Old 04-09-2006, 10:30 PM

While the source material is certainly catchy and nostalgic, I can't help but think those are the main reasons this piece was accepted. There really wasn't much of a deviation from the original.

Although the rhythm guitar(s) were right on, as far as the lead is concerned, I heard quite a few dead notes (one totally missed at 2:04), and more poorly articulated (hit too soft/hard) notes than I would have liked. Rhythmically, some notes were lagging, too.

As the contributor pointed out, it does have a "two takes and record" feel to it. Some may call that "charming", but it seems awfully strange to me for it to have been accepted. I have heard rejected works that clearly invested far more time and effort than this.

As a guitarist, I can safely vouch for his skills, but the performance could have easily been cleaned up with more takes. I'm surprised the judges did not ask for a resubmission.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
James Russell
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

While it may lack the level of production of other pieces, this is actually lends more the the Django Reinhardt comparison. It's a sweet little tune and well played. It certainly deserves the exposure it's getting, but I must confess that it just feels a little too much like a novelty piece.

I mean, the fretwork is great; hell, the overall performance is well done and sounds very natural. In some ways, it embodies the essence of the majority of "cover" songs: they are interesting because they sound different, and we like them because they offer a fresh perspective of the sound, but they do not necessarily offer a fresh interpretation of that sound.

It's like the difference between two covers of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower:

You've got Dylan's source tune, which is very folksy. But the cover that always stands out is Hendrix's kick-ass rockfest guitar-orgy. It's not a novelty cover, it's a complete redux of the entire piece, from sound to silence, Hendrix took Dylan's piece and turned it on its ear, then gently lit it on fire for all the world to see (and hear). It is a piece transformed, so much so that many people don't even realize that it was originally a Bod Dylan song.

Now take the latest cover of the song, recently played in a trailer for Tom Clancy's GRAW. It's a cover, not of the Dylan piece, but of Hendrix's cover. It was performed by several notable rock musicians (Everlast – vocals; Billy Gould (Faith No More) – bass; Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory, Killing Zone) – drums; Doug Carrion (Kottonmouth Kings, Dag Nasty) – guitar; Russell Ali (Kamana/Killing Zone - local LA bands) – guitar.). No one can decry it as poorly done, and it does add a bit of a contemporary edge to the Hendrix version, but it is ultimately a novelty piece, and will not remain fixed in anybody's permanent memory (possibly not even the performers').

That's how I see this ReMix. It's well done, and I enjoyed it, but it is not utterly remarkable.

This is not a bad thing, it is just a thing.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to monkeybutt
love it! instant classic as far as my music library goes. great job
Old 04-24-2006, 04:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to SirLouie Send a message via MSN to SirLouie
Arrested Development?

I enjoyed this song - very simple, very "human." It reminded me of some of the David Schwartz songs used in the TV show Arrested Development.

The song might have benefited from a little more layering, and I would have loved to hear a "battle" of sorts between either two lead plucking guitars or perhaps the existing guitar with another instrument (a clarinet, perhaps).

Nonetheless, it is a good, fun song. Me like.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Abobo (+600)

All I can say, is this song is fucking awesome

GG on this mix!

I pwn all the noobs, well at least some of them...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 AM

This is pretty amazing, got it queued up along with Django and Joao. Very laid back, very cool, not too many things going on, and will get boring if you listen to it too often, but it is what it is. Get it while its hot! This is the first great SMB2 remix since Estradasphere's (this doesn't top that though...I don't think any SMB2 remix could).
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCovaHart
Although the rhythm guitar(s) were right on, as far as the lead is concerned, I heard quite a few dead notes (one totally missed at 2:04), and more poorly articulated (hit too soft/hard) notes than I would have liked. Rhythmically, some notes were lagging, too.

As the contributor pointed out, it does have a "two takes and record" feel to it. Some may call that "charming", but it seems awfully strange to me for it to have been accepted. I have heard rejected works that clearly invested far more time and effort than this.

As a guitarist, I can safely vouch for his skills, but the performance could have easily been cleaned up with more takes. I'm surprised the judges did not ask for a resubmission.
Sorry for quoting all of that but I felt it was needed.

Ummm ever heard of humanising? Personally I think that the fact that it was clearly preformed live and had a few minor mistakes added to the quality of the song. Gives the impression of a very laid back tune which you could play on a summer’s day outside the front of a house in hillbilly country. Frankly if this was done on computer even with humanising effects it would sound no where near as good and would lose all of its quality and style. I want to get some tabs or sheet music and learn it myself, good job :D
Old 05-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Goomba (+100)

Send a message via AIM to Goten X Send a message via MSN to Goten X Send a message via Yahoo to Goten X Send a message via Skype™ to Goten X
I really liked this piece. I can't say I'm a fan of gypsy jazz (I listen to mostly contemporary or classic), but I liked the guitar in this a whole lot. I just wish I could play the guitar as good as that. ;_;

|GX
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terium Send a message via MSN to Terium
Simple and groovy. Not too much to say otherwise. It's creative and cheery.

Prooves that simple can still triumph.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Nothing like a sunny afternoon...

As musical layman from the technical point of view, all i can say is this music is fantastic. Laid back and perfect for relaxing, simple yet with personality. Congrats on a job well done ^^

Tags
acoustic-guitar, live-recording, solo