"Cloudhopping" - Yoshi Touch and Go - by Chimpazilla & Timaeus

Chimpazilla

Cloudhopping - submitted version - by Chimpazilla and Timaeus

Cloudhopping - mod review

Cloudhopping - v1

Hello all! I've been playing this very addictive little DS game called "Yoshi Touch and Go," which has very catchy music. So a little over a week ago I wrote a few bars of the main theme and sent it to Timaeus for giggles. He liked it a lot and ran with it. As it turns out, we write rather well together! We think this turned out to be quite a fun mix, filled with variation, effects and surprises. Comments are welcome and requested. We will switch to mod review shortly.

There are three sources in this mix. They are somewhat intermingled. Timaeus has done an exhaustive workup of the source usage, extrapolated to three decimal places... and yes there is over 50% source... we will save that level of detail for the judges (unless anyone wants to see it!). Here's the short version, indicating the most recognizable passages:

- (main theme) 0:44 - 1:35, then 2:38 - 3:30 (with a lot of wild soloing!)

1:51 - 2:08

1:36 - 1:50

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T - You are a terrific collab partner. I really enjoyed making this mix with you. Looking forward to more!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source breakdown: The Gory Details!

All time skips are original sections.

Remix (0:15.486 - 0:18.023) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:06.703)

Remix (0:22.867 - 0:25.411) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:06.703)

Remix (0:30.259 - 0:32.796) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:06.703)

Remix (0:32.796 - 0:35.785) = Rankings & High Score (0:05.181 - 0:07.353)

Remix (0:45.253 - 0:57.241) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:14.644)

Remix (0:59.096 - 1:13.857) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:14.644)

Remix (1:13.858 - 1:36.015) = Flower Garden (0:26.663 - End)

Remix (1:39.249 - 1:50.559) = Rankings & High Score (0:05.181 - 0:10.393, 0:19.526 - End)

Remix (1:50.559 - 2:09.235) = Score Attack (0:05.989 - 0:22.673)

Remix (2:09.235 - 2:19.173) = Score Attack (0:07.688 - 0:17.060)

Remix (2:19.173 - 2:24.040) = Rankings & High Score (0:19.526 - End)

Remix (2:31.178 - 2:37.603) = Rankings & High Score (0:19.526 - End)

Remix (2:39.489 - 2:51.476) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:14.644)

Remix (2:54.251 - 2:55.629) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:06.703)

Remix (3:03.491 - 3:06.017) = Rankings & High Score (0:19.526 - End)

Remix (3:08.335 - 3:13.875) = Flower Garden (0:26.663 - 0:33.341)

Remix (3:23.101 - 3:30.486) = Flower Garden (0:37.244 - End)

Remix (3:45.949 - 3:48.377) = Flower Garden (0:05.991 - 0:06.703)

Remix ends completely at 4:04.280.

2.537 + 2.544 + 2.537 + 2.989 + 11.988 + 14.762 + 22.157 + 11.310 + 18.676 + 9.938 + 4.867 + 3.021 + 1.367 + 6.425 + 11.987 + 1.378 + 2.527 + 5.540 + 7.385 + 2.428 = 146.363 seconds

146.363/244.28 = 59.916%

If the little 1~3 second chunks weren't large enough to be included, then 51.185% (125.035 seconds). Who said playing it safe was a bad thing?

Very nice! The arrangement is fun and the mix sounds very clean, every instrument is easy to hear clearly. The synths are very cool!

I'm too lazy to check the sources but I recognized some sources from Yoshi's Island so I guess it's fine.

My only gripe is with one noise/glitch effect (used at 2:05-2:06 for example) that sounds a bit too loud and slightly unfitting.

I LOVE IT!!!

Yoshi Touch & Go has one of the most special places in my heart; I just adore the wonderful scenery and music. The synth solos especially feel like they just 'belong' and I *loved* that ode to the Rankings & High Scores theme. So beautiful.

I think I've found a new favorite remix :)

Thanks Cody! It's great to hear from someone who knows this game, maybe it is less obscure than I thought! I'm completely addicted to it, and you are so right about the scenery and music. The music was just crying out to be remixed! I'm so pleased that everyone seems to like it so much! :)

Nice :)

Just some minor nags

- the leads could be more in the mix - sound a bit too on top - but no loudness issue !

- the snare sounds could use more Batman

- those shaker like sounds coming at 1:00 fight with the rest as they "tickle" from right to left with delay and steal the mid spot of the song (at least on my end here I'm always fixating on them when they come in)

- that break section from 1:35 to 1:38 is still rattling - the connection is missing something

- bass harmonizing at 1:49 to 1:51 ??? seems somehow wrong

- 2:39 break fart could use some eq when sweeping up

- and give em drums some small ambience space to work in ;) they need more "overall fluff"

Nice :)

Just some minor nags

- the leads could be more in the mix - sound a bit too on top - but no loudness issue !

- the snare sounds could use more Batman

- those shaker like sounds coming at 1:00 fight with the rest as they "tickle" from right to left with delay and steal the mid spot of the song (at least on my end here I'm always fixating on them when they come in)

- that break section from 1:35 to 1:38 is still rattling - the connection is missing something

- 2:39 break fart could use some eq when sweeping up

- and give em drums some small ambience space to work in ;) they need more "overall fluff"

The leads were like that because I purposefully wanted to draw attention to the leads; they are, after all, leads. They might be a tad loud, but definitely not excessively.

