What was your first "good" composition?

For me, it was on Valentine's Day when I was around 14 years old. I made this rock thing that didn't suck. That's because it was a basic eight bar blues progression with a pentatonic melody. I showed it to the older girl I wrote it for and she told me that it sounded okay, but there was no way in hell she would ever go out with me. I then wrote another eight bar blues song about how "that woman done me wrong".

Do you recall the first time you made a piece of music where you thought, "Hey, this is pretty good/doesn't suck!" ?

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

The song was called, "Jazzy Blue Day". It was supposed to be my first blues song that would follow the 12 bar structure. I was at home on my keyboard, when I was trying to play angel island zone act 1, it struck me! I should just remix this song into jazz!

Ah... but it had to be original... I wanted it to be original. So I kept playing with the chord progression and some key notes looking for a tune until I finally found it! The absolute moment I heard myself play the keys correctly, the entire rest of the song followed. Except for the transitions, I suck with those.

I brought it to my piano teacher... "You realize that this isn't a 12 bar blues anymore, right? It's 16."

I didn't care, I wanted to work on this song right here. 2 weeks later, we finished it. Teacher said that I should copyright it immediately. (If I knew how to do that, I would)

BONUS: Several months later, I started playing it on the practice pianos in college.

In the middle of it, a random kid stormed in the room and asked, "Dude, what song is that from?!"

"Oh, I composed it myself!"

"What!? It sounded so good out there! Dude, you're going places, my name is Bryan!"

"My name is (Insert name)"

"Aww, man, it's stuck in my head! I gotta go, so I'll see you later!?"

That was my first random person who instantly became a fan! Woohoo!

https://soundcloud.com/halden-ryker/jazzy-blue-day

Edited by Dragonmind

It would probably be this one:

http://themacattack.net/music/Window.mp3

I've got plenty of other bits and pieces that I wrote before this, but this is probably the one an average listener could think 'this sounds complete and intentionally written that way'. It was written in 2002 or maybe early 2003, when I was studying baroque music in high school.

Writing this was mostly an exercise in one of my text books, following their guide to form. I modified it further, joining two separate ideas together into the one. Following their guide, I feel like I cheated a little bit, like I was 'composing by numbers', but I did like how the result sounded. A few years late I threw a couple of Soundfonts and reverb onto it, which you can hear here.

This is the 2nd complete tune I ever wrote, and I still love it, although the drums and production are booboo. Even back then on just my 2nd tune ever, I was exhibiting a lot of aspects of my future style. That's cool to me :P

Then I wrote a bunch of garbage for a long time til I wrote this Mega Man remix which also suffers from a lot of production issues but is still a very cool, listenable tune. Regardless, it's still one of my "level-up" tunes where I felt like I made huge strides with that track alone. That tends to be how I progress. I've always loved the weirdo bridge in the middle with the dance-y drums <3.

As for chiptunes, this was the first one I was really proud of. Friggin' C-jeff loved it. I think that's the first time I felt like a competent musician.

Edited by ectogemia

This, and mostly because of the riffs beginning at about 25% through rather than because I knew anything at all about how chords worked back then. I think in a lot of ways General MIDI helps you care more about the composition and arranging because production values are a lost cause anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still waiting for that song. :-?

I know how you feel dude :(

It might be a common perfectionist thing though, I always end up ragging on my own productions as time goes on. I always think it's good until I learn more then I just want to make something better.

There's also some irony in that I go back and get jealous of some jams where I actually made something cool without trying, but I can't do it when I try really hard today.

Do you recall the first time you made a piece of music where you thought, "Hey, this is pretty good/doesn't suck!" ?

HAH! ALL my compositions are "pretty good," puny mortal.

Okay, seriously.

I've done tons of Mega Man fan songs, but let's not count them... THIS is my first "legitimate" original, made just 6 months ago! This is when I really realized I could write completely original originals (not fan-compositions or nothin') and not just fall on my face.

Hey, but you might see a few Mega-styled originals from me around here anyways... ;-)

When I first started writing I was fiddling with MIDI compositions in Guitar Pro. It was probably around 2006 (so when I was 16) or so when I actually made something pretty decent, I forget what I called it. I had a lot of silly game-ish tracks with weird names. I'm sure I still have the project file for it, so maybe I'll revisit it some time.

When I first started writing I was fiddling with MIDI compositions in Guitar Pro. It was probably around 2006 (so when I was 16) or so when I actually made something pretty decent, I forget what I called it. I had a lot of silly game-ish tracks with weird names. I'm sure I still have the project file for it, so maybe I'll revisit it some time.

Good old Guitar Pro...

Hate GP6 though. 5 all the way

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off I'd like to say that it's very interesting to listen to everyone's music, their different styles and where they are coming from.

I like to think that this piece doesn't suck (very repetitive though). After that song, it was all a big roller coaster ride with some good and some ugly song making. I haven't been able to be consistent in song creation. Going back to listen to my music I realize that I have some "potent" ideas and that I have to work harder (a lot) to express them to a better extent.

Thanks for listening :razz:

• 2 weeks later...