Submission Standards Changes & New Encodings!

djpretzel

As highlighted in the writeup for http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02388/, we have revised our Submission Standards, effective immediately.

1. You can compare the Wiki versions to see exactly what changed.
  2. We are still working on making the above changes to the translated versions of the standards.
  3. We have added an information page on Encoding Guidance if you need help/advice on encoding your music.
  4. We will be contacting artists in the future about getting improved encodings of mixes already on the site, especially for tracks that suffered in quality due to length in order to meet size restrictions.

5. Quick highlights:
    • 192kbps was previously the maximum bitrate; it is now the minimum, of two options.
    • In addition to 192kbps (CBR/ABR), the only other option is VBR1, which is higher quality.
    • We have eliminated the file size limit; we strongly recommend submissions between 2 and 7 minutes in length.

Let us know what you think, but do read the mixpost in addition to this announcement for the full description of this revision & our thought process behind it!

Thanks,

djpretzel

I actually don't see it as a big deal to tell the truth. The default quality is... acceptable. If I want higher, I can usually find it on the artist's website. If not, I've never been turned down after asking the artist directly for an HQ version. Did that a couple times.

Heck, artists have given me their project files and samples every time I've asked XD

Unsealed can be obtained on CarboHydroM's website in a OGG format So why would it need to be uploaded here?

Quite a few of his songs can be obtained in OGG from his site.

Also, this nearly 12-minute long song was a BIIIIGG exception, as outlined in the mixpost djp linked right at the top. I don't think they'll even take a look at anything past 12 minutes. Which means Unsealed, Crystal Flash, and Grant Henry's Flesh Crystal are definitely out of the question.

And plus, just because something isn't posted on OCR doesn't make it any less awesome.

Quite a few of his songs can be obtained in OGG from his site.

Also, this nearly 12-minute long song was a BIIIIGG exception, as outlined in the mixpost djp linked right at the top. I don't think they'll even take a look at anything past 12 minutes. Which means Unsealed, Crystal Flash, and Grant Henry's Flesh Crystal are definitely out of the question.

And plus, just because something isn't posted on OCR doesn't make it any less awesome.

Why wouldn't we look at them?

You're not speaking for the staff. :lol:

I thought Virt had issues with the site years and years ago, hence why vgmix was originally created

He did, but his two posts in 2010 showed that he was cool with sending stuff in if he felt desired to. :)

Anyway, let me throw a question in here - it's definitely taking effect for tracks to be submitted from this point on, but what about tracks that are pending to be posted? Is it possible for the mixers behind those tracks to send higher quality versions over, and if so, where would be the best place to do it?

YES! Where is CarboHydroM?! Post that
....NOW!!!

Unsealed would likely be rejected on the grounds that it's a medley and not a cohesive track. OCR is stringent on that front. It's length wouldn't hold it back, on it's own, though.

Originally posted by Mirby

The reason DjP was questionable with tracks longer than 7 minutes is because long tracks have a very difficult time not sounding repetitive, not sounding like a medley AND sticking close enough to the source(s) to remain within the submission standards. If there is a song that's long, not repetitive, sounds like a cohesive, single entity (and not like multiple songs put together) AND the source is recognizable then given that it's production was up to par it would likely be passed.

Anyway, let me throw a question in here - it's definitely taking effect for tracks to be submitted from this point on, but what about tracks that are pending to be posted? Is it possible for the mixers behind those tracks to send higher quality versions over, and if so, where would be the best place to do it?

Larry. Send! WAVs/FLACs fine too for any and all mixes. There cannot be production changes, it has to be the exact same version as what's posted on OC ReMix if it's already posted. :-)

The new standards were totally made in support of prog rock, right? Have you posted about it on TheShizz yet, Larry? Are you guys excited about receiving your first 30 minute prog rock piece or are you dreading that day? There's probably a fair deal of people who could make something like this:

and sub it to OCR. >:]

Also just to add, maybe I am the only idiot who didn't care that much about his FILE quality, I always just bounced out a 192kbps mp3. I don't even know what VBR1 is...

The new standards were totally made in support of prog rock, right? Have you posted about it on TheShizz yet, Larry? Are you guys excited about receiving your first 30 minute prog rock piece or are you dreading that day? There's probably a fair deal of people who could make something like this:
and sub it to OCR. >:]

Also just to add, maybe I am the only idiot who didn't care that much about his FILE quality, I always just bounced out a 192kbps mp3. I don't even know what VBR1 is...

2. We strongly recommend submissions between 2 and 7 minutes in length.

• Anything longer and evaluation may be delayed.

Considering the time it takes to judge a normal track to be acceptable based on source usage and arrangement, the amount of time it would take to do something longer than 7 minutes would likely exponentially increase time to judge.

The whole idea is that the site is less restricted by cost of data hosting and transfer now, which opens up the quality and length standards to what we now have it set to. If you're going to submit a song that's as long as a Simpson's episode, you should be prepared to wait, possibly.

• 2 months later...

If you're going to submit a song that's as long as a Simpson's episode, you should be prepared to wait, possibly.

Woah I totally missed this response before.. Good point. I don't think waiting is that big of an issue at this point, hahaha. I've still got songs from like 2010 waiting to be posted. ;-)

Hopefully when the time comes, the source usage will be mapped out appropriately and it won't be too difficult on the judges. Extra care should be taken on the artist's part to make sure it's not a pain by mapping stuff out. :twisted:

• 3 months later...