No idea what 'batman' means.

I thought about the shakers when editing them and that's why I ended up lowering their mix balance after they were first put in; one of the things I never did mention.

The bass bell glissando couldn't really benefit from external EQ because it's sweeping the spectrum. Probably the only thing that could be done is reduce the internal mids a bit. Not sure what else you could mean.

I did add some room reverb, it's certainly enough without making the drums distant.

Really good stuff. All my crits are some very minor things that could make an already enjoyable piece just a little more polished and together.

I agree the leads starting at 00:45 (until it starts harmonizing), the first few seconds of 01:15, and the lead starting at 02:39 (and the next lead, continuing to 03:30) felt a little separate from the rest of the mix.

Yeah, they're kind of disruptive. Cool in every other way, but attention-hoggers.

It kind of sounds like a bassist trying just a little too hard and could keep it just a little bit simpler.. not sure if it was "wrong" harmonically, but it didn't sound like it was benefiting the piece as a whole. I do have to say I love the bass part overall, really good writing, busy and creative while keeping the groove tight. Good sound too!

I thought the drums could blend in a bit more with the rest of the track, here and there they seem to pop out of the mix a little.

Love love love the bass groove. Great title too! (:

--Eino

Seriously PH? That's all you've got to say about this mix? I gotta look at your huge sig just to read that? And yeah, you've gotta be careful with Batman, it is possible to overdo it.

edit: Forgot to say wink, wink, hahahehe! ;-)

p.s. "Batman" in this context means snare thwap.

Hahaha, I'll be back. I just went through the entire Sonic CD subforum a couple days ago doing my staffly duties, critting everything up there... So forgive me for being a bit burnt out atm. On a cursory listen though, sounds pretty good guys :D I figure I might as well wait for an update, I sense one's not too far off

We are now ready for mod review!

Cloudhopping - mod review

We have tamed the bass playing somewhat during the breakdown sections. We've tamed the main lead sound, as well as the "percolator" (that pingpongy thing) a little bit. We both felt the drums were already pretty good... although T did add a touch of Batman to the snare. ;-)

The full source breakdown has now been added in the OP.

Thanks again everyone for the great crits, especially anterroir and evktalo.

MOD REVIEW:

Damn, you've got one sexy mix, here. The solos, the pacing, the production - it's all very tight.

The only thing I was afraid of before I listened to the sources (which I'm not familiar with) was that it'd be too conservative because of how tight and fitting it sounded, but apparently you have more than enough variation. That 50/50 'rule' is just a rule of thumb, really - it's more about making it feel like the original than anything, and you've got that feeling nailed on this one.

I'd say this is an easy pass, if you submit it. Nice, nice work on this one, guys!

The bass + clap was kind of distracting for me at the beginning before the meatier lead comes in, which is kind of a shame because there's some cool stuff that gets pushed back because of it (particularly the melodic sine part). However, I've never really been much for that kind of thing (in general, claps just sound really cheesy to me, especially paired with 4-on-the-floor kick drum parts), so I suppose it might be more of a personal preference... Once the other stuff gets going and there's more to grab your attention, I didn't notice it as much. Sweet lead work.

At 0:55, that lead note just ends really abruptly, and it feels very awkward imo.

Other than that though, I don't really have much. Plenty of Batman on the ol' snare there, everything gels together really well, and as Gario said, as long as you're good on source you're probably good to go. Timaeus, I remember commenting on a Castlevania track you had up a couple of summers ago; you've improved a ton, keep it up (chimpo, haven't heard much from you until recently, so I'm not too familiar with your stuff but.. yeah, uh, sounds good, keep it up :D )

The bass + clap was kind of distracting for me at the beginning before the meatier lead comes in, which is kind of a shame because there's some cool stuff that gets pushed back because of it (particularly the melodic sine part). However, I've never really been much for that kind of thing (in general, claps just sound really cheesy to me, especially paired with 4-on-the-floor kick drum parts), so I suppose it might be more of a personal preference... Once the other stuff gets going and there's more to grab your attention, I didn't notice it as much. Sweet lead work.

At 0:55, that lead note just ends really abruptly, and it feels very awkward imo.

Other than that though, I don't really have much. Plenty of Batman on the ol' snare there, everything gels together really well, and as Gario said, as long as you're good on source you're probably good to go. Timaeus, I remember commenting on a Castlevania track you had up a couple of summers ago; you've improved a ton, keep it up (chimpo, haven't heard much from you until recently, so I'm not too familiar with your stuff but.. yeah, uh, sounds good, keep it up :D )

A lot of the bass and drumwork was influenced by zircon's 'Daft Drafts', so all of that was purposeful. The sine lead was leading into the upfront saw lead, so it was a little quiet for a bit. Glad you didn't notice something super-specific that I notice every time (which no one else notices) and can't figure out why it happens.

I hear you on that remark about claps being cheesy. Sometimes they are, I get it, but in the case of this snare layering, it shouldn't be all that bad. Definitely the style I was going for here. The later unlayered claps are all chimpazilla. Eh, I still liked them being there. ;D

At 0:52, the lead ends early to show off the ambience and delay. :)

Thanks! Yeah, that Castlevania remix was one of my first remixes, but since then I've been designing my own sounds, and in Zebra in particular; all but about 3 or 4 patches in this remix were made just for this or taken from my Zebra soundbank. :D

@Chris: Batman apparently means thwap. I never heard it either before like 2 days ago.