Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

Introduction

Mega Man's fight for everlasting peace has touched the robotic hearts of Robot Masters everywhere! The time has come for the Robot Masters to band together and rise up against the oppressive rule of the evil Dr. Wily! Only through the use of the wickedest rock, the phattest of beats, and the sweetest of sounds will the Robot Masters be able to journey through Wily's Castles, racing against their brethren to defeat the evil tyrant!

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet (WCRG) is a team-based remix competition. Each remixer will choose a Robot Master, and then remixers will form teams of three.

• At the start of every round, I will reveal the Wily Castle theme, and the team-members will decide who will be the remixer for that round. All team members must remix for a round before there can be repeats.
  • The chosen remixer will then write a single remix using both their Robot Master's theme and the Wily Castle theme for that round. The other team members are allowed to help with production, playing instruments, etc., but the chosen remixer must act as the primary artist/arranger. The easiest way to think of this is that you are taking turns remixing for your team every week.
  • At the end of the round, voters will rank their top three entries, and placing entries will receive points.
  • At the end of the competition, points will be tallied, and the team with the most points wins.

Current News

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet scores have finally been tallied up! Here's the final ranking for the teams!

1. Block Rockmen Beats - 61
  2. The Hard Men - 58

3. Bad Guy Robots from Mega Man - 55
  4. Blue Bomber Brotherhood - 46
  5. The Gentlemaster's Club - 45
  6. The Concrete Men - 43
  7. The Mega Ballers - 34
  8. The Beat Busters - 18
  9. Cold Steel - 16
  10. The Skull Men - 16
  11. Energy Tank - 13
  12. Dr. Light's Luminosity Legion - 8

Check the Roster and Scoreboard for round to round points.

For anyone interested in raw tallies, this is the sheet I'm using, graciously provided by SectorZ, with improvements made by myself.

Congratulations to all competitors for an incredible competition, and especially to the folks that came out on top!

Archive

The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011 [629 MB]

Past Competitions

The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011 - Final Release

The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2010 - Final Release

The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2010 - Final Release

Submissions and File Name Rules

All remixers must PM me a link to their remix before the end of the round. Don't send it to me via AIM, don't email it to me, don't mail me a CD that you burned your mix on, don't call me up and play it for me on the phone. Upload it to a reliable file host and send me a PM with the link.

File names must be in the following format:

Team Name - Artist - Title (Robot Master in Wily Stage).mp3

For example:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword - Imitation System (Fake Man in Wily Castle 10-1).mp3

If one team member helps you with your entry in a significant way and you want to give him or her credit, add his or her name as follows:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword feat. OA - Imitation System (Fake Man in Wily Castle 10-1).mp3

If both team members help you with your entry in a significant way and you want to give them credit, add their names as follows:

Everlasting Peace - DarkeSword feat. OA & DragonAvenger - Imitation System (Fake Man in Wily Castle 10-1).mp3

Notes:

• I will tell you exactly what you need to write for the Wily Stage part of the file name every week.
  • Robot Master names are two words. Centaur Man, not Centaurman.
  • Team names, Robot Master names, and Wily Stages need to be capitalized properly. Artist names and remix titles can be whatever case you want.
  • Put spaces on both sides of the hyphens between Team Name, Artist, and Title.

I am dead serious about file names guys. You need to make sure you follow the format exactly, because I use the file names to make sure that all the metadata is correct when I re-tag everything properly. It is a massive pain sitting there renaming, re-spacing, and reformatting so that everything works properly with mp3tag's file-name-to-tag tools, and ultimately it means that when you all do it right, I can get the music up for voting way faster.

If you or your team repeatedly submits remixes with bad file names, you will be disqualified from further rounds, I will award you no points, and may God have mercy on your souls.

Voting

Voting is conducted publicly in the social group. Every week, a thread will be created for the most recently completed round of remixing. Voters should post their top three remixes in the thread as follows:

1. first place vote
  2. second place vote
  3. third place vote

Competition participants should not place their own team's remix in their rankings, regardless of whether they remix for that round or not. However, by voting, they will earn a first place vote for their team's remix. If you are on a team, please post what team you are on in your vote so I can make sure your team gets your voting bonus.

