OCR00080 - Shinobi "Shuriken Mix"

Shinobi 'Shuriken Mix'

I was very happy to see this tune make it to the site so long ago. It was of the arcade music which I greatly preferred. Rayza gives this tune a very trancey late 80's/early 90's feel. I like it. But then of course I like most of the stuff Rayza does. The very first time I heard it I don't think I was tremendously impressed, but I don't know why that would be, it's just how I remember it. But make no mistake, I love this tune!

• 2 months later...

“psyche, psyche, psyche. signed, Super-Psyche.”

an OC-must, none other can rival the amount of energy featured here. you da man Rayza, just wish you'd make more oldschool dance like this. your (original) progressive techno and melodic trancers are great, but daaamn..don’t ya Feel this bassline?

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This song should be really bad, but it isn't. I guess that's the difference between genre and musicality! No really, even the musicality should be bad, due to how not that many instruments are prominent, but somehow it's still a full sound, and I like the whole song. Oldschool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The first melodic synth is pretty grating. Certainly suits the style, and I think even if I were further from my speakers it wouldn't be so bad. Where I am now it just overpowers the rest of the mix. Bringing up the bass/rest of the mix might help that.

Nice trance going on, doesn't get overly repetative. Catchy melody, and good sounds throughout, aside from the melody. Nice work.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh yeah, OCR is supposed to be all techno songs, right? Yeah, that's what I thought, mmhmm. For the time it was definitely above standards, but this doesn't hold up well after 10ish years. It's not BAD but definitely cookie-cutter and I got bored very fast. Although, I couldn't help but smile at the usage of Scorpion's spear move SFX each time it played.

Good to zone out to, not my cup of tea otherwise.

• 3 years later...

The use of Scorpion's spear hook is actually a really nice touch and fits right in with the rest of this arrangement. Doesn't exactly hold up after so many years, but it doesn't sound terrible either. I kinda agree with Vilecat, I actually don't think it was too repetitive (not as bad as some mixes, anyway), but it ran a little long near the end when you total everything up. Good for letting it play in the back while doing other things, I'd say.

• 1 year later...

Yeah it's weird, that first synth holding up the song by itself for the first thirty seconds is kind of annoying, but it's also sort of rewarding when it's joined by the faster notes and all of those sounds make a neat effect and it wouldn't be as gratifying or interesting if you didn't hear it alone first? I dunno. You might be able to speed that process up and get a similar result. 

Also oh my god this is so 2000s remix techno, but this is one of the better samples of it I think. (Speaking of samples, a little overkill on Scorpion but the sound choice itself was good!). Just a fun little song, not hall of fame but definitely a nice jam to show up in a shuffled iPod.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00080 - Shinobi "Shuriken Mix"