- 1 Emulation
- 2 Game Music
- 3 Gaming
- 4 Miscellaneous
- 5 ReMixing
- 5.1 Music Equipment/Software Manufacturer Websites
- 5.2 Music Theory, History & Terminology
- 5.3 Music-Making Magazines
- 5.4 Music-Making Software
- 5.5 Samples & Patches
- 6 Technology
- Emulation9 - Great, very quick Japanese emulation site.
- EmulationZone - One of the web's oldest and continuously running console emulation sites on the web!
- EmuUnlim.com - Large emulation news site with many hosted sites as well.
- MAMEWorld.net - The largest MAME resource on the net!
- NGEmu - Your Best Next-Gen Emulation Source.
- Retrogames - Your one-stop emulation source.
- Vintage Gaming Network - Formerly Dave's Video Game Classics. Relive favorite video games - large internet emulation archive! Emulate classics, recent arcade games, consoles, computers.
- Zophar's Domain - Massive emu news and well-maintained resources.
- Emulators @ OCR - Our sortable list of emulators, with links.
Game Music Arrangement Community
- AMIGAremix - A newer site dedicated to remixes of tunes from the Commodore Amiga platform.
- Dwelling of Duels - The popular monthly live performance arrangement competition.
- OverLooked ReMiX - OLR is the comedic offshoot and bastard stepcousin of OCR.
- Remix.Kwed.Org - The definitive guide to C64 MP3 remakes showcases SID remixes.
- Remix64 - The informational hub and gathering point of the Commodore arrangement scene.
- Remix:ThaSauce - R:TS has a relaxed quality control system in the attempt to showcase more music.
- VGMix - VGMix is part of a community of amateur musicians who write arrangements of video game music.
- VgPiano - A pianist's dream, VgPiano is newer hub focused on arranging in the 88 keys.
- Bound Together - Several areas of the community contributed to this EarthBound tribute.
- Chrono Symphonic - Designed to be the soundtrack for the long-desired Chrono Trigger movie.
- Hedgehog Heaven - A Sonic the Hedgehog 2 arrangement project.
- Kong in Concert - A Donkey Kong Country arrangement collaboration.
- Relics of the Chozo - A Super Metroid Musical Collaboration.
- Rise of the Star - a collection of remixes from the classic platformer, Kirby's Adventure.
- The American Album - Mazedude's album honors the often-overlooked American video game composers.
- The Dark Side of Phobos - The Dark Side of Phobos is a 23 track, two disc album with remixes of music from the original DooM game for the PC.
Bands / Performers
- Game Over - Fantastic Swedish metal video game cover band - did the great Punch-Out ReMix hosted here. Cool.
- Minibosses - One of the very first game cover bands, with a rock emphasis and some energetic material.
- NESkimos - Fun and irreverent video game cover band.
- Neskvartetten - Literally Sweden's NES quartet, they specialize in giving Zelda's music the jazzy treatment.
- Project X - The collaborative effort of two musical robots to record new versions of the classic soundtracks of Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.
- The Advantage - "8 BIT nintendo band - serious dudes that rock with good nintentions".
- Video Game Pianist - One of the first pianists to gain recognition and respect for performing video game music on the piano.
- XOC - Performing with almost any instrument or object within reach, XOC first gained notice with his Super Mario World cover album.
- C64Audio - C64Audio works with original composers and fan arrangers for its catalog of Commodore arrangement albums.
- OneUp Studios - OneUp was started in 2002 to arrange video game music with a new flavour and then license and sell those arrangements on CD.
- Project Majestic Mix - Great, professional-quality arrangements of Uematsu / Squaresoft music (by some familiar faces, too)
Game Music Composers
- Game Music Composers @ OCR - Our sortable list of game composers, with links where available.
- Rocketbaby - The Video Game and Anime Music Journal - good interviews.
Game Music Emulation (NSF, SPC, etc.)
- High Voltage SID Collection - The High Voltage SID Collection (HVSC) is a freeware hobby project which organises Commodore 64 music (also known as SID music) into an archive for both musicians and fans alike.
- Project AY - AY music files and players for Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum systems.
- SNESmusic.org - Your place for all SNES music needs.
- VORC - VORC is a news site for Video Game Music and Chiptunes in Japanese and English.
- Zophar's Game Music Archive - MASSIVE archive of Gameboy (GBS), NES (NSF), Genesis (GYM), SNES (SPC), Playstation (PSF) sound files and more.
Game Music in MIDI Format
- Videogame Music Archive - Video Game MIDI Music from NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, Genesis, Master System, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation, Turbo-Grafx 16, and more!
Game Music Industry / Organizations
- Game Audio Network Guild - The Game Audio Network Guild (G.A.N.G.) is a non-profit organization established to educate the masses in regards to interactive audio.
- Music 4 Games - News, Interviews, and Info regarding the Game Music Industry.
Game Music Radio Stations
Radio Stations that Play OC ReMixes
- VGDJ: The Official OverClocked ReMix Podcast - OC ReMix, podcast style, with hosts pixietricks and zircon - snippets of various tunes, reviews, and much more.
