Old 08-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Tim Bocek
Mega Man (+1000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via ICQ to orkybash Send a message via AIM to orkybash Send a message via MSN to orkybash Send a message via Yahoo to orkybash
OCR00731 - Crystalis 'Calming the Angry Sea'

Crystalis 'Calming the Angry Sea'

Though I never played crystalis, I *do* know that it is probably the most requested game (except, of course, Terranigma), and this remix should appease those requesting it, at least for a while. It's simple - guitars and seagulls - but it works well. I do have some beefs with it - Coulda used more reverb, for example. But overall it's well arranged, and well worth a download.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Red Mage (+400)

The fact that this remix is composed entirely of the guitar, paired with the seagulls and ocean waves, brings a sort of a reminiscence to the feel of the song. I've never played Crystalis, but I did like the song. It's simple but enjoyable, and definately worth the download, especially to fans of the game.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Dracula (+2750)

Send a message via AIM to Dev
All you non-Crystalis players should be ashamed of yourselves! :D Err, but anyways...a very nice song, composed of, well, guitars and seagulls, as said in the other reviews. This song is much slower than the original which makes it cool. Not much else to comment on...well arranged and recommended
Old 08-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

The confused/stuttering guitar playing got on my nerves, but the idea behind the mix is pretty phat. If the guitarist practices more often he might make some cool tunes.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:31 AM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Send a message via AIM to Sherv
This brings me back

I found Ryan8Bit's remix to be very well arranged. I especially enjoyed the fact that it has been slowed down considerably as compared to the original tune; this changes the frenetic pace of the this part in the game (your character is riding on a dolphin, fighting off octupi and mermen) into a much more relaxed and laid back mood. The use of nature sounds (seagulls and waves) helps set the mood as well, yet they are not used excessively and thus do not detract from the music. I know I'll be listening to this remix every day when I come home from work! :P
Old 08-06-2002, 04:19 AM
Ryan Stern
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Thanks for some of the complements, guys. I thought a general slowing down seemed to fit water better, although you are riding off into battle on the dolphin. The original tune is quite spastic, so I wanted to calm the angry sea, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
The confused/stuttering guitar playing got on my nerves, but the idea behind the mix is pretty phat. If the guitarist practices more often he might make some cool tunes.
Is there one part specifically where you noticed this? At 2 minutes the backup guitar goes off on a varied strumming them with offbeat triplets and such, is that what you mean? I've been playing guitar for ten years, so I have a pretty good grasp on things, but I'm interested in your input.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:48 AM
Steve Pordon
Ghaleon (+2250)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Damn fine remix. I get the feeling Roger hasn't heard much classical guitar music. Nice flamenco feel to this. In fact, the only thing that could improve it would be nylon strings, but I'm picky. :)

-steve
Old 08-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Snacks 'N Jaxson (+25)

*cracks knuckles* hmm, okay

Before going into any details, I just want to lay across my basic points - I don't feel a consistent tempo in this piece (leads and rythym tracks will slightly wander, etc) and there's just no consistent tone in the guitar playing either. Embellishments/trills/etc will either be barely audible or sound very fret fartish. While this isn't going on 100% of the time, it's going enough enough to make a glaring difference to me.

First, at :05. String/fret noise during arpeggiating. Not sure if it's not holding down the fret enough or right handed muting gone bad, but either way it don't sound purty. Again, you hear it at :09. The note doesn't end naturally, and sounds very strained/amateur. Whenever you change positions (I can tell by the fret slides), the tempo stutters a bit and loses its place slightly.

In terms of the part with the lead - the timing's pretty much okay, but there's more of a problem with tone now. I get a little nervous listening to it, since a lot of the notes will just sound like they're not played with confidence.

I can write a lot more if you want me to later on, but I have a cold and it's hard to sit up and think coherently write now (have a nasty flu of some kind).
Old 08-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Ryan Stern
Abobo (+600)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I actually did have a metronome going so I wouldn't lose the beat, and when I posted this in the WIP forum, no one seemed to think there should've been drums or anything (which probably would've given it more of that confident feel).

As for the opening, it's hard to hold out those last notes before you move on to the next one. Sometimes sliding is a sacrifice of the game. I've heard worse on some professional acoustic guitar CD's.

But thanks, I'll try and keep that confidence thing in mind while I work on my next mix.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
John Moser, Banned
Red Mage (+400)

This is an awesome mix. If you've heard the original and played the game, you know this is an awe-commanding movement by Ryan8bit. If not, though, or if you're a little short in the imagination and philosophy side, I'll explain.

(Note: these are my views and do not necessarilyreflect the mind of the remixer)

In the game Crystalis, the Angry Sea is a sea with an alter in the center of the western half. There is a HUGE waterfall, and ther are monsters and whirlpools everywhere. The Gold Statue was taken from the alter, and so of course "the gods are angry," as the saying goes. When you place the gold statue on the alter (you gotta find and fix it first), the whirlpool blocking any travelers' way is removed. Thus the sea is calmed.

The original music ( http://www.zophar.net/nsf Track 4 of the NSF unfortunately it cuts at the end of the loop) was intense (as much as it gets on the NES) and sounded angry. This remix compliments that mood, replacing it with total and complete serenity. Indeed, one may well expect "the gods" to go out of their way to ensure safe passage to all travelers.

The instruments are great, and the extramusical idea of calming is excellently portrayed. That, and it reminds me that the original Crytstalis had GREAT MUSIC (a true masterpiece), and the Gameboy version should be burned!