ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Ad G, Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Rozovian Send a message via MSN to Rozovian
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboKa View Post
So...many varied opinions...ug. Transitional issues and some of the original notation problems will be the most troublesome to tackle.

*sigh* Looks like I'm going to need to patternize this entire thing instead of just using a single pattern - old habits die hard =p
Wouldn't it be easier to not patternize it in this case? If you have the entire thing in the same pattern, you should have an easier time working on transitions as both parts are in the same pattern... you see them both, and can more easily write overlapping fills and frills and stuff.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozovian View Post
Careful, those kinds of statements just lead to disappointments a la "but someone on the feedback board said it'd get a yes". Now you know.
I'm sure anything with "I like it" or similar would lead to disappointment if it didn't get Yes votes by the judges. I just hope most people have the sense to realize I'm not a judge.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Alex Shtokalko
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via MSN to HoboKa Send a message via Skype™ to HoboKa
Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier to not patternize it in this case? If you have the entire thing in the same pattern, you should have an easier time working on transitions as both parts are in the same pattern... you see them both, and can more easily write overlapping fills and frills and stuff.
Maybe, I guess - maybe I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed here. Asking for feedback seems to be a double-edged blade for me sometimes haha.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Alex Shtokalko
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM* View Post
I'm sure anything with "I like it" or similar would lead to disappointment if it didn't get Yes votes by the judges. I just hope most people have the sense to realize I'm not a judge.
It's cool bro - thanks for your nice feedback.

The J's aren't gods, despite that some ppl seem to like to throw them atop a totem pole and worship them so - nevertheless, I intend to submit this track eventually, so all feedback is good

(and Rozo you don't need to baby us lol)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Ad G, Workshop Moderator, Songs of Light and Darkness Director
Mother Brain (+4000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Rozovian Send a message via MSN to Rozovian
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboKa View Post
(and Rozo you don't need to baby us lol)
Your skin is thick enough, dude (how else are you still here?), I'm more concerned with newbs and how they'll take their first rejection. It's best if they have a realistic idea of what to expect from subbing, which random yeses on here isn't.

KM*, it's great that you're giving feedback around here. :D Keep it up. Just don't get into a habit of using yes as a verb here. Even if they know you're not a judge, they might interpret your personal yes as an assessment of how the track would fare on the panel. The workshop mods aren't judges either, which the mod FAQ also points out. Let's just avoid that misunderstanding.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

Quote:
KM*, it's great that you're giving feedback around here. :D Keep it up. Just don't get into a habit of using yes as a verb here. Even if they know you're not a judge, they might interpret your personal yes as an assessment of how the track would fare on the panel. The workshop mods aren't judges either, which the mod FAQ also points out. Let's just avoid that misunderstanding.
Of course. I'll keep my yeses to a minimum.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Alex Shtokalko
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Update 3.5

http://www.mediafire.com/?60rw96ptjl66p39
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Red Mage (+400)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Hokay, so, let's have a listen!

Sounds smoother overall, but there are still some rough edges that need ironing out on the production side. Still not too convinced about those bells at the start, sorry! They just sound a little exposed as they are. Some more reverb or less bitcrushing, or a different method of distortion could work better. The choir at the end could do with a longer release, as it stops abruptly (easy fix). The bass from the organ (did you add a high-cut filter?) is quite loud, I just did a frequency analysis in Audacity and it looks like it's around 500Hz. There's a gaping hole in the spectrum for the rest of the song though after the organ disappears, that could probably be filled by something else, maybe a return of the organ, or some other pad. The bass lacks a lot of power - is the kick overwhelming it? Try and boost the frequency of the kick at around 100Hz and cut it from the bass at 100Hz if it's being troublesome.

Other than that, I love the new melodies you've incorporated, and the soundscape works well - it's got a very floaty, uplifting feel to it. Keep working at it!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Alex Shtokalko
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSim View Post
Hokay, so, let's have a listen!

Sounds smoother overall, but there are still some rough edges that need ironing out on the production side. Still not too convinced about those bells at the start, sorry! They just sound a little exposed as they are. Some more reverb or less bitcrushing, or a different method of distortion could work better. The choir at the end could do with a longer release, as it stops abruptly (easy fix). The bass from the organ (did you add a high-cut filter?) is quite loud, I just did a frequency analysis in Audacity and it looks like it's around 500Hz. There's a gaping hole in the spectrum for the rest of the song though after the organ disappears, that could probably be filled by something else, maybe a return of the organ, or some other pad. The bass lacks a lot of power - is the kick overwhelming it? Try and boost the frequency of the kick at around 100Hz and cut it from the bass at 100Hz if it's being troublesome.

Other than that, I love the new melodies you've incorporated, and the soundscape works well - it's got a very floaty, uplifting feel to it. Keep working at it!
Okay, I'll go see what I can do with those things you've pointed out. Thanks for your continued feedback

Last edited by HoboKa; 01-05-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: said feedfack instead of feedback lol
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Chris
Dan Hibiki (+50)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

objection: the bitcrushed bell things in the intro are super rad and you should keep them.
however, there's another synth in there that sounds really dissonant/off-key as it slowly rises.
either toss that or make it increase pitch smoothly (instead of in steps) (if this makes any sense)

</2 cents>