OCR02831 - *YES* Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory 'The Friendly Shadows' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

original decision

Brent Wollman

Userid: 41181

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Arrangement title: The Friendly Shadows

Individual songs arranged: Kokubo Sosho Stealth, Kokubo Sosho Battle, Rutheless (Reprise)

Source Tracks:

Here is this one again. I made a lot of changes. It gets a little weird.

Source Breakdown:

0:00-0:06 Original

At 6 seconds, the main drum pattern comes in. this is predominant in the first song I linked. It's such a badass beat that I chose to base most of the mix on it.

0:18-0:24 Here the bass part from the first track (Kokubo Sosho Stealth) comes in. In the original it comes in right along with the drums.

0:24-0:30 This is the first half of the melody from the chorus in the first source track.

0:30-0:42 Bass part from Stealth

0:42-0:55 Here is the chorus melody again, completed this time.

0:55-1:12 Familiar drum and bass pattern...

1:12-1:37 The rhythmic percussive sound from the very beginning of the second tune I linked shows up pretty quiet and then at 1:12 it takes the stage. The chorus melody shows up again and plays a couple times.

1:37-1:52 A sample from the third linked track shows up behind that same bass/drum pattern from earlier.

2:52-2:16 The melody on the distorted bells here is from the part at exactly 2:17 in the third track I linked.

2:16-END A bunch of effects wankery on the main drum pattern from the first track.

Edited by djpretzel

YES! I did not expect to see this one make its way back to the panel but I'm extremely happy it did. I was one of the few in the YES camp initially, but looking back I can see how taking some of the other judges' suggestions into account has improved this arrangement. The distortion is reigned in a little bit, but you keep the insanity levels high with some very cool glitching and processing.

Source usage is applied in a lot of unconventional ways but it still feels cohesive to me. I'm heavily inclined to count the drum pattern as part of that, too, it was instantly recognizable to me after listening to the original.

Towards the end it starts to drag on for a long time without reprising any sort of melodic content, but I can appreciate your experimentation for what it's worth. Perhaps this would have been more succinct and better overall with some of the ending truncated, but overall I'm happy to sign off on this one. Good luck!

YES

Amon Tobin is a beast, but when I checked out the sources I was like "nah, you can't remix this stuff.." But I think I've been pleasantly surprised.

For the record, I don't think that a drum beat alone is adequate to be the lone source for an OCRemix. However, this track brings in other albeit minimal harmonic sources, to which the drum groove adds a bit of complimentary familiarity. I'm satisfied by the source usage here.

Aside from that semantic argument, this is obviously a really cool track, great processing, great atmosphere.

Plenty to like, and well-integrated source usage.

YES

Wow, I'm really impressed by the creativity here. You've taken a set of difficult sources and taken them in an interesting (though perhaps somewhat similar to the original) direction. I can hear the source connections throughout. Production is cleaner this time - though I'm not sure "clean" is the correct word here :).

Good stuff. Way to stick with it.

YES

wow, the atmosphere in this track is fucking awesome. never listened to the original submission, but I'm absolutely loving the experimental vibe. kinda reminds me of some of the stuff Sir Jordanius has been sending in. such crazy, intricate, interesting processing during the last quarter of the track, I can't get enough of it. :D real nice mix, I'm all over this.

YES