Do not post reviews for remixes in the voting thread. Post reviews here in the main WCRG thread.

Please consider arrangement, production, and enjoyability when casting your votes.

FAQ

So do I just pick a Robot Master? Is it first-come-first-served?

I'll be doing a draft for Robot Master selection. If you're planning on participating, please post a list of five Robot Masters you're interested in claiming, in the order of preference. Choose any Robot Master from the following games:

• Mega Man 1-6 (NES)
  • Mega Man 7 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 8 (PSX/Saturn)
  • Mega Man 9-10 (DLC)
  • Mega Man and Bass (SNES/GBA)
  • Mega Man Powered Up (PSP)

Once everyone posts their lists, I'll go through and assign everyone their first-pick, resolving any conflicts with a coin-toss and moving down the lists as necessary. You will only be assigned one Robot Master for the competition. Every team member must post their own five picks.

Are you assigning teams or do we get to make our own?

I won't be assigning teams. Please feel free to form a team with your friends or artists that you already work well with.

Can we have team names?

Team names need to be Mega Man themed and rated E for Everyone; keep it clean, folks. Some examples of good team names: The Mega Man Killers, The Yellow Devils, Team Metool, ENERGY*TANK, etc. Stuff like that.

Wait, so we have to all collaborate every week on a remix?

Not at all. The whole idea is that each team member will take their turn at remixing. Collaboration is not required at all; in fact, I really want to avoid one single guy carrying the entire team every week throughout the competition. That's not how this is supposed to work, and I'm trusting everyone to play by the rules and make sure that the primary remixer is changing every round.

How many rounds are there?

I'm planning on running six rounds; possibly nine, with maybe some special rounds thrown in, depending on how the competition is going. Each round will be one week long, and because remixers are rotating every round, the rounds will run continuously, week to week; as soon as one round ends, the voting stage and the next round will start together.

Why are you doing this instead of another Grand Robot Master Remix Battle?

I wanted to try something new. This competition is a little different in that it's not a tournament. There is no elimination. If you're in it at the start, you're in it until the end, but at the same time, the schedule is not as grueling because team members will rotate as the primary remixers. I think a team based competition will be pretty fun, and while it might yield less music overall, I think the quality will still be pretty high. Plus people like the Wily Castle themes, so I figured it would be nice to do something with that.

I'm not a remixer but I want to take part somehow. What can I do to help?

We need sigs and artwork and stuff, so if you're good with The Photoshop, that'd be a big help. Also spread the word and let the internet know what's going on.

While I'm here, I've worked out a list. First of all, a bit of lulz from discussing the whole thing with Shariq and Will 2 weeks ago:

01[20:25] <+Rexy> you know, just for irony, if I'm still sneezing like hell by the time the compo starts I know exactly WHAT robot master I'd be picking:

01[20:25] <+Rexy> cold man

06[20:26] * +Rexy rimshots

Although, I'm feeling a little better now so that's out of the question. :razz: Anyway, my five from highest priority downwards:

1 - Plant Man [MM6]

2 - Magma Man [MM9]

3 - Top Man [MM3]

4 - Wood Man [MM2]

5 - Guts Man [MM1]

I'm going to take a couple of weeks off before I start my next competition. Grand Maverick Remix Battle will be pushed off a bit to make room for what I have planned for the fall. It's a bit of a different format and may possibly yield less music overall, but I think it'll be really fun for a lot of people.

Rest assured, I will be doing another GMRB; if not this year, then very early next year (think January).

I'm assuming that this is "what [you] [had] planned for the fall"? As awesome as this is going to be, are we still going to have the Maverick battle?

I'm assuming that this is "what [you] [had] planned for the fall"? As awesome as this is going to be, are we still going to have the Maverick battle?

Yes, GMRB will be a few weeks after this competition is done (probably in January/February-ish), and there'll be another GRMRB next year as well (Summer-ish). If this works out, we'll do another WCRG too next year.

So it says our Robot Masters must be picked by Saturday, October 22nd. Does that mean the competition will be starting the week of the 23rd, or will it be the week after? I'll be out of town a few days the week of Oct. 23, so I'm just thinking logistics. Thanks Darke.

No, it will probably start a week after or so. Not sure yet.