OCR00263 - Sonic CD (JP) "Palmtree Panic"

m68030

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

the unbiased reviewer gives this selection a 8/10.

like the title implies, it is sometime one would hear at the beach. its a great upbeat and chipper mix which a nice layer of drum parts and a piano as well. the crowd cheers are also good as well. i think its a tad on the long side (4:39) , but its still very good. the strings that come in at 1:05 sound very midi-ish. it sounds just like the strings from my midi program. none the less, it is still an excellent mix. i will definitely listen to this over and over again.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I loved Sonic CD a lot and still do...I just wish my sega CD still worked... :( Anyway, this may be music from the Japanese soundtrack but I remember some of the music from the American version as well. The parts from the past version are the same as in the American version. I liked Palmtree Panic...and most of the game as well, I hope more people do great remixes like this one.

• 4 months later...

This remix sort of reminded me of the SPECIAL WORLD in Super Mario World for the Snes. I think it has something to do with the piano chords.....but whatever, that isn't the point. This remix is alright, but I think the only reason it sounds good is because of the original chords in the Sonc CD OST. The song does sound slightly low-fi at the beginning, but this is okay. Good job!

• 9 months later...

Well isn't this a lovely jam session, the piano playing fast and bright, some fast paced drums, waves crashing on top of the beach.......or are those cheers?

Doesn't really matter, the point is that this is an instrumental wonderpiece, delivered within 3 minutes and 47 seconds and just be enjoyed. The only bad point might be how bad the cheering sounds, but also how repetive it sounds, since there aren't any big varieties among the instruments used.

• 5 months later...

Nice, I've recently been listening to more of Joe Redifer's mixes and this is def sweet. Even though his mixes are from OCR's earlier days the sound quality stills holds up against alot of todays stuff which says alot. Def has the sweet island feel. Lots of nice composition on the piano and lil production values in the writing all over the place keep this one moving.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It has a good sound, but its really just cutting and pasting the Good Future and Past mixes of Palmtree Panic with some new instruments. Then again, I guess standards were much different back in 2001......

They definitely were. It's a really cool mix for its time, but the interpretation, in light of the source material, is really low. I did like the thick drum work in particular though. It really drives the track along well.

• 9 months later...

Kind of treble heavy, and pretty much the same as the original, there are a few touches that make it unique, but some things are really distracting, like how mechanical the shakers sound. There is all this cool piano stuff going on, and it's hard to focus because it sounds like the copier is broken again in the background. :-(

It's really too bad, because the rest of the drums are nice, and the piano section is fantastic.

One thing I noticed is that the drums sound off for the second half of the song. Kindof strange..

• 4 years later...

Whoa, mixing here sounds pretty messy - song also sounds overcompressed. It hurts the song greatly for me since there's a bunch of stuff going on and it makes them that much more distracting since some of it sounds blurred for lack of a better term.

The song is on the repetitive side too. The piano is nice, and the strings do their job, but the arrangement is static for the most part.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00263 - Sonic CD (JP) "Palmtree Panic"