- ocremix at ormgas.com - Streaming OC ReMixes 24/7, it's the unofficial but otherwise endorsed spot for OC ReMix radio.
- VG Frequency - VG Frequency featured the artists of OverClocked ReMix and VGMix, which are the two most popular internet spots where musicians apply their talents to reinterpreting video game music in tons of different musical styles.
- 'ZRN: 'Zone Radio Network - An Internet radio network with various video game genres
- WARC 90.3 FM - Allegheny College's Music Listening Alternative
- WRUW-FM 91.1 - Cleveland's Most Eclectic Radio Station
- The Super Koopa Troopa Show - VGM meets NPR with this informative podcast.
- The Remixatorium - Who knows what you'll hear with DarkRadish's personal selections.
- Nitro Game Injection - Much like it sounds, this internet radio show focuses on rock and metal.
- Mystery Videogame Theater 3000 - My poor, neglected pet project - see bad games get the ripping they deserve.
- Penny Arcade - Best damn game-related comic strip ever :)
- Adrenaline Vault - Nice, stylized game news site.
- GameSpot - Console and PC Game News.
- IGN - Platform-specific gaming news, with multimedia previews and reviews.
- Magic Box - Great, simple gaming news with screenshots - one of my favorites.
- Anime News Network - Latest anime news / releases.
- Anime Web Turnpike - Mucho links to just about everything anime.
- AnimeNation - Life. Death. Anime In Between. Store, news, forums & more.
- AnimeOnDVD.com - Good reviews & news.
- Anime Lyrics (.com) - Your one-stop source for anime, J-pop and game lyrics.
- AnimeMusicVideos.org - Dedicated to the creation, discussion, and general enjoyment of fan-made anime music videos.
- AnimeRemix.org - Like ocremix for anime tunes - non-commercial remixes/arrangements of anime, including some tracks by familiar OC ReMixers.
- Seanbaby - Gary Coleman and MORE - Seanbaby has it ALL. Funniest site on the net? Could be.
- Harmony Central - The biggest, oldest, best online resource for musicians - awesome.
- K-v-R - The definitive site supporting open standard audio plugins (VST, DXi, AU, etc.)
Music Equipment/Software Manufacturer Websites
Access, Alesis, Cakewalk, Casio, Clavia (Nord), E-MU / Ensoniq, Emagic, Fender, Image-Line (FruityLoops), Kawai, Korg, Kurzweil, Lexicon, M-Audio, Mackie, MOTU, Native Instruments, Propellerhead Software, rgc:audio, Roland, Shure, Steinberg, Tascam, Yamaha
Music Theory, History & Terminology
- 120 Years of Electronic Music - Some but not all of the major milestones in electronic musical instrument development.
- Electronic Music Primer - A cool shockwave presentation at the U of Oregon that sums up some basic synthesis concepts nicely.
- Gary Ewers Easy Music Theory - For free, this really ain't bad. Classes, quizzes, answer sheets.
- Jazclass - An online class of sorts, covering basic notation and theory to more advanced topics.
- MIDI and Music Synthesis - Harmony Central tutorial - I wholeheartedly recommend reading this - twice - and saving a local copy.
- RANE Professional Audio Reference - Exhaustive list of audio terms and definitions.
- Buzzmachines.com - The best all-around site for Buzz, and the homepage as well.
- DMOZ Entry for Buzz - Great, organized, annotated Buzz links.
- Cubase.com - Not the official site, but has good forums.
- Steinberg's Official Cubase Forums - Highly moderated but still very useful.
- FruityLoops Homepage - FruityLoops homepage - best place to start.
- Reason Homepage - Reason homepage.
- ReasonFreaks - Excellent site with many resources, files, and interactive features.
- ReasonStation - Forums, tutorials, refills and more.
- DMOZ entry for MOD Software - Open directory list of good links on MODs / tracking in general.
- MAZ Sound - One of the oldest and best sites on trackers, with tons of links, downloads, and information.
- United Trackers - Non-profit organization of musicians supporting the Internet (MOD) music scene - site has good scene news and resources.
Samples & Patches
Samples in Audio / WAV Format
- Analoguesamples.com - Slow server, but TONS of great samples in an organized database.
- Loopasonic - Great site, though requires registration.
- MusicMachines: Samples - Loads of high-quality vintage analog synth samples.
- Sample Arena - Nice, simple site with a variety of sounds.
- Samplenet - Variety of good samples, including bpm-specific loops.
Samples in Soundfont Format
- Bovbjergs Free Piano Instruments - Amazing and FREE large piano samples.
- Hammersound - Huge, mirrored archive of free, high-quality soundfonts.
- Zophar's Game Soundfonts - Soundfonts that use instruments from actual games.
- CNET - "The source for computing and technology."
- freshmeat - Open-Source release news, fast and furious.
- Neowin.net - Windows-centric tech news.
- New Scientist - Science and Tech news.
- Salon.com: Technology - Tech news from online news mavens Salon, with style AND thought.
- Slashdot - News for Nerds. Stuff that matters.
- WIRED - Tech news with that "Wired" flavor.
- ZDNET - "Where Technology Takes You."