this year than in any prior. Part of that is hopefully due to the down economy, but please consider helping out & chipping in... we should be kicking off our annual site fundraiser soon, but there's no reason to wait; while some artists are selling licensed - and unlicensed - VGM arrangement albums, OC ReMix remains a haven for FREE, amazing fan mixes that pay homage to fantastic tunes, and The Sound of Speed is yet another example.

You heard the man, more music than ever is flowing out of the site, reaching more and more fans, and yet our stream of supporters has dwindled to the smallest it’s seen since I kicked off our first fundraiser back in 2008. In addition to churning out tons of music releases and ReMix posts, DJP and many of the OCR staff members have been continuing their hard work on various back-end tasks pertaining to the site that aren’t necessarily outwardly visible, but constitute a ton of work. Meanwhile, the site continues to incur standard operating costs (which are kind of a lot), not to mention things like physical album prints and merchandise to stock our store with. Per my usual tendency to post statistics, this site has 33,700+ registered members, which is a small percentage of the ~170,000 unique hits per month from those as well as unregistered members. And that’s not counting our thriving social network hits across Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm and YouTube. We’re getting a lot of hits, and it’s awesome. We want to keep it that way. We want to keep providing great hosting of great content available to music and video game lovers all over the globe.

Last year I didn’t actually set a goal to reach, but this year I’m upping the ante to match our 2009 goal (which was not only met but EXCEEDED) back to $5,000.

Donate via PayPal HERE.

The economy is recovering, late filers (like myself) are being blessed with tax returns (thanks to the Making Work Pay credit, woohoo!) and once again, we’re releasing more great music than ever! We’ve released several amazing projects in the past year, and have a ton more on deck for the near future, we’re attending more and more conferences and conventions to spread the word on video game music appreciation, and we always have plenty of new and exciting things in the works. Help us continue to keep the site not only alive, but thriving! We’ve had several donations in the past from generous individuals in amounts as high as $500, which is amazing, but considering the sheer quantity of visitors we have, if everybody just chips in $5-10, we’ll hit our $5k goal in no time. :)

And as always, if you’re just prefer not to make a donation, that’s cool too. Remember, we have our Amazon and Zzounds.com affiliation links, PLUS OC ReMix shirts & hoodies available from our store. No amount is too large or too small, and every amount earns not only our deepest appreciation, but the assurance that you’re helping this community continue to grow!

Love,

Big Giant Circles & The OCR Staff

1luvu.gif(known) CONTRIBUTORS1luvu.gif(If I happen to overlook anyone, let me know!)

Shawn Wrenn 1luvu.gif

Jedi_Trooper 1luvu.gif

Several anonymous donors (you know who you are!) :)

Abadoss

BlackPhantom

wildfire

RECKENEFIN

SubNormal J3

SuperSlacker

keiiii

Chernabogue

AndiNo

Binjovi

Bananas

luhny

Hylian Lemon

BardicKnowledge

Vigafray

Callas

LAOS

DjMystix (x2!)

ocremixfan

justinj212

Liontamer

fil_razorback

AeroZ

Subz1987

Jedi_Trooper

JadeAuto

Wolt

rAnDOm_rOguE

Arrow

SuperNitronious

Marking

Majin GeoDooD

Dominik Roos

Nicholas Crouse

Ryan O'Connor

Kiyo Dante

Brad Joseph

Christopher Montour

George Eric Oliver

Martin Pelletier

Michael Shaggy Wacht

Rockos

Rozovian

KingTaruTaru

Adzeth

LostChronos

SirChadlyOC

GrayCascade

StarZander

Sag Ee Mana

DarkSim

EmpyClaw

chthonic

NinjaN

Velocifero

Xarnax42

diotrans

The Prophetik of Mephisto :)

evktalo

DjMystix

amulius

Flare4War

Flexstyle

Torzelan

FireSlash

Unstable Hamster

Callas

The Damned

Esker

SoundBoard

Hydrohs

Chthonic

Strider Kyoden

Beatdrop

dbyoshi

Kizyr

Tables

Detuned Logic

BlackPanther

StigtriX

ZhangXector

Paradocks

duskvstweak

Zak Higgins

Gogo Pain

Peter Barnikel

Karl George

Brew

FREAK55

BardicKnowledge

Gario

Barny

ocremixfan

HUGE thanks to Jimmy for starting this back in 2008; it's become an integral part of how the site is funded, and we appreciate all donations, large and small!

If you're cool with it, please post here (amount completely optional) if you donate so we know & can keep track, and to show others your support - maybe you'll start a trend!

I've been waiting for this to come around for a while now. My $25 are donated, and it's still probably not enough to cover everything I've gotten from here. If things are still going smoothly and I still feel guilty at the end of the month I may have to throw in a bit more to cover for previous years as well.

djp, OCR staff, and all the talented people that give their time and talents to make this site what it is, thanks once again to each of you. Now lets keep making 2011 the best year yet!

Fortunately I actually have some income this year. I just bought a shirt. I would have purchased two, but the black appeared to be out of stock. Oh well. I'll just hafta nab one later. Thanks to everyone for making this site and community so awesome!

Fortunately I actually have some income this year. I just bought a shirt. I would have purchased two, but the black appeared to be out of stock. Oh well. I'll just hafta nab one later. Thanks to everyone for making this site and community so awesome!

More on this later, but we're working on getting some more shirts in :)

The community that has built up here over the years is awesome. If you're new to the site and would like to get more involved with us than the occasional forum post, there are plenty of options for you to dip your toes in the water, as it were -- even if you're not a musician! Swing by IRC and chat (or just hang out and laugh at the random jokes), play a few rounds of Team Fortress 2 on the OCR server, or just join the Steam group.

Back in 2008 when I threw in a few dollars, I never thought that my involvement here would contribute significantly to my graduate studies. I'm looking forward to presenting my first paper at a major conference next month, largely because of assistance from a number of OCR community members. Presenting as part of an academic conference panel is relatively rare for a master's student -- we usually get relegated to poster presentations or the role of assistant. Thanks to everyone for helping me get to where I want to be!

Needless to say, I'm happy to continue to throw my hat into the ring, hopefully for a larger amount this year (gotta chat w/ my wife, who does the finances). Thanks again to Jimmy for starting this annual fund drive!