ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Fernando Chorney
Little Mac (+900)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to DJ SymBiotiX Send a message via MSN to DJ SymBiotiX
it's funny to me because a company could technically complete a shit ton of DLC before a game goes gold, but hides it and releases it a while after the game comes out and all of you would be completely happy with it. The only difference here is that you know about it.

Also, this chart is somewhat relevant, while not 100% relevant to the on disc dlc thing. http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ei...g/original.png
(I hope you guys enjoy people losing jobs just so you can get content after the game comes out )

As a customer I want all companies to give everything they make for free. I don't care what goes on in the background. I don't care if/how they make money. I want it all for free. Those are my expectations, and it's their responsibility to meet those expectations, end of story.

Last edited by DJ SymBiotiX; 03-11-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Chris
Ghaleon (+2250)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ SymBiotiX View Post
it's funny to me because a company could technically complete a shit ton of DLC before a game goes gold, but hides it and releases it a while after the game comes out and all of you would be completely happy with it. The only difference here is that you know about it.

Also, this chart is somewhat relevant, while not 100% relevant to the on disc dlc thing. http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ei...g/original.png
(I hope you guys enjoy people losing jobs just so you can get content after the game comes out )

As a customer I want all companies to give everything they make for free. I don't care what goes on in the background. I don't care if/how they make money. I want it all for free. Those are my expectations, and it's their responsibility to meet those expectations, end of story.
Those are good points about dlc in general, but here's the thing

The great idea behind DLC is that you can expand upon the game with ideas that may come to you later, or release content later so that the game maintains an affordable price for the average consumer upon release. But if you purchase the disc, you should be entitled to all of the discs contents. That is the argument in a nutshell.

Personally I don't really care in the sense that I won't go broke by purchasing these 12 extra characters that are already present on the SFXT disc I have....but for shit sake why do I have to wait till the damn fall for them!?

Last edited by AngelCityOutlaw; 03-12-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Nice graphic but, citation? Anyone can make up a chart and when I see Gawker in the URL, I don't exactly have a lot of faith in the quality and/or validity of the information. I'm genuinely interested where it came from because an insiders perspective into this would be great.

And it's possible that a company could do that and I'd be okay with it, it's probably not an unheard of process. But the key to it being successful would be that the company would have to be incredibly prolific and efficient to produce that much content in the first place. Again, the issue isn't timing, it's about amount of content for the money we're being charged. If they produce a really bare-bones product for $60, then release more content for it a year later, I'm probably still going to be upset, but my complaint would probably be that they overcharged for the base product. If I later found out they had withheld content that could have been in the initial release, I'd be even more upset. Conversely, if I found out that, say, the DLC for Fallout 3 was completed along with the main game, I wouldn't be too upset, as that game earned its $60 paycheck. I still have a problem with the practice on principle (producing content and withholding it for more profit later is just a really dishonest practice and I will never be okay with it no matter how much you try to justify it), but there's "I don't like it, but it's not over the line" and there's "this is crap", and you seem to be having trouble seeing the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ SymBiotiX View Post
Reductio ad absurdum. Wanting something for free is not an expectation they should be meeting. But expecting a minimum of X amount of content (be that playtime, level caps, whathaveyou) for Y amount of money isn't unreasonable. I have a predecided limit of how much I'm willing to pay for what I consider a full gaming experience and if companies want my business, they should be trying to match that. I don't care if they make money, that's not part of my role, but I understand that profits are their main goal and try to set my expectations accordingly. If you want everything for free that's your choice, but they're never going to provide that to you so it's a stupid expectation to have.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Jude Alexander
Ganon (+8000)

all of you idiots need to either stop posting or respond to my fucking post because you're all talking about shit that I've already got goddamn covered
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Chris
Ghaleon (+2250)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
all of you idiots need to either stop posting or respond to my fucking post because you're all talking about shit that I've already got goddamn covered
Oh poor you, we should really pay more attention to what Bleck said.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Shariq Ansari, Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Hey, knock it off.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCityOutlaw View Post
Oh poor you, we should really pay more attention to what Bleck said.
Actually, we really should. He summed up my thoughts on the matter pretty succinctly.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Akuma (+1100)

Quote:
There is no rational reason for me to have to pay extra for stuff that is already sitting right there, ready to be used, because the company didn't do any extra work to produce it.
There is a completely rational reason. That's what the market will bear.

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Joe Griffith
Octorok (+200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Justice View Post
There is a completely rational reason. That's what the market will bear.
Only because people continue to be dumb enough to let companies continue down this route. If we just let them keep pushing, eventually we WILL be buying all games in chapters/levels.

It's perfectly natural that developers and their publishers will continue to do their best to push up game prices to try and make a greater profit, and as long as everyone continues to accept their growing use of DLC, we're going to be paying more and more to get the complete game.

In my opinion, DLC is only acceptible when it either introduces superficial changes after the game has gone gold (and nothing more can be added to the disc) or in the place of expansions for large content additions well after the game has released. When I say large content additions, I don't mean 4-5 maps and 6 short missions either. I'm not paying £10 just for five extra missions that add a little story and a new ending. If the game's "real" ending wasn't ready for release, you're doing it wrong.

Buy my latest album: Point L4