Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Pascal Jetté
Kraid (+1200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

On-Disc DLC

I don't understand what the big deal is about on-disc DLC. Why are people so angry about this ?

To me, on-disc DLC is just a more convenient way for companies to prepare for DLC launch. For example, if a character is to be available for future DLC in a fighting game, everyone has to have the model since the only info that is being transmitted between players is input data.

So, if a company wants to release the character, they either have to:
1) have it already on disc
2) make a patch that everyone has to download to play online (does not unlock the character but provides the data for its model)
3) disallow this character against people who do not have the DLC

1 is clearly the most convenient for everybody. Would people prefer if companies intentionally stripped this content from the disc and offer it as a patch that would need to be unlocked anyways ? Why is that a disgusting business practice ?

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Andy Shoop
Bad Dude (+500)

The issue is that DLC is supposed to be content to improve gameplay in addition to the games complete data and keep entertaining after release.

It had been just an exaggeration until now, but there are literally taking aspects out of the game and calling them "DLC".

There is no reasonable explanation for this. Either just make them unlockable characters or don't take the easier route so they can at least protect their scheme they call 'marketing'.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

I guess I fail to understand what "on-disc DLC" is supposed to be. To me, it means something like Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition's inclusion of the extra characters and other bonuses on the disc. Or, perhaps, stuff like the Dreamcast Collection and the Capcom Digital Collection: packages which consist primarily/exclusively of content that was previously available on download services.

EDIT: I don't yet have MKKE so I do not know if it is like that, or if it's instead like the Borderlands GotYE where you get the extra content by redeeming included codes.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will flame the f*** out of me. Flame Shield ON!

Anyway, one of the biggest reasons people get upset over an idea like this is envy. It's a disgusting business practice because someone else thought of it first.

Flame Shield ENHANCE!!

Last edited by Jax Mandrake; 03-06-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Cain McCormack, Judge, Worlds Apart Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

If they have features ready for release enough to put them on the disc, I fail to see how it is anything other then a douche move to deny access to it.

I hate DLC as it is, mainly because it's ridiculously overpriced. Think about what you're paying for:

COD MW 2 £40
All of the work that goes into the engine/graphics/animation/audio/weapons etc
10 hours of single player
25 Co-op missions
16 maps

Stimulis Package £10
5 maps
crap all else

You're just not getting your money's worth, so if I found out today that that shit was on the disc when I bought it, I would go mental.

Last edited by Fishy; 03-06-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Stevo, OverClocked After Dark Host, Lucid Dreaming Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Level 99 Send a message via Skype™ to Level 99
On-Disc DLC is the closest thing our industry has come to an oxymoron.

DLC = DownLoadable Content.

On-Disc = not downloadable

If you put something on the disc and the only thing you're downloading is an unlock code for said content, that's not downloadable content.

The idea behind DLC goes back to the days of Patches and Mods from PC Gaming. Until the widespread availability of broadband AND large enough rewritable content storage built into them, modern consoles had no way to really update a game after relase to either add things or make fixes. Normally, a different hardcopy of the game would be released if it was fully warranted. PC Games, by way of being the pioneering format for the internet, have had the ability to be patched, upgraded, and modded since the early 90's. You could simply release some files and only have to pay for the bandwidth that people use to download them and BAM instant upgrades.

Due to how locked down consoles are with security countermeasures, and the amount of control exercised by the console's respective online marketplaces, its not nearly as easy to release content or patches but at least now the services are on par with what is available for PC. However, publishers have found people so overly willing to pay to keep their games usable and relevant for longer (considering the vastly increased prices of game creation and marketing these days) by releasing DLC for it.

Some DLC is very good. Some DLC is very bad. The point is that DLC is normally content that is not available on the disc at time of release that you have to pay for or download to get.

Why On-Disc DLC is considered disgusting by many is that it is an extremely shameless nickel-and-diming scheme to get you to pay more money to get everything on the disc that you bought available to you. Pardon the phrase, but back in my day, we either had to PLAY to unlock stuff or had to enter cheat codes.

So, anything on the disc that's locked that requires me to pay extra money to unclock it is technically NOT DLC. It's ODLC: On-Disc Locked Content. Examples of this would be me buying a fighting game and then charging me money to unlock all the characters. If the characters weren't on the disc in the first place, then I would pay money for them. But when I buy a game, I think I'm buying everything on there open to me should I try hard enough to get it. When I pay for DLC, I'm choosing to pay for extra development time that was spent that couldn't or wasn't put into the initial release.

People like me get upset because this is technically ripping people off. I don't even see it as being convenient to anyone but the publisher. The developers had to work hard to get the content done regardless, and if it is on-disc they had to work hard before the game was released. And to get On-Disc DLC, you still need to go online on your system and buy it. No excuse there.

"Here you go, sir. Your cheeseburger with fries and a drink for $12.99. Oh, by the way, the drink comes with the combo, and it's on your table, but you have to pay me an extra five dollars on top of the $12.99 in order to drink it. It's On-Table DLC."

Last edited by Level 99; 03-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Nathan Armstrong
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

The basic problem people have with on-disc DLC: The content is already on the disc, so why do the consumers still get charged extra to be able to use it? This follows the line of thought that DLC should be used for post-release expansion only. If the content is available at release, there should be no reason to withhold it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Stevo!
DOUBLE EDIT: And Fishy!!

>>| SoundCloud |<<
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Stevo, OverClocked After Dark Host, Lucid Dreaming Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Level 99 Send a message via Skype™ to Level 99
The ire that people are drawing from the SF X T current event is that characters are on every version of the game, but only come unlocked on a specific version. This also boils down to the idea that console-exclusive content still sells systems, which is so unbelievably flawed these days that I don't even know where to begin dismantling it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 99 View Post
The ire that people are drawing from the SF X T current event is that characters are on every version of the game, but only come unlocked on a specific version. This also boils down to the idea that console-exclusive content still sells systems, which is so unbelievably flawed these days that I don't even know where to begin dismantling it.
I don't think you actually can dismantle it. Plenty of people who have multiple consoles decide which version of a game to buy based on little exclusives.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Zach
Luigi (+2000)

I'm with OP and don't really see a huge issue. You don't have to buy DLC/unlockables. So then, just don't buy it. On-disc content makes file downloads like 99% smaller, which I'm all for. A line is only crossed if the content itself is something imperative to success in the game, and publishers don't do that. Some bad MMO companies do, but that's all I've personally seen.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
I'm with OP and don't really see a huge issue. You don't have to buy DLC/unlockables. So then, just don't buy it. On-disc content makes file downloads like 99% smaller, which I'm all for. A line is only crossed if the content itself is something imperative to success in the game, and publishers don't do that. Some bad MMO companies do, but that's all I've personally seen.
So you don't have a problem buying a game with content completed and on-disc and not being allowed access to all that content that you already paid for? Post-production DLC makes sense to me, in that, after the game is completed, the company kept working on it. They're asking me to pay them money to receive stuff they made after the original game I purchased was finished. I'm okay with that, because I'm buying additional content that extends the life of my game (if said content is worth the price, naturally). This content is already on the disc. It's already finished. By definition, that's not additional content, that's just content. You've paid for the disc it's on, so you've paid for that content. Basically they're charging you twice for a single product. I cannot understand how anyone can be okay with that.