ReMix: Romancing SaGa 3 'Romancing the Bossa'
3,316,410 bytes, 3:23, 128kbps
Streaming preview on YouTube
Happy New Year! Last night at MAG was a rather surreal experience that included all of the following:
- Briefly singing (badly) the end of Music of My Groin on stage with the legend that is Shael Riley (and the Double Ice Backfire)
- Meeting a lot of West-coasters for the first time, including Neko, Ash, Mono, and Adhesive
- Geeking out with some dude about 8-bit games for at least ten minutes before I realized I was talking to Brental Floss
- Using a Hilton soap dish to try and pry open a Sam Adams because we didn't have a can opener (classy!)
- Being surrounded by DKC2 project folks and (literally) prodded to finish my tracks, which was made worse by Jake showing up and announcing he was done with his
- Shaking hands and achieving relative unawkwardness around (former?) troublemaker Protricity
- Having a general blast
Gotta get back to the convention so I'm in a bit of a rush, but I wanted to ensure we posted SOMETHING on the first of the year, to start things off right. Blad's just the man to do it - we chilled with him at Denny's during SGC "way back" in 2009, which was awesome. He writes:
"I wrote this piece for a Bad Dudes album based on boss battles. I found it via aimlessly searching the vgmusic.com page. The melody worked really nicely for me .. it was something that wasn't just shredder type boss music -- something I could enjoy humming. For the actual album, Mustin redid a lot of the samples as well as drums and some flute notes. Although I enjoyed what he did, I still like what I had originally a whole lot more.
I really like the energy I created with this one. I usually "like" my remixes, but this one just really gets me toe-tapping. Like many of my remixes, I start with a melancholy piano rendition of the theme and then lead into the rest, so I hope you're not tired of that stuff."
Not tired at all; our first ReMix from Romancing SaGa 3, this track is classic Blad: playful, musical, creative, and infectious. Many of you may have read the news that zircon has stepped down as a judge (for the time being, at least), so I'd like to openly thank him for his many years of making OCR a better place and selflessly providing feedback and great music, and also quote him:
"I love this track - I often try to play it by ear since it's just such an awesome take on the source! GREAT performance, great piano recording, great rhythms, excellent interpretation. My only complaint is that the flute sample doesn't sound so hot, and the transition to the fast section is definitely abrupt. However these issues aren't nearly enough to bring this below our bar. Awesome stuff, Blad!"
It's a tasty piano-driven latin jazz jam, it's a great arrangement, and it's a great way to get 2010 off and rolling!
- Crulex on July 18, 2012
- yosefu on January 29, 2010
- metalsnakejuice on January 29, 2010
- Martin Penwald on January 24, 2010
The main chunk of the first movement of the song, once the drums kick in, is awesome. Lots of layering and the lead being reinforced by the strings comes through without sounding cluttered. I wasn't a fan of the center-panned rim-tap, but that didn't stick around for too long and didn't greatly detract from the mix. It just stood out a little too much for me.
The second movement is great, once things pick up speed. It is here that the strings sound a little more fake-y, along with the flute. It still works for the song though, as it doesn't sound overly synthetic, and the accuracy of the rest of the instruments, especially the mixing and playing of the percussive instruments, more than compensates.
I'm not too familiar with the source tune, but coming at it from a song-solitary perspective, this is great. Well done!
- Level 99 on January 20, 2010
- Drake Dracoli on January 15, 2010
Great mix, how this one escaped me before now is beyond me :-P
- Emunator on January 12, 2010
Repetitions where repetitions are needed. The drum roll to symbol slap was a nice added touch as well. Adored how it picked up around 1:55ish. Very well put together, fun, giddy, happy, dance music from a less than renown game. A+ material in my book.
- Mini-Mal on January 7, 2010
Basically, this was an instant win for me, nicely done :) .
- jintoreedwine on January 7, 2010
Very strong stuff, and a great way to start off the new year. :-)
- OA on January 6, 2010
This song fits for some reason for the new year, which has this dancing feel to it - for some reason I get that vibe with blad's tracks in general. Definitely is a creative take on the source material, pretty much love it!
- Bahamut on January 6, 2010
- Otakatt on January 1, 2010
- ProjectSpam on January 1, 2010
- djpretzel on January 1, 2010