OCR00894 - Illusion of Gaia "Will's Journey"

djpretzel

my volumes a little low sooo.... i might miss out on some of the details

flute could be a little more smoother i think. allll smooth stuff, 1:29 caught me a little off guard, a little loud?

nevertheless, gooood stuff. WM changes it up a lot so u wont get bored =) one word to describe it would probably be smooooth. check it out

Woohoo! I've been waiting for an Illusion of Gaia OC ReMix for a while now! Great game with an even better soundtrack! I really like this mix, but I'm not really sure which IoG song it is! An interpretation of the main theme? Dark Space? Anyway, I really like the drums and the guitar parts a lot... The flute sounds a little off in the beginning and middle, but it sounds great when the (reverb?) filter is applied to it at the end. IMHO, it should be like that the whole time, but then again it's a nice way to end it. Great variations; a great mix! Now tell, of what song?

man it was such a shock to see that picture of the title screen...i never would have thought anyone would have done this game..thanks a million wintermute...

well i think this is the overworld theme possibly...i wish i could find a midi of the sky palace thing..seems interesting to do :) but anyway..

very nice array of instruments in this..well done, seemed somewhat short..i just wander about what it is still, i havent played the game in a while...

I'm diggin this. Nice smooth, flowning drumbeat, interesting instruments. The synths that come in about halfway through are really cool sounding and add some sweet texture to the tune. This is really neato sounding and done really well. Only thing was the kinda cheap sounding flute sample used. Everything else used is real high quality and the flute sound kinda stands out. Not a large problem, though. Very cool. Nice work.

Man, this is cool. I only recently started playing IoG (picked it up in the summer), but love the game already. Instant classic, and an easy game to pick up. This remix really rocks. The intro almost reminds me of Kraid's theme from Metroid. I loved the flute sample, actually. Took me a listen or two to hear the original overworld theme. The guitar really shines towards the end. Overall, great work, very reccomended.

It's about DAMN time somebody mixed from this game! IoG is definetly one of my favorite RPG's, and this mix definetly is worthy of the game. First off, I like the bells, they really add to the mix, giving it a different feel. Not too sure about the flute, it's just sounds Wintermute could have done a better job with it. No complaints though. :) It does have the fade in drums, one of my favorite musical elements, and it has a different (but good) feel to it. I always thought if somebody mixed this track they'd do it in a western style. But that would be too easy. :lol: I just hope this excellent mix starts a new trend in the site...one where IoG gets mixed as much as the FF series.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful guitar patch. I can't really place the original too well, but I do remember hearing it. This is one of those cases where I find a remix better than the original. The drums go great with the guitar, and very awesome use of swelling strings. Sound quality makes this remix very groovable, and recommended to anyone looking for a good remix.

• 2 months later...

shee jigga this thing is so fine i got it on my mind yos! i bent my beastwhistle listening to this fine piece of magical audio bliss. man this thing will tear off your head and reverse it, leaving ou with a hole in your head! c'mon foos! let's get it on wit my beastwhistle yo... becasue it has fur surrounding it. illusion of gaia is sw33t g@me yo and anybody who no like it sux0rs mwahahaha

Yea, I saved this one.

The whole thing is just pleasant through and through. For some reason, I'm having a hard time remembering the game, and where the song came from in it, so I can't give you a review (YET!) about how well I think it captures the games' spirit, but I've got it on emulator, so I'll go play a little later today and post again.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Review #3 on my "review all" list. Well, I really don't hear much of the original at all, besides some basic chords, and that lowers it a bit in my opinion, especially as I really liked the overworld music in the first place. Otherwise, it's an okay mix, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It feels more like background music than a song in its own right, and that doesn't add to the replay value.

I'm really torn on this one. I think I'd give it a 3/5 for good quality, but personally, I rate it 2/5 because it doesn't interest me that much and I wanted more of the original in there.

• 2 months later...

Ooh, this is cool. I haven't played Illusion of Gaia in several years, so this brings back a lot of memories. Calm and collected... Very good indeed. Quite catchy too, I might add. I've heard it in my head all day. Well done! Makes me want to telekinetically move boxes to solve puzzles, and such. =)

• 1 year later...

IOG for the win! Above all else, this game is my number one favorite. I've played it since before i could remember, and the deep storyline along with everything else just makes me love this game so much.

This mix here brings back a lot of memories, especially when you see Will and the gang on the world map, even if its just for a short time. I've also began thinking of my own version of South Cape with Will and Lance to go along with the guitar solo.

Nothing beats out a timeless classic :) We rarely get fresh new classics nowadays...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
shee jigga this thing is so fine i got it on my mind yos! i bent my beastwhistle listening to this fine piece of magical audio bliss. man this thing will tear off your head and reverse it, leaving ou with a hole in your head! c'mon foos! let's get it on wit my beastwhistle yo... becasue it has fur surrounding it. illusion of gaia is sw33t g@me yo and anybody who no like it sux0rs mwahahaha

I think this review says it all. :?

But anyways. Nice mix, I've had this on my playlist for a while. I really had to go back to the source to remember what I should be listening for. After that I didn't have much of a problem identifying the source, but I feel like it's placed a little too much into the background. It seems like it's almost an afterthought for most of the mix. Aside from that I like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A very colorful mix. I imagine it playing at an archaeological site as diggers unearth pots, jewels, jeweled pottery, and musical instruments used by the ancients.

The bells are rich, sounding like they once adorned a dancer's clothes for animation AND acoustics. I think the flute adds a sweetness that suggests Will's cool-headed optimism on his travels. Blazing guitar shredding and toned-down percussion during the following ear break are also pluses in variety (2:39 kinda sounds like a steady horse gallop; nifty).

And then there's my favorite element of Will's Journey: the synth that debuts at 1:27. That is a bold, rad, exotic synth. It bends, twists, and speaks in all different tongues. And the way it ends the mix... *sweet finger kiss gesture* Wild.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00894 - Illusion of Gaia "Will's Journey"