OCR02680 - *YES* Final Fantasy 11 'A Decent Challenge'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Tweek (would it be possible to change it to Tweex?)

User ID: 6829

Game: Final Fantasy XI (11)

Name of Arrangement: A Decent Challenge

Name of Song Arranged: Battle Theme

Composer: Naoshi Mizuta

Comments:

This is one of the songs from the "Land of Vana'diel" (www.landofvanadiel.com) project I recently released. This particular remix comes from the Battle Theme in Final Fantasy XI. The idea was to turn the song into an orchestral/rock track that packed a much bigger punch than the source did.

---------

Why did I know this would be you as soon as I saw the source tune? Did you show me this years ago or something? Awesome sauce either way.

This is DP material imo. A few slightly off samples (mainly the first bit of melody on the oboe?), and the fadeout ending is always a bit disappointing. Pretty damn solid everywhere else, reminds me of those Japanese orchestral versions you sometimes get with the rock drums and guitar.

YES

This mix creates a lot of space and tension. I love how delicately you crafted your buildup to the point where your track finally reaches full intensity. This is bombastic, extremely well-mixed, and dynamic.

The fadeout is definitely not an appropriate choice for this mix, though. I'm not nearly as anti-fadeout as a lot of judges, but in this case I'd agree that it just doesn't work. This track would have been much better with a proper, climactic ending, but I can forgive it since the rest of the material is rock-solid.

Good stuff!

YES

DAT DRAMA. I love how the track slow burns, and keeps inching the tension up, bit by bit, and then eases back in the midpoint, keeping it really moody. This sound is pretty much exactly what I think a 'classic final fantasy' sound is. I am a little surprised that Uematsu didn't compose this track, but Mizuta does a very convincing impression.

I really like the careful attention to detail in the auxiliary percussion rhythms that help drive the track, I think the dynamics are very effectively used, and I just about flipped the table when I heard that weaksauce fade out. Duuude :-(

Arrangement-wise this is definitely more of an expansion rather than a complete re-imagining, as it stays very similar in regards to overall structure, but with all the additions and the excellent feel added, it sounds a lot more dramatic and heroic than the original. The second half is excellent, and the pacing overall is great. Even breaking my heart via that fadeout, this is still an easy call for me.

Yes

Hope you submit more, I've missed hearing your stuff <3