OCR02389 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Lucid States'

Liontamer

Ladies and gents of the panel,

I realize that my submission is bound to induce nausea in some of you, being a Chrono Trigger remix and a remix of Corridors of Time on top of that. But I assure you, you need not prepare yourselves to run to the bathroom or reach for your barf bags, because this mix presents a rather different take on the source from what is currently posted on the site. The majority of the Zeal remixes can be described as dreamy, chill, and containing ethnic elements, and therefore stay true to the emotions evoked by both the source material and the setting of the game. Perhaps I am committing a sacrilege here by making my mix dancy and groovy, and I anticipate that it might disappoint some listeners because of that. But I am sure that many will find it fun and enjoyable.

I originally envisioned a trance remix of this theme, and put together a short WIP that was more trancey. However, since I've been mostly listening to house and electro, those influences soon took over. Then one day I was chatting with DA, and it just so happened that she already had done some vocals for a Zeal remix, and she very kindly allowed me to incorporate her vocal work into my mix. It is safe to say that without her vocals this remix would have never sounded like a complete track, as is the case with our earlier collaboration "Elevation". I really hope that we can work together again soon.

Once the vocals were in, I really wanted to have a bridge/breakdown section that was different from the rest of the track. Initially, I wanted to have a piano section, but it didn't seem to work. This is when I heard Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me", which had a nice dubstep breakdown and served as an inspiration for one in this mix. I know, some people will frown at the mention of Britney, but hey, that track was very catchy and danceable. Anyhow, once the basic structure of the remix was in place, it took a lot of tweaking to get it to the stage when it is finally ready for your enjoyment. I am also hoping that the "90's will not be calling to ask for their production back this time."

Once again, I would like to thank zircon for his feedback and especially for introducing me to Paulstretch, which I used to create vocal textures in the intro. Also, thanks to beatdrop for his input.

In conclusion, I want to give a shout-out to other mixers of this theme who came before me. Especially mv, Unipulator, Joren de Bruin and Tweek, and Vagrance.

Till next time!

Remixer: ambient, Dragon Avenger

Name: Alex Gventsadze

Game: Chrono Trigger

Song arranged: Corridors of Time

Remix title: Lucid States

-------------------------------------------------------------

this is my first time joojin' a Corridor of Time mix, so no nausea here. :D

anyway, this is a pretty excellent electro-house arrangement you got here, and the vocals tie in really nicely. the synths are well chosen and mixing is quite solid overall, despite feeling just a bit sparse imo. the dubstep-ish bit in the middle was really well-executed.

cool stuff, I like it!

YES

I definitely agree that at times the soundscape feels a little sparse and bass heavy, and I think the reverb treatment when DA was singling cleanly could have been better integrated, as they felt a little pasted on. Not completely, but it was a bit jarring.

Overall, though, the crazy cool arrangement elevates this over the production nitpicks. It gets a little bit self-indulgent in a few sections, but I was groovin'

Yes

• 2 months later...

Nice groovy take here on a way overone source.

Agreed that the bass is quite heavy - that kick takes up SO much space. Also agreed that clean vocals felt pasted on. They could've used some more wetness to sit alongside everything else a bit more nicely. Besides that, not a whole lot to complain about. Generally cleanly mixed sound and solid production overall. I guess I could nitpick some harsh freqs in the effected vocals too, but really minor point there.

Sidenote: while I was and am a huge fan of the soundtrack, zeal wasn't near the top of my favorite tracks from CT. Not sure why it always gets so much attention, but I'm not complaining.

Source is all over this mix, but is changed up, modulated, sometimes mangled, which definitely brings a fresh new look at an oft remixed OST.

Nice work :nicework:

Yes

Love the arrangement. Zeal is my favorite song from an amazing soundtrack, and this was a very unique take on it. The production wasn't flawless though, and for sure, the bass was overhyped as mentioned. The distorted vocals got a little grating at their loudest and the clean vocals were drowned out by the dubstep synths. The soundscape could have been cleaner. That said, the rest of this was working (the arrangement especially so) and so I can give it the final YES. Definitely room for improvement though.

YES

• 3 months later...

I appear to have lost the original .txt of lyrics, but I'll transcribe them.

This place I know a simple reality

But what I know only my mind believes

A butterfly, that flies so high in the sky

What can I know only when dreams come true

Close your eyes and dream

Open your mind and see again

No idea what he did for the second verse, tbh. Sounds like it might just be a repeat of the first. Good luck!