OCR01668 - Eternal Champions "Immortal Souls"

djpretzel

Well, isn't this something!

The intro could be the intro to any kind of remix so it's a pleasant surprise when the guitar and drums enter. The drums are really working to make this track energetic and succeeds. The lead synth meshes well with the guitar backing and brings a retro feel to the mix.

Nice chord change-ups at the end of what I presume is the chorus in this song. There are generally some really nice details in this arrangement, triplets, smooth pads, variations in both the melody and drumming. The melody is mostly legato, something I personally enjoy but can easily become a bit frustrating to listen to. Or so I've heard. ;)

The breakdown with the chimey sounds is very pretty but the chimes themselves are a bit too soft and synth-ish for my taste. They do work very well though. A fade out ending? Well I've been there. ;)

All in all this is a solid mix and VERY good for being a first post. Way to impress there.. Scaredsim was it? Cool.

Heh, Simon was showing me this as it was in progress and didn't believe me it would be a safe pass. This is just a really fun energetic song to listen to. Arrangement is kickin, and the sounds come together really well. The snares not that out of place imo.

First time I heard of scaredsim, he had turned up on OCR just to join the lovely SM64 project, and just wait until your hear that mix. Keep your eye on this one, hes got the good stuff.

Nice use of chiptunes - they don't bother my ears at all, like most do. I'd have loved to see them transition out to another instrument, to give it some more movement. Possible instruments might be, hummm, electric guitar, bass flute, clarinet, castlevania-style organ, all of the above?

Xylophone would make an interesting counterpart to the guitar during synth portions, though without the synth it'd be too pronounced. Hummm, happy thoughts!

P.S. Fun song, goes straight into my playlists. Don't mind the talk of changing stuff, I always get these crazy ideas that I like to think are useful ^_^

Nice and ear-catching intro, and it wastes no time getting into the rock.

Guitar is so cleanly done, I can't tell if it's synth or not. Very nice stuff either way.

Melodically, it has some nice change ups, and melds an old school vibe to a more modern rock sound, with a solid groove.

The leads are changed up frequently enough to keep things fresh, and the counterpoint is really nice as well.

Overall a great mix that has great direction and drive behind it.

Recommended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like it. Synth rock at its finest, imo, with great synths and well mixed guitars. A few too many simple synths for my taste, but that's not detracting enough to outweigh the attitude of the track. Some rock tracks have an aggressive, dark sound, this has a far lighter sound, making it enjoyable in a more relaxing way. It doesn't get old, it just keeps going, with new parts, new material. Awesome.

• 2 months later...

This is freaking fantastic, even without the knowledge that it is a debut mix. I really like how the melody wasn't just buried under a ton of effects synths and other instruments. It shines through in everything and runs with grain of the mix, which is all I ask for.

It's a fun one to listen to. It has that quality where you don't get sick of it. I can't imagine a point in time where I would not feel like listening to this, which is not to say I listen to this often. But now think I ought to.

Great remix and the birth of a great OCRemixer.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This mix has lots of good variation arrangement-wise. I love the simple but aggressive drive with the drums when they kick in. Things calm down a bit halfway through, but not too long, and the energy picks right back up. The source tune isn't one of my faves from the original OST (tough competition on that one), but it's perfect for a rock remix. All the elements are there. Also the key change is something I'm always in favor of, so well done.

Only thing I would've changed is maybe mix the piano a little louder, but that's it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01668 - Eternal Champions "Immortal Souls"