Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Bad Dude (+500)

Send a message via AIM to OmegaDonut
It was kinda cool to see this review get back to the top of the list, especially seeing as Mythril Nazgul's own rap version of the same theme just got accepted by the judges' panel (congrats!). Nice indicator of how far ReMixes have come in terms of quality over the years. Anyway, it would be unfair of me (and also the wrong place) to compare the two, so as far as a review goes:

I think this mix would have a lot of merit if it, for one thing, didn't have so many annoying background noises, some of which sound like a TV was on full volume during the recording session. At first, I wanted to say the mix sounded cluttered, but on a second listening I realized it wasn't a bunch of instruments struggling for dominance, it was just all that background noise getting in the way.

Some sharper-sounding synths wouldn't hurt, either.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

The beats are clearly the strong point here, they are really good. I love the sound of the snare and the bass drum.
The sound effects and vocal clips I could really do without, they just seem annoying to me. I was worried that the simple source track would be grating, but it's actually pretty well transformed, with the main line slowed down and with the rhythm changed slightly; played by the bass. I'd even say it's an improvement over the original. There is too much random crap going on in the background though, and that makes the track a little harder to listen to repeatedly for me.
The synths are passable, nothing jumps out as being fantastic. Those beats are awesome though.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Deia Vengen, Judge, Unsung Heroes Asst. Director
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Most people who commented have it: beats are awesome, background noises are not. The voices don't seem to have a place in the track, whch is what gets people thinking they are extraneous.

Bass line is repetative, but that's alright. Generally fits this style of mix, though I'm a fan of having more variation myself. Easily something to start rapping over.

Not my thing, but for it's age it holds up pretty decently.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Wesley Cho, Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director
Sheng Long (+10000)

What the heck was with those voices?

This is a pretty weird song in terms of approach. It has an artsy feel to it that reminds me of trip hop, which is pretty refreshing to hear. I actually have to say I enjoy this song quite a bit, which is impressive considering this is song #12.

There are some rough areas in production, but this surprisingly holds up pretty well in comparison to most songs on the site around that time period and even further. I felt that the arrangement was a tad repetitive, and it could've used some more variation, but for a trip hoppish song, it isn't the worst thing in the world since it isn't super repetitive on all levels.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 AM

It has been years since I was here last. I felt obligated to register and give my two cents. This remix has been with me for a long time. Over the years it's been transferred from three PCs, a Mac, countless CDs and now my iPod. I've always had it mixed in with my regular stuff, which is metal (Carcass, Decapitated, Anata, etc) and I just love it. I lost the actual title and artist a while ago, and forgot what it was called and who made it, I just always knew it was a Paperboy remix. I've fixed that now :D

Waxing poetic aside, I just plain love this piece. This is the only mix on the site by these guys? That is a shame. I would love to hear more.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Link (+1900)

A little trip hop, and it's not bad. I wasn't fond of the voices, but it didn't detract from the ReMix too much on my end. Not amazing, but very good all in all.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:14 AM
Christian Norton

Send a message via AIM to dANGER boy Send a message via MSN to dANGER boy Send a message via Yahoo to dANGER boy Send a message via Skype™ to dANGER boy
I dig the voices! I think it sets the stage and adds to the tripiness of the arrangement. Brought a smile to my face. Killer beats and interpretation! Putting this one on my playlist.

Tags
funky, mellow, tempo-slow