Milkyway Project

Brandon Strader

game: Kirby SuperStar

composer: Jun Ishikawa, Dan Miyakawa

source: Green Greens / Rub, Kirby, Run (

/
)

remixname: REMIX TITLE PENDING

There's a lot that can be said about this mix.

Primary source is Green Greens, with a very tiny showing of Run, Kirby, Run near the end.

i'd like to change the mix title to [censored] and change the write-up to [redacted]

• 4 weeks later...

Cool soundscape overall, and the modulation and tempo change is pretty cool. The constant SFX are a minor distraction, but overall the piece works pretty well. The ending was weak, but the rest of the arrangement was good.

The sound balance was solid, and though the brass attack was just a touch behind, everything clicked pretty well. Overall pretty good work on the song.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I do like how you adapted the source to this style. It fits surprisingly well, and the overall soundscape isn't too cluttered. Not really digging the sound effects; they felt superfluous, but for the most part they are kept in the background. I'm not as torn by the ending as Andrew, but I agree it's not the strongest ever.

YES

• 2 months later...

This is actually a super-classy adaptation that really surprised me when I first heard it on the Milkyway Wishes album. It changes up the melody in a way that makes it much more suitable for the style, while managing to keep Green Greens recognizable all the way through. Very solid arranging going on here. The performances all line up and keep pace with the song, which is refreshing to hear from a Strader submission, and the backing instrumentation is made up of solid samples and subtle but effective writing. I really like the brass writing, in particular. I thought the sound effects actually added a bit to the remix overall and I never felt distracted by it overall.

Also, what's wrong with the ending? It wasn't amazing by any means, but it works as far as I'm concerned.

No reason this one shouldn't pass IMO :-)

YES

The arrangement felt somewhat repetitive, but was otherwise creative and solid. Nothing much else to say there other than cool approach and good work. The mix title though...uh...

The brass writing was really cheesy and probably should have been pulled back. As is, the acoustic guitar felt like it was getting trampled on. It could only be appreciated after the dropoffs of the brass from 1:23-1:43 & 2:14-2:35. That needs to be tweaked before I could be comfortable seeing this posted, the balance isn't right.

The timing of the strums during the choruses was a bit loose, but nothing dramatically negative. I agree that the fadeout ending was too sudden and abrupt, but it wasn't a dealbreaker. The sound effects were gratuitous, but oh well. Lots of "buts," as there were a lots of creative choices this could have done without. However, what's here does get the job done.

YES (conditional on brass levels)

Greetings, gentlemen!

Here is Kirb Reich with trumpet lowered by 3db.

Thanks for the chance to fix that :mrgreen:

Pulling that back also helped downplay some of the mechanical timing flaws, as is was too perfect. At 2:35, the trumpets should have stayed at their original volume, since it was the lead and not competing with anything else major, but that's a minor thing. What's much more important is that the trumpet isn't trampling on the guitar any longer. Thanks for the fix!

YES