Mario 64 Bowser battle mix

Vidilian

My favourite song from the game and one you'll be very familiar with if you played the game, and who hasn't?

This is my first attempt at a rock song. It isn't exactly my first choice of genre but I think it works well for this theme.

Very early wip, only spent a couple of hours on it so far. Are the guitars too fake sounding? Feedback appreciated.

Updated:

http://sites.google.com/site/vspaine/wips/BoutwithaBeast.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

The song gets a little tiring, maybe you could put a section in the middle that was more acoustic-y (for example) to mix it up. Or build the sound up, or take the sound apart. As it is it sounds like a loop. Don't worry about "fake guitar", there are better things to do than make a realistic guitar patch IMO. The drums are are too much in the front, they sound bigger than anything else in the song -- not necessarily bad, I just don't think it works here. The lead sound has this feedback / ringing sound which sounds cool, but is used too often. Bring the lead out in front just a little more, it's the center of the piece.

I think this could stand to be sped up by like 2 BPM. I know that doesn't seem like much, but I find that adding that 2 BPM can really put some energy.

I agree with what Clockwork Dolphin said about the drums, but in my little BOSE earbuds the drums and things are perfect. He's right about the lead though, that little effect is cool, but its used to often.

Yes the guitar isn't realistic, but *shrug* it sounds good so far. Don't worry about it. If you're really worried that badly about it, then use a synth instead. >>

Thanks for feedback.

Update. I've put another couple of hours into this. Done more or less everything you've said.

I've given it an intro, quitened the drums, increased the tempo slightly and put an acoustic part in the middle to break things up. After I did the acoustuic part I noticed it sounds a bit like the Wing Cap Mario theme (to me anyway).

I've used a synth for the actually main melody of the song and kept the lead guitar for the other parts. The squealing effect stays with the guitar no matter what I do with it by the way. I'll try and figure something out though.

i like this. the only thing that throws me off is the little rhodes sounding thing in the background. it seems like the emphesis is falling at the wrong time at some parts. i think you need to do some different commpression and eq throughout the mix. cause some things just bury others at times. i like the idea though. keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall:

OK so I checked out the track. Before I dissect it a bit more, overall, I think some bass lines would help it alot imo using the lead guitar to follow for some nice creative solos. Hate to say it, but those guitars sound terrible. Very synthetic sounding with no dynamic nature at all. I'd look around for some other patches if all possible. There also seemed to be a few timing problems in some areas as well. Dont care too much for the drums but for the style it was written, they work so I guess I cant say too much about them. In some cases also the acoustic guitar chords also seem a bit much (but this also may just be because of the patch) and could probably be remedied by simple arpeggios painting the chord instead of the actual chord itself.

Dissect:

0:00 - 0:23: Ok I like the organ. The way the crashes are hitting seems a bit unrealistic, though I could be wrong. Instead, I think he'd actually fill it with a crescendo rather than strait hits. The kick and snare came in a little odd as well. I'd add a lick here giving you the opportunity to incorporate some toms. The synths came in nice, however towards the end of the phrase the dissonance chord at the end seems very awkward and with out anything else supporting it gives me a "WTF" feeling rather than a o"hh yeah chill up my spine feeling". Things that could support it, SFX like a riser or something eery that cuts off on the next phrase which you could add in a break before coming back into the next phrase giving you a big explosion.

0:23 - 0:34: See you did what I was thinking. Adding more before this part would have added a bit more significance to this part though.

0:34 - 1:30: Ok I hear a few rhythm problems both with the drums and the guitar line before the start of each phrase. I also think more needs to go in here (remember the bass I talked about) and more synths or SFX or something. It just sounds to empty realy.

1:30 - 2:10: Here's where I don't like the acoustic guitar. If it were better patches I can see it probably blending here, but what would also work is just plain taking out the drums and snare and having the guitars work it out with like I said arpeggios, outlining the chord or something. 2:09 - 2:10 the voicing doesn't sound right.

2:10 - 2:40: Sounds like a rhythm problem and a guitar note clash. Now it was nice when you went lower on the power chords on that part. Gave it a bit more feeling.

2:40 - out: Same thing.

Final Though:

I think it's a nice concept. I'm not a fan but it's still a nice production. Work at it some more, fix the ends a little and I think It's come out nice.

Review my WIP's here:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14294

Take Care :D

I think the judges'll probably think the guitar's too fake (I've been in denial)so I don't really wanna risk it. I've made 'em sound as good as possible and I'm using a keyboard so I can't get a hold of a better samples.

I always knew the concept was good but I also knew I probably wouldn't be able to execute it very well. I can only hope that one day an electric guitarist makes an actually good rock song out of this theme because imo, it deserves it. Thanks for the comments anyway. XTREEMMAK, sorry you had to right that in depth review for a wip that isn't gonna be worked on anymore... I'll get round to checking your stuff out.

I think the judges'll probably think the guitar's too fake (I've been in denial)so I don't really wanna risk it. I've made 'em sound as good as possible and I'm using a keyboard so I can't get a hold of a better samples.

I always knew the concept was good but I also knew I probably wouldn't be able to execute it very well. I can only hope that one day an electric guitarist makes an actually good rock song out of this theme because imo, it deserves it. Thanks for the comments anyway. XTREEMMAK, sorry you had to right that in depth review for a wip that isn't gonna be worked on anymore... I'll get round to checking your stuff out.

Actually you COULD convince one of the real electric guitar players to do the riffs for you man; Sixto being one of 'em, though I think he's swamped with projects atm as it is...I forget who else does real guitars, try logging onto IRC and bugging the peeps there or something :D.

• 2 years later...